Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KMJB

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
It doesn't work anymore for me

I think i have a pretty unusual problem. I used to be able to connect my MacBookPro to a TV screen with no problem, essentially following the methods described in this thread. But recently it doesn't work for me anymore!
I can still make the physical connection. And my Mac still detects the other screen (I tried this on a couple of different TVs) but I can no longer get my computer screen to display on the TV (the TV stays completely blank), no matter what I do (change the settings on the TV, change resolution settings via the computer in either screen, un-mirror and then mirror again, power down and back up, etc.).
Has anybody had this problem too? What to do? I am desperate for your advise!

Themegamacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I think i have a pretty unusual problem. I used to be able to connect my MacBookPro to a TV screen with no problem, essentially following the methods described in this thread. But recently it doesn't work for me anymore!
I can still make the physical connection. And my Mac still detects the other screen (I tried this on a couple of different TVs) but I can no longer get my computer screen to display on the TV (the TV stays completely blank), no matter what I do (change the settings on the TV, change resolution settings via the computer in either screen, un-mirror and then mirror again, power down and back up, etc.).
Has anybody had this problem too? What to do? I am desperate for your advise!

That is a strange problem. I think the best way to go about this is to start trouble shooting the issue: try connecting to a different TV from your usual one. Report back and we'll work from there.

mykicks

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, so it doesn't give me the option of playing the sound through the HDMI/mini displayport. I bought those red/white audio cables per a WikiHow article, but still couldn't get any sound through them once I connected them from the TV to my Macbook, and I can't find any options on my TV to fix the situation. What should I do now? Is there something else I can buy to do this?

xmac29

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Use aux cable.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, so it doesn't give me the option of playing the sound through the HDMI/mini displayport. I bought those red/white audio cables per a WikiHow article, but still couldn't get any sound through them once I connected them from the TV to my Macbook, and I can't find any options on my TV to fix the situation. What should I do now? Is there something else I can buy to do this?

I think the stituation is very simple here.
First of all is it RED/WHITE on both the ends? or Is it AUX to RED/WHITE ?
1)I assume it is aux to red/white(component) cable since mac dont come with red/white output.

2) Red/white cable will not work since you have connected HDMI, your tv will be tuned into HDMI.

3) A mini display port will not take your sound to tv.

Solutions :-

1) Try to use a aux cable, male to male 3.5mm aux cable.

2) If you have an external speaker , you can connect that external speaker direct to aux port of Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.