Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mordichka

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Clever idea, just a bit of a shame that its going to annoy the user whilst using the computer.

If it could be inserted the other way around, so that the padlock was behind the screen then it would be a very good product.

Actually, the device fairly unobtrusive. I doesn't block the screen, and if positioned correctly, doesn't interfere with any of the keys. It's not perfect, but it offers a simple, inexpensive first-line security solution for MacBook Airs. There are very few physical security solutions available for Airs and all some some positives and negatives.

AirLock-With-Padlock01.jpg

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Actually, the device fairly unobtrusive. I doesn't block the screen, and if positioned correctly, doesn't interfere with any of the keys. It's not perfect, but it offers a simple, inexpensive first-line security solution for MacBook Airs. There are very few physical security solutions available for Airs and all some some positives and negatives.

Well from that picture I think it looks pretty ugly and unsightly. Sorry, I like ideas like this that show an attempt to find a solution to a problem (true product design) but I think it could be improved quite simply. Have you considered options for reversing it, somehow having a flat stop on the top where you currently have the pad lock and moving the padlock and shackle so it ends up behind the screen?

The problem with Macs is people buy them because of their aesthetics (amongst other reasons), so a product designed for use with a Mac must complement those aesthetics.

That may sound harsh, but having done a degree in Industrial Design (yes thats true) I know that critique is essential but not always easy to receive.

Last edited:

Miat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
1. Keep it with you at all times. No further than an arm's length away when you take it out of your home.

2. Keep your data backed up in a safe location.

The rest in is the laps of the gods.

Mordichka

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
Well from that picture I think it looks pretty ugly and unsightly. Sorry, I like ideas like this that show an attempt to find a solution to a problem (true product design) but I think it could be improved quite simply. Have you considered options for reversing it, somehow having a flat stop on the top where you currently have the pad lock and moving the padlock and shackle so it ends up behind the screen?

The problem with Macs is people buy them because of their aesthetics (amongst other reasons), so a product designed for use with a Mac must complement those aesthetics.

That may sound harsh, but having done a degree in Industrial Design (yes thats true) I know that critique is essential but not always easy to receive.

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, the severe tolerances that help give the Airs their aesthetics also place severe limitations on cable-type security solutions. The type of “front entry” solution you suggest actually exists for 2010 and earlier Airs - it simply does not work for 2011 and 2012 Airs because of a much tighter hinge design. The opening necessary for placing a piece of material through the hinge exists for only a small angle of an opened air. The small acute angle that offers a maximum space in the hinge does not allow for a front insertion solution. The large rear obtuse angle (and only within a small range of angles) makes rear insertion possible. The device itself actually requires a complicated bend to fit in the Air - it is not a single bend, but rather a combination of several bends. As a professional engineer, with over thirty years experience, I can assure you the simple looking design is actually quite complex.

The MacAirLock is designed to serve as an impediment to the “grab and run” thief, or to deter the casual office of restaurant/coffee house thief. I usually remove the device when using my Air, although it does not obstruct the screen or prevent use of any keys.

Ugly is a rather extreme word, often in the eye of the beholder. However, I certainly respect your opinion. In the case of the MacAirLock, the trade off is some diminished aesthetics for some practical security. However, I certainly understand that any lack of aesthetics will disturb some people, especially MacBook Air owners. There is no perfect security solution for Airs. The MacAirLock works for what is is designed to do, but it is certainly not perfect, and for some perhaps, even “ugly”.

DonGosney

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2014
Laptop Security

I appreciate all of the posts here but some of the people are asking legitimate questions about how to secure their laptops. Holding it in your arms and never letting it go is one way but I believe what they’re asking about are real security tools to PREVENT their laptop from being stolen. No one wants to deal with recovering a stolen laptop when they can prevent it from being stolen in the first place.

The most vulnerable place where your laptop might be stolen is from your hotel room. Chances are that when you go out to eat that you’re not taking your laptop with you and when you go to sleep at night you’re not sleeping with your arms curled around your laptop. There are a lot of bad people out there and some even work for the hotels. Hotel room thefts are a big problem.

Another vulnerable place is a coffee shop. Chances are that whether you’re a male or a female you’re going to be seated at a table. The evildoer will walk right up getting very close and towering over the person sitting down. They’ll snatch the laptop and run out the door and into a waiting car.

If you’re a female—especially a smaller college student—you’re a prime target for this.

With the exception of the MacAir, most laptops have a vertical slot somewhere on the side where a laptop security cable can be inserted. While there are other options, this is the most common form of laptop security used. Kensington and Targus both make some very nice models that are both keyed and combination.

The cable is about four feet long and is looped through something like a chair or a table—something the thief doesn’t want to drag down the street.

There are several YouTube videos showing how easy it is to cut through this cable but everyone of them demonstrates that it really isn’t that easy and is impractical to do in public.

PLUS, as far as I’ve been able to tell, it’s physically impossible to remove this lock without destroying the laptop. Who in their right mind would buy a hot laptop with a lock and cable stub sticking out of the side. When the evildoer sees the cable attached to the laptop, they know it’s better for them to move on to find the unsuspecting laptop owner who has not secured their cable.

I work with a scholarship group and we loan out a lot of laptops to our students. I have 55 Targus combination style laptop security cables and swear by them.

What I’m still searching for, though, is a decent security system for the MacAir.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.