Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:47 PM   #126
Typifyre
macrumors newbie

I have had a Mac Pro 2,1, for some time, that I was never able to successfully achieve AHCI mode under Windows with and just recently purchased a 5,1. What are the chances the newer hardware would affect the relative ease of achieving this? I'd love to still be able to use the Bootcamp Control Panel as my primary boot disk is Windows, but was put off by the amount of time I spent NOT getting it to work last time. I have a copy of both Windows 7 & 8 x64, if either would be a better candidate.

The instructions seem rather long and convoluted, anywhere I've found them. From my own personal experience changing the disk mode after installing Windows even on a Windows machine is a problem. But that's likely an issue the MBR patch resolves. What are the chances you could patch the MBR of an NTFS formatted disk prior to installing Windows, letting Windows install the AHCI drivers for you during the OS install after being forced into AHCI mode by the patched MBR?
Typifyre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:10 PM   #127
sauria
macrumors regular

Success?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typifyre View Post
I have had a Mac Pro 2,1, for some time, that I was never able to successfully achieve AHCI mode under Windows with and just recently purchased a 5,1. What are the chances the newer hardware would affect the relative ease of achieving this? I'd love to still be able to use the Bootcamp Control Panel as my primary boot disk is Windows, but was put off by the amount of time I spent NOT getting it to work last time. I have a copy of both Windows 7 & 8 x64, if either would be a better candidate.

The instructions seem rather long and convoluted, anywhere I've found them. From my own personal experience changing the disk mode after installing Windows even on a Windows machine is a problem. But that's likely an issue the MBR patch resolves. What are the chances you could patch the MBR of an NTFS formatted disk prior to installing Windows, letting Windows install the AHCI drivers for you during the OS install after being forced into AHCI mode by the patched MBR?
Did you get it working? I am about to install on a Mac Pro 5,1 (2012) 3.33
sauria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:22 PM   #128
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauria View Post
Did you get it working? I am about to install on a Mac Pro 5,1 (2012) 3.33
If it's Windows Vista or later, boot from the Windows installation DVD, select "repair", then "command prompt". Run REGEDIT and set the AHCI service to "boot time". Windows has the right drivers on the disk, you just need to let the pre-boot environment know to start them.

Just Yahoo! for "windows ahci won't boot" for cookbook explanations.

[The above assumes that the Windows system was installed with the disks in "IDE" or "legacy" mode, and you're trying to change it later.]
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 01:56 PM   #129
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
If it's Windows Vista or later, boot from the Windows installation DVD, select "repair", then "command prompt". Run REGEDIT and set the AHCI service to "boot time". Windows has the right drivers on the disk, you just need to let the pre-boot environment know to start them.

Just Yahoo! for "windows ahci won't boot" for cookbook explanations.

[The above assumes that the Windows system was installed with the disks in "IDE" or "legacy" mode, and you're trying to change it later.]
To enable AHCI from the start its trickier. you can try hard powering off windows setup at the screen where it copies over the files, modding the mbr in OSX using the scripts only as the enabler app requires the ntfs boot volume to be called bootcamp for it to work. Then reboot back off the DVD and continue setup. Not sure if the bootcamp support drivers will install correctly though with a native AHCI driver loaded at the start though so I do the tried and trusted method of legacy mode first.
Gav Mack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 02:16 PM   #130
sauria
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav Mack View Post
To enable AHCI from the start its trickier. you can try hard powering off windows setup at the screen where it copies over the files, modding the mbr in OSX using the scripts only as the enabler app requires the ntfs boot volume to be called bootcamp for it to work. Then reboot back off the DVD and continue setup. Not sure if the bootcamp support drivers will install correctly though with a native AHCI driver loaded at the start though so I do the tried and trusted method of legacy mode first.
Thanks, all. Bootcamp doesn't want to install on an external SSD. Anyone have luck with that? Thank you.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 04:10 PM   #131
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks, all. Bootcamp doesn't want to install on an external SSD. Anyone have luck with that? Thank you.
Only way I've got external SSD's working is with setting up the original PCIe disk and using winclone on iMac's and MBP using thunderbolt enclosures hosting them. Not got one going in a Mac Pro tower cos PCIe SATA cards have to have a bios to boot windows properly in legacy mode and I don't think many SATA cards bios support the ESATA port for booting windows.

