Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
http://updates.gizmodo.com/post/34858453928/the-ipad-minis-screen-isnt-retina-but-its-pixels

The iPad mini is where things get interesting. Its smaller size necessitates a few sacrifices, and the Retina Display (at this point) simply cannot be made to fit the new small chassis, so to speak. But lo! The difference between the 4th Gen and the mini is not that huge when examined under the microscope. In fact, the pixels of the Retina Display are only 2/3 the size of the iPad mini. In the older iterations, the pixels of the 4th Gen are ½ the size of the older versions, or .50. Here, they’re a full 16% (.16, since the 4th Gen’s pixels are 1/3 or .66 of the size of the mini) larger in comparison. This means the difference between the two, is less noticeable. In fact, to the naked eye, it’s negligible. Why is this? Since it’s a smaller screen, the pixels are packed much more densely.

... And the Apple is doing it right, as always, after all, continues ... I told you so :D

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
... And the Apple is doing it right, as always, after all, continues ... I told you so :D

Who are you and what did you tell us that you are bragging about?

Anyway, I find the screen acceptable but also noticeably poor for certain tasks. Its weird because I'm coming from an iPad 2 where I had no issues with text, but on the Mini then smaller text found all around the UI or most websites aren't great so hopefully some UI tweaks and additional default settings that cater to a 7" screen can be made in future OS updates.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
iAi

iBrag nothing.

iKid.

uAllRight, gadgets are serious business? :D

----------

Seriously though, the non-stop OA drama or complains about the lack of retina in Mini must stop. To Retina or nothing obsessed fans, it's either you don't buy if you don't like it or check it out first closely in stores before you buy it.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Its smaller size necessitates a few sacrifices, and the Retina Display (at this point) simply cannot be made to fit the new small chassis, so to speak. But lo! The difference between the 4th Gen and the mini is not that huge when examined under the microscope. In fact, the pixels of the Retina Display are only 2/3 the size of the iPad mini

Oh, that's why, it is really nice, pleasant to my eyes.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I am very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the screen on my mini. Especially with all the complaints on this forum. The ONLY issue I see if that very small text looks a little fuzzy. As soon as I zoom in a little, text becomes quite sharp. I even notice this same effect with the MacRumors logo on the too left of this page. I wonder if this is an issue that could be addressed somehow with a software update?

I sold my iPad 3 to get the mini because I wanted something smaller and lighter. So far I'm very happy with my decision.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
This is kind of an obvious thread. The iPad 2 had a resolution of 1024x768 on a 9.7" screen. Obviously for that resolution to fit on a 7.9" screen, the pixels will have to be smaller. A second grader can figure that out.

It's still the same pixel density as the iPhone 3GS, which isn't great. However, I'll be swapping my iPad 3 for a mini as soon as I get the chance. The weight is just to die for.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Some posters here are too old to whine / post here but did not know that. :p

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It's the same pixel density as pre-4 iPhones, I knew what to expect. I personally wouldn't be able to stand it, but I know some people aren't so finicky so good for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.