Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is a huge publicity stunt both on the part of Apple and on the part of the winning bidder. And I was always taught that charity comes from the heart and not for personal recognition but it appears the 'winner' really wants to be known so lets just throw that charity/humility crap out the window.

I'd rather have a thread on Google vs. Apple or MS vs Apple or Android vs iphone than this ********.

To quote Bart Simpson....'Meh'.

At the end of the day the charity will get a ****load if money. What's wrong with that?

MacGuffin

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2006
Perfect icebreaker for the half-million dollar coffee break:

So, Tim, what's it like screwing up Steve's life's work?

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
You are confusing "guts" with "stupiditiy". If you are capable of paying $600,000 then this stunt would cost you $600,000 minus tax savings. If you can't pay, you will be bankrupt. Apart from that, a charity would lose out of some major amount of money.

As I said, guts. (Me too smart to confuse words.)

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Second highest bidder is Povely (bible audio books). Which proves once again, that religion is the #1 money making business.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Not the same things at all. Bill G. has a foundation that funds Bill's (and Melinda's) vision of how to fix the world. It's all good, but it's consistent with a mega-ego. It's not merely "donating to charity".

What does someone with a mega-ego do?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Not sure how some of you can spin over half a million going to charity as a bad thing......

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Not sure how some of you can spin over half a million going to charity as a bad thing......

It's easy...just focus on presumed self serving motive, rather than focusing on the behavior itself.

If you can attribute self serving motives (PR, personal self aggrandizement, anything nasty) you can condemn the altruistic behavior because you condemn the (presumed) motive.

It's not cool or sophisticated to be at all positive...much more sophisticated to look for, or create, something negative out of something positive.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I would think $255,000 for a full day with Bill Clinton would be more fun than 30-60 minutes with Tim Cook. Oh well, at least a lot of money is going to charity. I hope all of the money goes to those in need rather than lining someone's pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.