I've had to use twin SSD's off a solo x2 SATA 3 PCIe card in my 3,1 to boot windows properly. Having the windows partition on the same SSD it just wouldn't boot off it full stop which Apricorn say is a 3,1 specific problem. I had to use sticky thermal pads to stick a second 840 evo on top of the other which screws in the card, use the x2's second SATA port to connect and use power off the optical power extension I've run for the usb PCIe 3.0 card. Now I have SATA 3 on both OSX and windows 7. I installed windows and bootcamp in sled 2, ran the x2 empty to let windows install the driver, patched the mbr, got intel AHCI going with MSAHCI then upgraded to the 10.1.1008 rst driver only. That's the latest rst for my 3,1 and does not have the 3tb drive bug. Then I moved the 840 evo from sled 2, stuck it on top of the first SSD and finally it works great, leaving my sleds free for spinning disks.

It was probably the biggest pita bootcamp I've done but was cos I wanted SATA 3 or bust for dual booting windows and OSX. Though it takes a little longer to boot I do notice it's quite a bit faster in all round use, get about 470mb instead of 270 in a sled.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 05:48 PM   #132
sauria
macrumors regular

Quote:
Only way I've got external SSD's working is with setting up the original PCIe disk and using winclone on iMac's and MBP using thunderbolt enclosures hosting them. Not got one going in a Mac Pro tower cos PCIe SATA cards have to have a bios to boot windows properly in legacy mode and I don't think many SATA cards bios support the ESATA port for booting windows.

I've had to use twin SSD's off a solo x2 SATA 3 PCIe card in my 3,1 to boot windows properly. Having the windows partition on the same SSD it just wouldn't boot off it full stop which Apricorn say is a 3,1 specific problem. I had to use sticky thermal pads to stick a second 840 evo on top of the other which screws in the card, use the x2's second SATA port to connect and use power off the optical power extension I've run for the usb PCIe 3.0 card. Now I have SATA 3 on both OSX and windows 7. I installed windows and bootcamp in sled 2, ran the x2 empty to let windows install the driver, patched the mbr, got intel AHCI going with MSAHCI then upgraded to the 10.1.1008 rst driver only. That's the latest rst for my 3,1 and does not have the 3tb drive bug. Then I moved the 840 evo from sled 2, stuck it on top of the first SSD and finally it works great, leaving my sleds free for spinning disks.

It was probably the biggest pita bootcamp I've done but was cos I wanted SATA 3 or bust for dual booting windows and OSX. Though it takes a little longer to boot I do notice it's quite a bit faster in all round use, get about 470mb instead of 270 in a sled.
Thank you for the detailed report. It sounds like Boot Camp want you to live in the IDE drive era. Perhaps I will install this on my secondary SSD in one of the drive bays. I am tempted to try what you did though, it just seems like quite a hassle.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 11:17 PM   #133
CrazyNurse
macrumors regular

Quote:

I had a Solo x2 that I had to return because it was DOA, but plan on getting a replacement one.
With the pcie card, will I be able to put OSX on one SSD and a bootcamp WIN7 on a second SSD (using the extra SATA III connector) without going through all this AHCI driver hoopla?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 02:30 AM   #134
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed report. It sounds like Boot Camp want you to live in the IDE drive era. Perhaps I will install this on my secondary SSD in one of the drive bays. I am tempted to try what you did though, it just seems like quite a hassle.

