Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
if you want beats by dre, you will get a snazzy looking, cool-to-have set of headphones that can be outperformed by half the price. while beats by dre isn't quite as bad as Bose when it comes to being overpriced and delivering terrible quality, there are plenty of other options when it comes to quality sound for less money.

that being said, it really isn't that important. if you buy the beats by dre headphones and are happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.

kobiano

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2012
I've had my beats solo hd for about 8 months now. I use them heavily--at the gym, traveling, airports, at home, and they get folded up all the time, and they still look new, perform as new, and is NOT BROKEN.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Neh, cans are more hygenic and more comfortable. Plus when it comes to delivering, in-ears usually can't handle the beat.

Theyre a pain in the arse to carry though, I dont really like having things that big round my neck.

Hygienes for *******.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
if you want beats by dre, you will get a snazzy looking, cool-to-have set of headphones that can be outperformed by half the price. while beats by dre isn't quite as bad as Bose when it comes to being overpriced and delivering terrible quality, there are plenty of other options when it comes to quality sound for less money.

Haha, no. With Beats, all you get is bass, bass and a flimsy headband. And with the Studios, you get 'noise cancelling', which basically amounts to nothing other than adding a high pitched whine to the sound.

Nobody buys Bose for the sound quality- the majority of their headphone customers purchase their QuietComfort line, and those do a damn good job of cancelling noise. You could have the best headphones in the world and it wouldn't matter on a plane because the engine whine is going to mess up your sound quality anyways. Good noise cancellation and decent sound quality is all most travelers need and the QC series are basically the best in that regard.

And no, in-ears are not suitable replacements for an ANC headset.

Last edited:

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Haha, no. With Beats, all you get is bass, bass and a flimsy headband. And with the Studios, you get noise cancelling which does nothing other than add a high pitch whine to the sound.

Nobody buys Bose for the sound quality- the majority of their headphone customers purchase their QuietComfort line, and those do a damn good job of cancelling noise while still providing decent sound quality. They're certainly better than any Audio-Technica or Sony ANC headset I've owned.

(and no, in-ears are not suitable replacements, sorry)

Bose are quite good at making small speakers sound acceptable.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Bose are quite good at making small speakers sound acceptable.

You sure are quick, you managed to quote my pre-edited message :p

If there's anything Bose do right, it's noise cancellation. It's no wonder that so many frequent fliers have a pair of QCs in their rollerboard.

I'm not so sure about their 'small speakers' though, I've had several of the Bose SoundDocks and they weren't that great. They were pretty loud considering how small the unit was though.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
You sure are quick, you managed to quote my pre-edited message :p

If there's anything Bose do right, it's noise cancellation. It's no wonder that so many frequent fliers have a pair of QCs in their rollerboard.

I'm not so sure about their 'small speakers' though, I've had several of the Bose SoundDocks and they weren't that great. They were pretty loud considering how small the unit was though.

Please, I'm anything but quick. Time just flies when you're having fun... maybe I'm just that good.

(I don't know where I'm going with that)

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
lol @ bose small speakers sounding acceptable.

i can spend a quarter of the money on something from Orb Audio that absolutely trounces Bose.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
Ok thinking of grabbing beats pro for 249. They are real so let's leave that out. Figured I'd reach out to Mac community. I know monster has some serious haters but I'm simply looking for the thoughts on beats pro with a 249 price point. Better? More worth it?

For that exact Price I suggest you get
Bowers and Wilkins P5. Better as an overall and the bass doesnt screech.
B&W p5

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P5/Overview.html

I have both btw, B&W are better, beats are just fame for now

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
ihad beats tour for over a year.. i like the flat red cable.. after a long tme of having issues in regards to comfort.. i got myself audio technica athm50le... love it.. tha stays in the house because of the very long cord... then checked on meelectronics m6p and i sure like it better than my beats tour.. and the last is e jaybird freedom 4... this is my option for wireless headphone when running... comfortable and sound good too.. i guess, that's my options for headphones.. i'll prolly give my beats to my sister...

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
so ive asked people on other forums and they say they suck and all that. but do they really? i currently have a pair of skullcandy headphones. if i get beats by dre headphones will i notice a different in quality, bass, loudness, and sound? im either getting the beats by dre http://www.nlbeatsbydre.com/ executive, pro, or studio headphones.

That's a Chinese Scam site that you promote here. I wonder if you are really that naive to buy there or if you are a part of that scam?

http://whois.domaintools.com/nlbeatsbydre.com

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
He's a troll at the very least. I posted a few days back advising the mods to block these users and these threads, but instead they deleted my posts. Bravo fellas! :rolleyes:

No idea about that. I reported that dude with the 'report button' and kept my messages as short as possible and simply to the facts. And boom... gone he was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.