Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkitchen0406

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
What apps would you recommend to a new macbook pro owner. Excluding the obvious apps made by apple.

Thank you

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I mainly use Pocket, Day One, VLC and iStat Menus. Other than that, it's the usual Google and Microsoft suites and a few games.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Why on earth do you people even use macbook pros? just use airs... I know I would.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
there are already a gazillion threads about this. a search will find a lot of them.

App suggestions depend entirely on what you are planning to do with the machine. Video editing? web design? writing books?

bkitchen0406

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
I am a network Engineer at work, but when I come home I want a powerful computer that do anything creative, entertainment, or productivity wise. This computer also has to be as ultra portable as possible and reliable as possible. I use to have a macbook air, and it was not powerful enough for my needs. It's a wonderful product though.

To answer your question, some people actually use all the raw horse power the macbook pro provides and need something portable.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Why on earth do you people even use macbook pros? just use airs... I know I would.

I had an MBA and returned it for a MBP 2012 BC storage is way too much money on a MBA then I can get on a MBP, also I can have a HDD where the Superdrive is, so having two drives is a bonus. I did love the portability of the AIR. but the fact that I could not upgrade the ram and SSD without buying a whole other unit was frustrating, even though OWC has aftermarket SSD's, just cost too much.

I try to use the minimal apps needed, however since I do a lot of video editing and creation, I have loaded:

vlc

coconut battery

Firefox - some web sites just do not work perfectly on Safari and I do not like chrome

MS Office 2011 - iWorks does not play with Office files well and I use Office for work, so it was an easy fit for me

Stuffit Deluxe for compressed files

Carbon Copy Cloner - many uses

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I am a network Engineer at work, but when I come home I want a powerful computer that do anything creative, entertainment, or productivity wise. This computer also has to be as ultra portable as possible and reliable as possible. I use to have a macbook air, and it was not powerful enough for my needs. It's a wonderful product though.

To answer your question, some people actually use all the raw horse power the macbook pro provides and need something portable.

Why not start with installing the same software you had on your Air? I mean, you're not someone who has never worked on a computer before... not sure what were you expecting when asking: "what software should I get?" As if we have a clue who you are, what you are / were doing in the past or what you are planning on doing...

Everyone has different needs and likes. Would it really help you if I'd enumerate the software I find useful for my professional interests ( programming ) or hobby? I highly doubt it...

Just saying...

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Wifi Explorer - in depth wifi breakdown
Bartender - customize the way menu bar icons are displayed
iStat Menu - monitor system
Diptic - photo montages
Cheatsheet - hold down command key in any app to see all shortcuts
Hazel - easy Mac automation tool
Detune - great for getting content on/off iOS devices when switching Macs
GeekTool - customize your Mac desktop
Pinpoint - customize your pointer with flames, text, fullscreen crosshairs, etc.
Caffeine - keeps your screen from sleeping
TorBrowser - explore the depths of the internet
uTorrent - self explanatory
BBedit - text editor
Omnifocus - high powered task manager
Things - friendly task manager
Colorstrokes - another great photo editor
Pixelmator - superb photo editor
Chrome - good alternative browser to Safari
Handbrake - convert movie formats
Ten Thumbs - typing tutor
Quickres - change screen resolutions
DaisyDisk - elaborate disk space manager for people with small hard drives
PixelSafari - pixelated old school Safari browser
Textwrangler - free text editor

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I had an MBA and returned it for a MBP 2012 BC storage is way too much money on a MBA then I can get on a MBP, also I can have a HDD where the Superdrive is, so having two drives is a bonus. I did love the portability of the AIR. but the fact that I could not upgrade the ram and SSD without buying a whole other unit was frustrating, even though OWC has aftermarket SSD's, just cost too much.

I try to use the minimal apps needed, however since I do a lot of video editing and creation, I have loaded:

vlc

coconut battery

Firefox - some web sites just do not work perfectly on Safari and I do not like chrome

MS Office 2011 - iWorks does not play with Office files well and I use Office for work, so it was an easy fit for me

Stuffit Deluxe for compressed files

Carbon Copy Cloner - many uses
Funny, the whole first paragraph applies to rMBP. :(

I don't like the fact what apple did with the MBP sector. It annoys me, they never did that, they just replaced a model and be done with it.

Because some folks want a 15" screen perhaps?
Makes sense.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'll list some of my favorites.

Bartender (mentioned previously)

iStat Menus (also mentioned previously)

CopyLess - an extended clipboard manager. You know how the system clipboard replaces its contents every time you perform a copy command? CopyLess stores copied text, images, etc. and allows you to easily re-paste older items without having to go to the original source. The free "lite" version in the app store stores a maximum of 10 items; the paid version can store up to 100. (There are a few other programs that perform similar functions but have different interfaces; CuteClips and Clips are two that I've used in the past, but I prefer CopyLess.)

RipIt - for DVD ripping. Creates an image file that can be opened in DVD Player, and rips out copy protection. If you have a lot of DVDs that you want to encode and some disk space to spare, RipIt can be a nice first step in the process, followed up by using HandBrake and queuing all of the files. RipIt has an encoder built-in, but I always use HandBrake.

HandBrake - for DVD encoding and light re-encoding of other media files.

Transmission - free BitTorrent client.

gfxCardStatus - allows you to see whether you're using the integrated graphics chip or the discrete graphics card. You can also disable dynamic switching and force the system to use integrated-only or discrete-only. Some programs inappropriately activate the discrete graphics card and drain your battery very quickly in the process; I use this program to force integrated-only.

Meteorologist - a free weather application that resides in your menu bar. There are a number of other paid types that look a bit snazzier. I used to use the weather widgets in Dashboard heavily, but it looks like Apple might remove Dashboard at some point in the future; hence I'm transitioning to menu bar applications. (If you have Bartender, having more menu bar applications isn't a big deal.)

Little Snitch - a network monitor that alerts you to and allows you to block outgoing network connections. I like to know if a program is "phoning home" or connecting to weird websites, and Little Snitch allows me to see that and block those connections. It would also potentially alert me to an infection on my system if and when that infection attempted to make connections.

Reeder - RSS client.

Those are the applications I use that would appeal for general usage, I'd imagine. If you're constantly on the lookout for new applications, I can recommend the website Appstorm. They frequently look over different applications and give an explanation and review of their functions. It's pretty useful - I've discovered two or three new applications through them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.