Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I was wondering if there's a way to prevent my computer from sleeping when using a particular app. For example, when I log onto Citrix(for EMR), I don't want my computer to sleep or turn off the screen. But when I am not using the app, I want my energy settings to stay as is.
What are my options?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I was wondering if there's a way to prevent my computer from sleeping when using a particular app. For example, when I log onto Citrix(for EMR), I don't want my computer to sleep or turn off the screen. But when I am not using the app, I want my energy settings to stay as is.
What are my options?

You can use Caffeine, which will keep your computer awake without changing settings.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I also use Caffeine. It does not work automatically per application... but it is trivial (single click in menu bar) to turn on/off.

If the coffee cup is full... you stay awake. If empty... you can sleep.

/Jim

thegilly

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
The Jiggler can be set to keep your machine awake when a certain application is running. It's a small app, so you could just set it to jiggle when you're running that one app, and have The Jiggler automatically launch with OS X so it's always running and you don't have to think about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.