Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite word processor for Mac OS?
Microsoft Office Word 134 40.85%
Apple Pages 135 41.16%
Nisus Writer Express 1 0.30%
Nisus Writer Pro 3 0.91%
Mellel 4 1.22%
Mariner Writer 1 0.30%
OpenOffice.org Writer 8 2.44%
LibreOffice Writer 13 3.96%
Scrivener 25 7.62%
Bean 4 1.22%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 14, 2013, 05:25 PM   #126
Sital
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyswen79 View Post
Pages, aesthetics is important for me. I'm learning the more I conform to Apple's way of doing things the better my overall user experience is.
Aesthetics is fine until you run into compatibility issues. If you never do, then more power to you.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:14 PM   #127
josh.b
Banned

adobe indesign because I am a graphic designer. Never liked MS word on the mac (love the PC version) but never used anything else either lol.

I guess i'd have to default to pages for the general user.
josh.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:19 PM   #128
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.b View Post
adobe indesign because I am a graphic designer. Never liked MS word on the mac (love the PC version) but never used anything else either lol.

I guess i'd have to default to pages for the general user.
InDesign is not a word processor. It is a desktop publishing software. Different features.

InDesign doesn't have features designed for long and structured texts. Perhaps FrameMaker could do that, but it is not designed towards word processing either.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyswen79 View Post
Pages, aesthetics is important for me. I'm learning the more I conform to Apple's way of doing things the better my overall user experience is.
Apple's way of doing... but sometimes what you want to do is not what Apple wants you to do... so you're stuck... because some things simply cannot be done in Apple software.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 01:03 AM   #129
josh.b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaertus View Post
InDesign is not a word processor. It is a desktop publishing software. Different features.

InDesign doesn't have features designed for long and structured texts. Perhaps FrameMaker could do that, but it is not designed towards word processing either.

----------

Apple's way of doing... but sometimes what you want to do is not what Apple wants you to do... so you're stuck... because some things simply cannot be done in Apple software.
Well I use it as a word processor. Make a text box to the page margins and go. not that hard or time consuming lol. Plus I get way better control over my text vs anything MS office has to offer. you're right about publishing software but word processing is one of its sub categories as proven by my years of using it as one.
josh.b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:20 PM   #130
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.b View Post
Well I use it as a word processor. Make a text box to the page margins and go. not that hard or time consuming lol. Plus I get way better control over my text vs anything MS office has to offer. you're right about publishing software but word processing is one of its sub categories as proven by my years of using it as one.
Well, Adobe has InCopy, which is a word processor for InDesign users...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:42 PM   #131
skaertus
macrumors 68000

Microsoft Word has a very useful feature (at least for me) which is the draft mode. In Word's draft mode, when I edit footnotes, it automatically divides the screen in two so I can see the text in the top and the footnotes in the bottom. It is very useful for my kind of work.

I have not yet found any word processor that does that. Mellel has a compact view, but it is not the same thing. Nisus Writer Pro has a draft view, but it doesn't allow me to work with footnotes unless I am on page layout mode. And LibreOffice/OpenOffice does not allow that either. Nor Pages.

Does anybody know another word processor that behaves in a similar manner to Microsoft Word when working in draft mode with footnotes? Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store