Apple certainly did want inferior disk performance with windows, without AHCI it certainly is. If you are installing and running Bootcamp on an SSD in sled 2 in comparison to what I had to do its pretty easy to do with the enabler app, just like all the other intel chipset macs. It only got to pita levels cos I wanted it booting in sata 3!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 08:39 AM   #135
sauria
macrumors regular

Quote:
Apple certainly did want inferior disk performance with windows, without AHCI it certainly is. If you are installing and running Bootcamp on an SSD in sled 2 in comparison to what I had to do its pretty easy to do with the enabler app, just like all the other intel chipset macs. It only got to pita levels cos I wanted it booting in sata 3!
Yes, I would want SATA 3 too, I wonder how Bootcamp works on the new Mac Pro with PCI-E SSD?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 09:03 AM   #136
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, I would want SATA 3 too, I wonder how Bootcamp works on the new Mac Pro with PCI-E SSD?
Works great with the one I setup, apart from being Win 8.1 and 7 being incompatible with it. A Microsoft OS I am going to skip till Window 9 just like I did Vista!

With a 5,1 you shouldn't have as many problems with the solo x2 than I did with my 2008.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:21 PM   #137
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

If anyone has Euclid1's patchcode.bin file for the sandy bridge 2011 MBP models could they please send me a pm as I've only gone and lost it and the rapidshare link has gone dead.

Sod's law it had to happen when I was patching my own MBP

EDIT:

Found it, patch worked fine on my new old 17 inch late 2011 MBP and uploaded here for safe keeping.

Easy tutorial here too:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...1-now-possible
Attached Files
File Type: zip patchedcode.zip (1.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Gav Mack; Mar 14, 2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:14 PM   #138
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:

I have two x2 cards, one running a Samsung Evo 1tb SSD for osx which boots fine and one with a 250gb Evo running windows 7 x64 which I initially installed while in a sled with both x2 cards in place and with all win7 updates applied. However when I moved the win7 SSD to the x2 card boot fails with a black screen and 'no boot drive' message.

I'm thinking that I need to do the ahci patching if you can point me in the right direction on how to do this (though I assume I will need to move it back to the sled to do this?). I noticed in another post someone suggested installing windows 8.1 and this works without issue but I would rather avoid using the new 'vista'!!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:38 PM   #139
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarf2007 View Post
I have two x2 cards, one running a Samsung Evo 1tb SSD for osx which boots fine and one with a 250gb Evo running windows 7 x64 which I initially installed while in a sled with both x2 cards in place and with all win7 updates applied. However when I moved the win7 SSD to the x2 card boot fails with a black screen and 'no boot drive' message.

I'm thinking that I need to do the ahci patching if you can point me in the right direction on how to do this (though I assume I will need to move it back to the sled to do this?). I noticed in another post someone suggested installing windows 8.1 and this works without issue but I would rather avoid using the new 'vista'!!
I'm sure I've read somewhere twin x2 cards can stop windows booting. I've only ever had one card, and the 3,1 being more finicky than most only way I got it to boot was off port 2 off my X2. Though as legacy mode only supports 4 devices in IDE you could very well be right you may have to patch the MBR to enable ACHI on boot.

Instructions and the ahci enabler app here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=123

The original insanelymac thread if you want to research it first:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...ista-xp-linux/

Costabunny's thread for the twin SSD on 1 X2 solution:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1675846
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:10 PM   #140
Gav Mack
macrumors 65816

As a footnote to my MBP 2011 AHCI mod, I did a bit of testing with the RST driver.

Using the bootcamp 5.1 software Intel RST drivers 11.2 and below the windows bootcamp control panel is still broken with the usual startup disk error, however if your chipset supports the newer type of RST (11.7 and above) hey presto the windows control panel works.

I know that means the panel is still broken for 3,1 users as 10.1.0.1008 is the newest driver supported, though can't confirm which is the newest on the 4/5,1 models, until I get my 5,1 my clients for all are on the 1008 driver which doesn't suffer from the 3tb formatting bug and don't think would appreciate me asking to test on cheesegraters doing constant work. I think they will though as iirc the 1/3,1 models use the ESB2 controller and the 4/5,1 use ICH10 so you newer Mac Pro owners may get the control panel back.

