Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jspring86

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I recently upgraded my mid 2011 Macbook Air from Lion to Mountain Lion. Ever since I did this I have noticed that after sleeping for 30+ minutes the screen flashes blue twice before going to my login screen each time I wake the computer. I don't notice this any other time than when waking the computer, and it does not do this when sleeping for short periods of time.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I just hope there is nothing wrong with the display and it is indeed a Mountain Lion issue, I never had this problem with Lion. If it doesn't stop or I cannot resolve it I will take it to the Apple Store this weekend when I have time and can let go of the computer for a few days if necessary for repair.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Probly nothing. If u had saved an image of Lion then u can go back and find out.

Ornithorynchus

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
I'm actually experiencing the EXACT same issue and was wondering why...

Seems like I'm not the only one struggling with this behaviour.. At least, it's good to know. :)

Jspring86

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I scheduled a genius bar appointment for tomorrow just see what the hell is going on. It might just be a bug in Mountain Lion, but I want to make sure nothing is actually wrong with my display. I'll report back what I find out.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I recently upgraded my mid 2011 Macbook Air from Lion to Mountain Lion. Ever since I did this I have noticed that after sleeping for 30+ minutes the screen flashes blue twice before going to my login screen each time I wake the computer. I don't notice this any other time than when waking the computer, and it does not do this when sleeping for short periods of time.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I just hope there is nothing wrong with the display and it is indeed a Mountain Lion issue, I never had this problem with Lion. If it doesn't stop or I cannot resolve it I will take it to the Apple Store this weekend when I have time and can let go of the computer for a few days if necessary for repair.

Its probably just the display adapter reinitializing. Same thing that happens when you plug/unplug an external display. The screen goes blue and then the image kinda fades in.

Ornithorynchus

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Have you had any answers related to this problem finally ?

Thanks for sharing them if you have any ! :)

Jspring86

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
So I took this to the genius bar this past Friday. They kept it for one day and checked everything out and decided it must be software bug in Mountain Lion. They tried reinstalling the OS (which I had already tried) and it didn't change anything. I guess all we can do is wait for an update, it is pretty damn annoying though.

Jspring86

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Sadly, it appears the new update released today did not fix this bug. I was hoping maybe this situation would get resolved. :(

At least this is obviously not an isolated incident.

Last edited:

js2us2003

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Miami Beach
2011 Macbook Air flashing screen

Hey Everyone,

I am also have the same issue with my Macbook Air's screen flashing white and blue, usually when it is waking from long periods of sleep. It was super concerning for me because it seemed to start happening a few week after the first Mountain Lion install, not right away. BUT my boyfriend who updates all my computers, phones, etc is Mac Certified and has checked into this issue without me having to wait in long lines at the genius bar, and rest assure it is just a Mountain Lion problem and nothing else, apparently Apple knows about it and while it wasn't fixed with this most recent update, it should be fixed soon!

I hope this helps!:eek:

tuarai

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
My MacAir (Mid-2011) also flash with bright white light after long sleep too. It's really annoying and I want to know how to fix it.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
My GF's 2011 13 inch also has this bug. My 2011 11 inch does not. I recently did a clean install of ML for a different issue and it seems to have fixed the blue screen bug.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
my new MBA just did this (white blank screen upon wake from deep sleep). But I've woken it from deep sleep before without seeing this behavior and I don't think I've changed anything recently (only had this computer for a 4-5 days).

I reinstalled my OS from scratch too so I'm kind of surprised by this behavior if it is indeed a software bug that can be fixed by a reinstall of the OS.

It only lasted for 2-3 seconds though so not a huge deal.

Brian, 2011 Air

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Brooklyn
I got the same problem!

I do not remember when this started to happen, but my MacBook Air (mid-2011) also flashes a blue screen when it is waking up after a prolonged period of no use. I have not found a solution to this. :(

Blue71

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2013
Mountain Lion 10.8.3

I have a mid 2011 Macbook Air 13" and was considering upgrading to Mountain Lion. Has anyone found that the flashing blue screen went away with 10.8.3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.