Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Like I mentioned, that's still better than paying $649 for a no commitment iPhone.

You still don't understand. When you purchase a new iphone every year it is under contract, is it not? So you are paying $120 more for a 16GB iphone under contract because of your dummy line. If you just waited an extra 9 months or so you would get the phone for $199 vs. $320. Most carriers will waive the early upgrade charges if you are within 90 days.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Pretty sure this isn't true. If you don't buy it at the time you buy the phone, they make you buy AppleCare+ in person so that they can verify that your phone isn't already damaged.
You can buy it over the phone. I did, even living in a location with several apple stores nearby.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
You can buy it over the phone. I did, even living in a location with several apple stores nearby.

You sure you bought AppleCare+ and not just AppleCare? I was explicitly told that you had to buy it in person unless you bought it at the same time you bought your phone. That makes perfect sense too if you think about it.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
You sure you bought AppleCare+ and not just AppleCare? I was explicitly told that you had to buy it in person unless you bought it at the same time you bought your phone. That makes perfect sense too if you think about it.
I'm sure.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
You still don't understand. When you purchase a new iphone every year it is under contract, is it not? So you are paying $120 more for a 16GB iphone under contract because of your dummy line. If you just waited an extra 9 months or so you would get the phone for $199 vs. $320. Most carriers will waive the early upgrade charges if you are within 90 days.

Of course your logic is correct if we were talking about waiting out the full contract to upgrade. But we are talking about getting a full subsidized price EVERY year regardless of contract or not. Now you tell me how $10 a month is a waste of money to get an iPhone for $199 EVERY year.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Of course your logic is correct if we were talking about waiting out the full contract to upgrade. But we are talking about getting a full subsidized price EVERY year regardless of contract or not. Now you tell me how $10 a month is a waste of money to get an iPhone for $199 EVERY year.

Also I am assuming which he isn't either, you can sell that phone as well to basically pay for the new one every year plus have some left over to cover part of that 10 dollars a month you pay.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

Because 10 • 12months = $120
iPhone = $199
Total each year = $319

If you add tax it'll come to $400 if not more. If you just wait a few more months most carriers will let you upgrade free of penalties. Also if you don't want to wait a few months you can easily sell your phone for the price of a new iPhone and upgrade fees, turns into a wash in the end. I do this every other upgrade and basically get a new phone for free every 1.5 years or so.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
i bought my apple care + over the phone without any problem. i bought mine when i have my iphone for 3 weeks. Just call them, all they ask me is how's the condition of my phone.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Because 10 • 12months = $120
iPhone = $199
Total each year = $319

If you add tax it'll come to $400 if not more. If you just wait a few more months most carriers will let you upgrade free of penalties. Also if you don't want to wait a few months you can easily sell your phone for the price of a new iPhone and upgrade fees, turns into a wash in the end. I do this every other upgrade and basically get a new phone for free every 1.5 years or so.

I totally get your logic. But I'm just saying what if you want to upgrade every time a new iPhone is launched? Assuming you're only 12 months into your current contract. You only have 2 possible options. Either pay $199 + 250 early upgrade fee or pay $649 no commitment, both are still more expensive than paying $10 a month + $199 every year.

Again you're argument is stating waiting for a few months, but we were discussing about upgrading every year or everytime a new iPhone is launched.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I totally get your logic. But I'm just saying what if you want to upgrade every time a new iPhone is launched? Assuming you're only 12 months into your current contract. You only have 2 possible options. Either pay $199 + 250 early upgrade fee or pay $649 no commitment, both are still more expensive than paying $10 a month + $199 every year.

Again you're argument is stating waiting for a few months, but we were discussing about upgrading every year or everytime a new iPhone is launched.

You're right and I agree with your reasoning for having a dummy line. I guess I would rather wait a few more months and not spend an extra $120.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
California
So I went ahead and got AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5.

I made this decision based on the fact that I have no plans to upgrade to what ever iPhone is out next year and will be waiting until my new two year contract up in 2014 and my past iPhones have taken accidental damage due to my carelessness and if I wanted to replace this one for the same reason, I have that option.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
I personally don't think it is worth. I haven't had it on the 4 other iPhones I've had and never had any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.