The RST driver sets are here:

http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-...QL-v-WHQL.html

Update via Device manager, update driver, choose the path of the extracted driver. If supported it will update. The driver only is fine, the driver plus RST app requires .net, is slow to start and a waste of resources on startup. You'll need a 2nd restart after it loads the new driver for your boot drive.

Last edited by Gav Mack; Mar 15, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 04:29 PM   #141
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm sure I've read somewhere twin x2 cards can stop windows booting. I've only ever had one card, and the 3,1 being more finicky than most only way I got it to boot was off port 2 off my X2. Though as legacy mode only supports 4 devices in IDE you could very well be right you may have to patch the MBR to enable ACHI on boot.

Instructions and the ahci enabler app here

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=123

The original insanelymac thread if you want to research it first:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...ista-xp-linux/

Costabunny's thread for the twin SSD on 1 X2 solution:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1675846
Thanks, will try this and report back. I must admit I find it annoying that apple bill the oMP for it's expandability and then include the minimal number of power connectors. I don't really want to run power from the optical drive and thought this would be neater but if it doesn't work then back to the drawing board!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:13 PM   #142
Demigod Mac
macrumors 6502

It's been a long time since I tried this. Back then it was a Bootcamp partition, on Windows 7. I guess the hack fooled into thinking it was Vista Business, somehow. But it also had annoying issues like not recognizing the Bootcamp control panel in Windows. I've since done a clean install.

Does AHCI on Bootcamp still have those same issues or have they been resolved? Nowadays I use Windows 8.1 on a dedicated SSD. Was thinking of upgrading to AHCI but only if it's trouble-free.
Demigod Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:56 AM   #143
NOTNlCE
macrumors 6502

So I migrated my Boot Camp install to a new hard disk, and the ODD ports weren't seen anymore. I figured the AHCI mod had been overwritten in the transfer. (Used WinClone for the transfer, btw). So this morning I redid the AHCI mod only to be met with the dreaded black screen of "disk read error, ctrl-alt-delete to reboot." TechTool says the disk is healthy, so I don't think the disk died, but restoring the old MBR doesn't help either. Any guesses? I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro on my Mac Pro 3,1.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:48 AM   #144
szepesg
macrumors newbie

the ocz link does not working

Quote:
If anyone has Euclid1's patchcode.bin file for the sandy bridge 2011 MBP models could they please send me a pm as I've only gone and lost it and the rapidshare link has gone dead.

Sod's law it had to happen when I was patching my own MBP

EDIT:

Found it, patch worked fine on my new old 17 inch late 2011 MBP and uploaded here for safe keeping.

Easy tutorial here too:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...1-now-possible

Hi,

The ocz link does not work anymore. I have the same problem with the MBP 2011 and the AHCI.
Please help me if You can.
Thank You in advance.

G.Sz.
szepesg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:13 PM   #145
mikeboss
macrumors regular

I still have it as a Safari *.webarchive and it's attached to this post...
Attached Files
File Type: zip AHCI.webarchive.zip (186.2 KB, 9 views)
mikeboss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 12:16 PM   #146
mikeboss
macrumors regular

and here's the "patchedcode.zip"
Attached Files
File Type: zip patchedcode.zip (1.3 KB, 5 views)
Old Aug 1, 2014, 03:28 PM   #147
szepesg
macrumors newbie

picturs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
I still have it as a Safari *.webarchive and it's attached to this post...
Hi,

Thank You for the files. I am sorry to mention it because I am really thankful but the pictures are missing from the zip file.
If you could attach those that would be really great.
Thank You very much again.

G.Sz.

ps: the subject is "pictures" instead of whatever it is there

Last edited by szepesg; Aug 1, 2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: misspelling
szepesg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 03:51 PM   #148
mikeboss
macrumors regular

sorry, I don't have the pictures.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro