Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old May 5, 2013, 06:27 AM   #1
eds2020
macrumors newbie

Bluetooth connectivity issue

Hi all,

I have seen this issue raised on a few forums but there as been no resolution so I'm looking for a different solution.

I bought a (fake) PS3 controller to use with my mac. When I try to connect the controller to my Mac, the Mac thinks the device is a keyboard and so requests a pincode to be entered on the keyboard - this is not possible on a gamepad.

Is there a bluetooth connections file on my Mac that can be edited to spoof the pin or a previous connection to the device?

Thanks.
eds2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds2020 View Post
Hi all,

I have seen this issue raised on a few forums but there as been no resolution so I'm looking for a different solution.

I bought a (fake) PS3 controller to use with my mac. When I try to connect the controller to my Mac, the Mac thinks the device is a keyboard and so requests a pincode to be entered on the keyboard - this is not possible on a gamepad.

Is there a bluetooth connections file on my Mac that can be edited to spoof the pin or a previous connection to the device?

Thanks.
I am pretty sure you can use it wired with a USB cable.

Although I don't think the sync issues are 100% down to the pad being a fake. I have synced fake/third party ones before.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:16 AM   #3
learningmore
macrumors newbie

Generic PS3 Wireless Controllers do not pair

Edwin, thanks for your vote of confidence. I wish our generic controllers would work. Mine was $12 on Amazon: "HK PS3 Wireless Controller". The model # on the back is the same as Sony's controllers, only mine does not have "A1" at the end of the model number.

I posted an image here that shows what he is discussing- the device is actually recognized as a keyboard.

Here is a screenshot of the Bluetooth Advanced Pane:

Additionally, the "Services:" area says none, where official PS3 Controllers show:
Services:
PNP Information
Wireless Controller

I even tried editing the Plist, copying plist keys from one bluetooth device unto the generic PS3 controller. As soon as the computer attempted to connect to the controller, it "corrected" my edits to the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, changing it back to a keyboard.
learningmore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games