Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
My Church needed a wi-fi hotspot so I proceeded in getting an Airport Extreme (AE). They currently have a Cisco router the furnishes their internet (not wirelessly). Here is my problem. I removed the Cisco router and plugged up the Airport Extreme and I get nothing, just an Amber light on it. Thinking the problem is on their ISP side, I plug the WAN ethernet directly into a computer and it works fine. Spent a few hours on the phone with their ISP doing some troubleshooting to no avail. decided to plug back up the orginal router and then use an ethernet cable to plug into the extreme from the cicso router. That seems to work fine but I would like to get rid of the Cicso router. Am I missing something? Why won't the AE work? I can assure you that it's not a problem with the AE. Any ideas?

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
My Church needed a wi-fi hotspot so I proceeded in getting an Airport Extreme (AE). They currently have a Cisco router the furnishes their internet (not wirelessly). Here is my problem. I removed the Cisco router and plugged up the Airport Extreme and I get nothing, just an Amber light on it. Thinking the problem is on their ISP side, I plug the WAN ethernet directly into a computer and it works fine. Spent a few hours on the phone with their ISP doing some troubleshooting to no avail. decided to plug back up the orginal router and then use an ethernet cable to plug into the extreme from the cicso router. That seems to work fine but I would like to get rid of the Cicso router. Am I missing something? Why won't the AE work? I can assure you that it's not a problem with the AE. Any ideas?

It's a common misconception that a router automatically includes a modem.
All Apple routers do not (AExpress, AExtreme, TimeCapsule.)
Quite possibly your Cisco router does have a modem.

I have a Draytek Vigor 120 modem between my AExtreme and the cable DSL connection.

List the model number of the the Cisco router and it should be possible to verify whether you do have a router with a modem. I also have an old Linksys (now Cisco) router that is also a modem. With this unit, the router part can be disabled so that it only acts as a modem. Maybe this is also possible.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
What error message is it giving? In your AirPort Utility, if you click on the amber light, what does it say?

You say the modem is separate. Could it be that it's a combination modem/router? If so, connecting it directly to the Extreme will give a flashing amber light due to a double NAT error. You will need to set up the Extreme in bridge mode to make it solid green (that or tell it to ignore the double NAT error, but that won't fix the issue).

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
With so many people with iPads using the bible app in place of the actual Bible, it is well needed.

I can tell you that it does not include the modem as our ISP modem is seperate.

That's another image I can't take out of my head: iPads in churches :D

Sorry if that comes out as douchey, but that's definitely funny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.