Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Saileshbreaker
macrumors regular

Do i need a new sim card for 4G?

Hi, i recently bought an iPhone 5 while i was on holidays in UK, the phone is GSM model A1429 and is factory unlocked. I am now back to my country and we have 2 carriers with LTE service, the iPhone 5 supports both carrier's LTE network, however my iPhone only has a 3G toggle switch, not the LTE one. Any help?
Saileshbreaker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saileshbreaker View Post
Hi, i recently bought an iPhone 5 while i was on holidays in UK, the phone is GSM model A1429 and is factory unlocked. I am now back to my country and we have 2 carriers with LTE service, the iPhone 5 supports both carrier's LTE network, however my iPhone only has a 3G toggle switch, not the LTE one. Any help?
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

According to Apple support page for LTE, the A1429 GSM model supports EE LTE network in UK. Is this the network you have?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
You will need a SIM that supports LTE.

Whether or not your existing SIM does is down to how old it is and how long your carrier has been issuing LTE SIMs for.

Some carriers don't issue LTE SIMs unless people specifically need one.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Saileshbreaker
macrumors regular

I already have a 4G capable sim-card from my carrier but still only a 3G toggle switch is present not LTE.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

According to Apple support page for LTE, the A1429 GSM model supports EE LTE network in UK. Is this the network you have?
I'm not in the UK. The country i am right now LTE bands is 1800mhz & 2100mhz, so the model A1429 should work without any problem
Saileshbreaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
I already have a 4G capable sim-card from my carrier but still only a 3G toggle switch is present not LTE.

----------

I'm not in the UK. The country i am right now LTE bands is 1800mhz & 2100mhz, so the model A1429 should work without any problem
did you update the APN to that carrier? not sure what else it could be
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Saileshbreaker
macrumors regular

The Iphone 5 is not officially launched here. The apple supported carrier is Orange but still no LTE option despite it being the official iPhone carrier
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I'd call your carrier to see if they can help you.
They might need to enable LTE on your account.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Saileshbreaker
macrumors regular

My carrier over here does not put any restriction on the use of data services (3G/LTE) , you can buy a prepay sim card and use 3G/LTE straight away, the activation is done just by sending a text to the carrier, i have contacted my carrier and they informed me that LTE is already enabled on my account
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I dont know what else you can do.
You told them you have an unlocked iphone 5 and not getting any LTE?
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #10
vbtwo31984
macrumors regular

In the US, I could not use my iPhone 4 SIM with an LTE phone to get LTE. I would only get 3G service and got an SMS from AT&T to call them to switch to an LTE plan. After calling them, they said I should go to a store and get a new SIM card from them, so the SIM card does matter.
vbtwo31984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone