Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Bro, as a laptop - no, it's not outdated.

But the cpu is last year's CPU. The ram is last year's- DDRL.

In the IT world, new tech is expected minimum yearly.

There's nothing wrong with using last year's Mac tech though!

Dont be offended by that. Next year when people talk about how awesome their MBA ddr4 is... I'm still going to use my Haswell MBA to fulfill EVERYTHING I need to do.

Yes, I will admit that the cpu and ddr3 will not be as pimp as next year's tech, but I will still be fully proud to tell EVERYONE I use a Haswell... up till 3 years when I get a new Mac.

I use an S3 too. Not updating to S4. There's no need to get the latest tech always. Just be content with what you have. Then it doesn't matter what anyone says.:D

I can see this is probably about as far as you're willing to concede but what people "expect" in the IT world has nothing to do with this conversation. even then i'm not sure your claim is true.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Dont be offended by that. Next year when people talk about how awesome their MBA ddr4 is... I'm still going to use my Haswell MBA to fulfill EVERYTHING I need to do.

I'm not offended. I am just pointing out that calling the 2012 MBPro "outdated' is silly, especially when it is the current mode; and there is no Haswell MBPro yet. And even calling last year's tech "outdated" just because the new processor is out is a bit of a stretch. It's not like last year's tech suddenly became unable to run all the current OSes and applications... :rolleyes:

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Intel's ivy bridge is NO LONGER on any assembly line for future laptop releases. Every new laptop henceforth from leading manufacturers will see Haswell in their build. It's not a matter of perspective nor opinion. The ivy bridge system is obsolete.

Sure, it can still do what it was advertised to, but that doesn't save it from being obsolete.

On top of that.. The ram is better... iGPU much better, SSD twice as fast. And of course the cath here is the monumental increase in battery life.

Broadwell will see even better specs than haswell with the jump from 22nm to 14nm.

When Broadwell is released, haswell will be obsolete. Your ivy bridge would be negligible.

Oh my apologies. I noticed you said 2012 MBP is still the "current model". You're completely right.

Still outdated tech though. You'll remember my post in a month and a half when your only condolence will be that it is not 'visbile' that you're using an old model.

That, or you make peace with what you have. Not many people can afford to buy the latest tech on a yearly basis. Be content with what you have. But do understand that the model ia obsolete. No one woke up today morning thinking "the 2012 MBA is better for me".

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
In other words, if a product doesn't use the latest technology it is obsolete. :rolleyes: Thanks for the lecture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.