Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:55 AM   #1
cgk.emu
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
morse code broadcast post on 4chan

I was on 4chan the today (yeah,yeah) and found this:


http://boards.4chan.org/x/res/13765920

Interesting. What do you all make of it? Since I'm not fluent in morse code, can someone decode it?

Last edited by cgk.emu; Nov 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: i put "the other day" instead of today. pshhh
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 06:11 PM   #2
localoid
macrumors 68020
 
localoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: America's Third World
I believe the secret Morse code message translates to: "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

However, my Morse code skills are a bit rusty these days. So you might want to double-check that translation with another "reliable" source.
__________________
My remake of the definitive Populuxe film on 1950s automotive, industrial/interior/architectural design: American Look (1958), Reimagined
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 08:00 PM   #3
cgk.emu
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by localoid View Post
I believe the secret Morse code message translates to: "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."

However, my Morse code skills are a bit rusty these days. So you might want to double-check that translation with another "reliable" source.
haha

Love that movie...but not enough to watch it this year
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
monokakata
macrumors 6502a
 
monokakata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawai'i
Many amateur radio operators still use Morse code, because it amuses them. I had a ham friend who spent hours with his low-power CW (Continuous Wave, meaning suited to using Morse code) rig, trying to exchange messages with people as distant as possible. He never went to voice.

Also, some public service radio transmitters still ID themselves (usually on the hour) using Morse code.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing in the least wierd about Morse code transmissions.

Now if you want to learn about radio transmissions that have no very good explanation, google "number transmissions" or "number stations." It's pretty likely that those stations are involved in espionage.

Finally, let's remember that HF (high frequency) radio equipment can be simple, easily-maintained, very robust, low-powered, and (depending on frequency) can have a very long reach. I've lived places in the world where every mode of communications but HF radio was unreliable, but a simple HF transceiver did the job every day. I have video of a little government office in the southwestern Pacific where out the window you can see the sat telephone system the EU donated, which failed almost immediately, and a friend of mine easily ordering medical supplies from another island and arranging for an ambulance, all via HF radio.

It's not sexy, but it works very well.
monokakata is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
cgk.emu
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
Many amateur radio operators still use Morse code, because it amuses them. I had a ham friend who spent hours with his low-power CW (Continuous Wave, meaning suited to using Morse code) rig, trying to exchange messages with people as distant as possible. He never went to voice.

Also, some public service radio transmitters still ID themselves (usually on the hour) using Morse code.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing in the least wierd about Morse code transmissions.

Now if you want to learn about radio transmissions that have no very good explanation, google "number transmissions" or "number stations." It's pretty likely that those stations are involved in espionage.

Finally, let's remember that HF (high frequency) radio equipment can be simple, easily-maintained, very robust, low-powered, and (depending on frequency) can have a very long reach. I've lived places in the world where every mode of communications but HF radio was unreliable, but a simple HF transceiver did the job every day. I have video of a little government office in the southwestern Pacific where out the window you can see the sat telephone system the EU donated, which failed almost immediately, and a friend of mine easily ordering medical supplies from another island and arranging for an ambulance, all via HF radio.

It's not sexy, but it works very well.

That's really cool! I've been reading up on numbers stations, and I have to say, while I'm not convinced, this broadcast sounds suspiciously like one. I've been monitoring it pretty much all day at work ( hey it was slow today) and it has changed once, to a different message. It was morse code then some random what sounded like military phonetic alphabet (ya know, tango, Oscar etc) then back to morse code. Interesting.
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
cgk.emu
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk.emu View Post
That's really cool! I've been reading up on numbers stations, and I have to say, while I'm not convinced, this broadcast sounds suspiciously like one. I've been monitoring it pretty much all day at work ( hey it was slow today) and it has changed once, to a different message. It was morse code then some random what sounded like military phonetic alphabet (ya know, tango, Oscar etc) then back to morse code. Interesting.
Oooo!!! It's broadcasting something else now, grrrrr I've tried to decode the morse code but it's too fast :/
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:53 AM   #7
MyMac1976
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by monokakata View Post
Many amateur radio operators still use Morse code, because it amuses them. I had a ham friend who spent hours with his low-power CW (Continuous Wave, meaning suited to using Morse code) rig, trying to exchange messages with people as distant as possible. He never went to voice.

Also, some public service radio transmitters still ID themselves (usually on the hour) using Morse code.

All I'm saying is that there's nothing in the least wierd about Morse code transmissions.

Now if you want to learn about radio transmissions that have no very good explanation, google "number transmissions" or "number stations." It's pretty likely that those stations are involved in espionage.

Finally, let's remember that HF (high frequency) radio equipment can be simple, easily-maintained, very robust, low-powered, and (depending on frequency) can have a very long reach. I've lived places in the world where every mode of communications but HF radio was unreliable, but a simple HF transceiver did the job every day. I have video of a little government office in the southwestern Pacific where out the window you can see the sat telephone system the EU donated, which failed almost immediately, and a friend of mine easily ordering medical supplies from another island and arranging for an ambulance, all via HF radio.

It's not sexy, but it works very well.
I always thought radio folks were the biggest nerds
MyMac1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:38 AM   #8
ratsg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
For what ever reason, I took the time to download this. It takes quite a while.

I used the "wget" application.

wget "http://outpostecho.zapto.org:8100"

The file itself is 13392400 in size and is mpeg in format.

I wish I knew morse code but I do not. Wishful thinking I guess.

If you listen to the transmission, it (the transmission) is broken up every few minutes by a womans voice spelling out something. She talks very quickly.

Now I'm more curious than ever to hear what this is all about.

I attempted to go back to the 4chan post as provided by the OP to see if any more information had been provided there.

The link that the OP provided has now gone 404.
ratsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC