Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Mar 8, 2014, 09:08 PM   #226
posnera
macrumors member

I just started playing on a rMBP 13, 2.4GHz i5, 8GB ram, Intel Iris 1024 graphics. I can't select a resolution higher than 1024/768. Is this the max I should expect? It looks fine, I'm just wondering if there are settings I could be adjusting.
posnera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:50 PM   #227
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by posnera View Post
I just started playing on a rMBP 13, 2.4GHz i5, 8GB ram, Intel Iris 1024 graphics. I can't select a resolution higher than 1024/768. Is this the max I should expect? It looks fine, I'm just wondering if there are settings I could be adjusting.
I am not sure but I know the Intel Iris isn't a dedicated graphics card so it cannot support the highest settings and is weaker than most dedicated cards even dedicated cards on Mac's a few years old.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:38 AM   #228
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by posnera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
I am not sure but I know the Intel Iris isn't a dedicated graphics card so it cannot support the highest settings and is weaker than most dedicated cards even dedicated cards on Mac's a few years old.

Edwin
Yes that is the highest resolution for your machine currently, and Edwin is correct on the Iris. The game detects hardware and sets limits on those settings based on that hardware. For the Iris, anything above that just tanks. Some playthrough is acceptable, but during firefights its really bad, so we limited to 1024x768. As you pointed out, it still looks pretty dang good on a 13" screen.

You can of course edit that setting (as many have pointed out on this thread), but whether you determine those higher resolutions as "playable" is up to you.
Aspyr-Blair is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:06 PM   #229
bradn
macrumors newbie

Hello good people of this thread.

I purchased (via Steam) and started playing Bioshock Infinite late last year, but after finding this thread and seeing Blair's promise of graphical improvements coming soon, I put BI on hold and went back and wasted time in Skyrim via bootcamp again.

Now I'm back, and a thorough skim of the new posts has told me that an update was released and higher resolutions are now available. Why am I not seeing the update or the higher options for graphics?

I'm using a 2012 rMBP, maxed out.
bradn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:03 PM   #230
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradn View Post
Hello good people of this thread.

I purchased (via Steam) and started playing Bioshock Infinite late last year, but after finding this thread and seeing Blair's promise of graphical improvements coming soon, I put BI on hold and went back and wasted time in Skyrim via bootcamp again.

Now I'm back, and a thorough skim of the new posts has told me that an update was released and higher resolutions are now available. Why am I not seeing the update or the higher options for graphics?

I'm using a 2012 rMBP, maxed out.
Resolutions are in but we are still tinkering with graphics options. Just not happy with performance yet tbh.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:28 PM   #231
bradn
macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks. Will you announce on this thread as soon the update is released to Steam?
bradn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:40 PM   #232
Aspyr-Blair
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradn View Post
Cool, thanks. Will you announce on this thread as soon the update is released to Steam?
Absolutely!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 01:41 AM   #233
MrSeanR
macrumors newbie

It looks like a pretty substantial update was released to the app store yesterday, could this be the update we have been waiting for with higher resolution support?

The curious thing is that i didn't notice an update for my copy on Steam. Is there a delay in updates being pushed to Steam?

Blair, I also want you to know that I appreciate your hard work on the game and thank you for sharing your insights with us here on the forums.

Edit: whoops, it appears to as big as an update as I thought. Just adding the in app purchase for Burial at see.

Last edited by MrSeanR; Mar 29, 2014 at 01:50 AM. Reason: I'm a dummy
MrSeanR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2014, 04:51 AM   #234
Maxime.Durez
macrumors newbie

@Aspyr-Blair

It's not completely on topic but I am reading that Apple, while seeding OS X 10.9.3 betas, tells developers to focus on graphic drivers. When the final version of 10.9.3 is released, could that mean that we will notice some performance improvements while gaming?

Could it for example make higher settings possible for bioshock infinite?
Maxime.Durez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 07:59 PM   #235
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxime.Durez View Post
@Aspyr-Blair

It's not completely on topic but I am reading that Apple, while seeding OS X 10.9.3 betas, tells developers to focus on graphic drivers. When the final version of 10.9.3 is released, could that mean that we will notice some performance improvements while gaming?

Could it for example make higher settings possible for bioshock infinite?
Don't expect much, Apple *always* asks to focus on graphics drivers in point updates. Sometimes there is an improvement, though. It all depends on your graphics card and what Apple is updating, obviously.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games