Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:04 AM   #1
extramental
macrumors newbie

Another silly bootcamp thread (2012 imac)

whats up i cant find a straight answere to this question so i hope you guys can help me.

i have windows 7 64 bit cd and i have 2012 imac that will arrive in few days , i also have 16 gb flash drive. my question is considering that imac has no cd drive how can I burn a ISO image of windows on the flash drive ( i have macbook 13 in 2011year also) using my macbook and than hopefully install it on imac 2012.
thanks
sincerely me
extramental is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:24 AM   #2
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by extramental View Post
whats up i cant find a straight answere to this question so i hope you guys can help me.

i have windows 7 64 bit cd and i have 2012 imac that will arrive in few days , i also have 16 gb flash drive. my question is considering that imac has no cd drive how can I burn a ISO image of windows on the flash drive ( i have macbook 13 in 2011year also) using my macbook and than hopefully install it on imac 2012.
thanks
sincerely me
Buy parallels 8, and download a Win7 ISO from a torrent and use your legit product key to install.

Ps. bootcamp is garbage.
TheGreenBastard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:25 AM   #3
nizmoz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Buy parallels 8, and download a Win7 ISO from a torrent and use your legit product key to install.

Ps. bootcamp is garbage.
Not for gaming. It's a must.
nizmoz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmoz View Post
Not for gaming. It's a must.
Ok, if OP is gaming then fine. He can use whatever he prefers.

But to answer his question he should download the ISO or get an external optical drive. Common sense.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:10 AM   #5
extramental
macrumors newbie

i cant buy an external drive right now .
my question is how do i burn iso on flash drive and yes i do need bootcamp for gaming.
**** parallels
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:13 AM   #6
psirix
macrumors member

Quote:
my question is how do i burn iso on flash drive and yes i do need bootcamp for gaming.
**** parallels
Microsoft has a windows 7 USB tool you can download. Point the app to the ISO and it will create it on your USB.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Last edited by psirix; Jan 6, 2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Stupit typo ;)
psirix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:16 AM   #7
extramental
macrumors newbie

im downloading an iso right now just need someone to explain how to burn it on flash drive

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by psirix View Post
Microsoft has a windows 7 USB tool you can download. Point the app to the ISO and it will create it on your USB.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
thats an exe file i dont have windwos only mac
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:11 AM   #8
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Quote:
im downloading an iso right now just need someone to explain how to burn it on flash drive

----------

http://www.poweriso.com/download.htm

----------

Quote:
**** parallels
Have you ever tried it?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:20 AM   #9
vodouman
macrumors regular

I had a lot of problems with this.

I had a legitimate Win 7 64bit ISO. Used the M$ tool to put the ISO on a thumb drive and I could not get OS X to boot from it at all. I even installed rEFIt. I could see the ISO but it wouldn't boot from it. Had to burn a DVD in the end and do it that way.

Just a word of advice. If you manage to get it working via USB please let me know how

Also... Disk Utility will not mount the ISO to the USB stick. I actually had to use a Windows machine to do so. It was a massive amount of hassle.

27" Aluminium iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 3 TB Fusion Drive;
vodouman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Slow Programmer
macrumors regular

I don't mean to sound silly, but I honestly don't know. What does Apple recommend to do it this situation? Have you called them for assistance? I am sure they have looked at this as they have been removing the Superdrives from their computers with each new generation that is released, yet they still offer Boot Camp.
Slow Programmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Adam552
macrumors regular

Open Boot Camp Assistant on the iMac.. it will put the ISO on the flash drive along with driver files and do it all for you.

Transfer the ISO over using the flash drive first though (or any other way).
Adam552 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:01 PM   #12
extramental
macrumors newbie

my imac will arrive in 3 days so ill have to do that as of now im gona put the iso on the flash than whenver i have imac ill transfer it on hdd and see what happens
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:15 PM   #13
leman
macrumors 68040

The Bootcamp Assistant on Macs without optical drive will offer you an option of making an installable USB drive from an ISO
leman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #14
vodouman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Programmer View Post
I don't mean to sound silly, but I honestly don't know. What does Apple recommend to do it this situation? Have you called them for assistance? I am sure they have looked at this as they have been removing the Superdrives from their computers with each new generation that is released, yet they still offer Boot Camp.
Apple offer Boot Camp so that people have it as an option. If people have a little bit of trouble accessing something that Apple probably don't want their users doing in the first place - I'm sure they're okay with it.

27" Aluminium iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 3 TB Fusion Drive;
vodouman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:06 AM   #15
private4587
macrumors newbie

Bootcamp not working

I received my new 21" imac last Friday and has I need windows decided to try and use Bootcamp to install windows 7. After trying various flash drives i got one that worked. Bootcamp ran creating bootable flash drive with required files and created boot partition. But when rebooted it presented me with the drive options and when selected flashdrive came back with non bootable disk please insert correct disk? Any help would be much appreciated.
private4587 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:47 AM   #16
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:

thanks
sincerely me
Microsoft has a utility that will let you image it to a bootable USB drive...

Quote:

----------

...which you should run on any nearby PC. The world is filled with PCs, I'm sure you'll find one you can use for this simple task.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac