Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Bose QuietComfort 20i or B&W C5's? Any thoughts?
The later.

----------

My Main Headphones, Bowers and Wilkins P7. The sound of these beats anything I've listened to before. I also have Bose QC15, Apple IEM's, EarPods and Bose MIE2i, but I don't use those as much as the B&W's
Great choice which I can only applaud. Wonderful to see that someone else appreciates some truly beautifully crafted headphones which offer superb sound as well as great good looks. I love the B&W range.
I am really happy to see so many people here appreciating the superb sound quality of the B&W!

Last edited:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I've ordered the C5's. Just a bit concerned about how they fit in the ears. Looks like they could be a bit uncomfortable?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
These are mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Bose QuietComfort 20i or B&W C5's? Any thoughts?

Just taken delivery of these two. First thoughts are that the Bose are more comfortable and a better build but the B&W's are easily better sounding. At the moment I'm thinking of returning the Bose. So far I've used the Bose more as I got them last week so if I can get used to the fit if the B&W's I'll keep them. They sound so much better and are £100 cheaper. We'll see....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Mr & Mrs B&W and their new baby. Image

Wonderful headphones; as others on this thread already know, I am a big fan of the B&W company and their range of headphones, and have both the P5s (which I love and are excellent) and the P7s (which are outstandingly good).

I think you will get great pleasure from them; I know I certainly have done so.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Wonderful headphones; as others on this thread already know, I am a big fan of the B&W company and their range of headphones, and have both the P5s (which I love and are excellent) and the P7s (which are outstandingly good).

I think you will get great pleasure from them; I know I certainly have done so.

Did you spot my B&W 684 speakers behind them? Only just spotted them in the photo myself!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Did you spot my B&W 684 speakers behind them? Only just spotted them in the photo myself!

Actually, now that you mention it, no, I must admit that I didn't - I was too busy drooling over the lovely pair of headphones (even though I have the exact same pair of headphones myself) to even notice them. But thank you for pointing them out.

How do you find them? Are they as (predictably) excellent as the other speakers in the B&W range?

On my previous visit home, I bought the exquisite B&W "Zeppelin" speaker, and also a set of the B&W (desktop) "MM1" speakers. Unfortunately, I have been so busy - even when home on brief visits - that both sets of speakers are still in the boxes in which they were delivered, as I have not had time to set them up properly.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I find them superb. I bought the B&W 685 Theatre speakers then changed the sub to a BK Monolith. Last year I moved the B&W 685's from front to surrounds and bought the 684's for the front speakers. I just can't imagine anything better! My room isn't that big so anything bigger/better? Wouldn't be appreciated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I find them superb. I bought the B&W 685 Theatre speakers then changed the sub to a BK Monolith. Last year I moved the B&W 685's from front to surrounds and bought the 684's for the front speakers. I just can't imagine anything better! My room isn't that big so anything bigger/better? Wouldn't be appreciated.

Okay, you have me interested, as I love the B&W stuff.

What are the differences (sound, style, size, footprint, output, sheer performance) between the B&W 684s and the B&W 685s?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
To be perfectly honest I myself can't tell the much difference. It's just that the 684's are floor standers were as the 685's are mounted on a stand. I think they call them bookshelf speakers. I think it depends on the size if your room. The 685's are adequate for most rooms. The biggest difference was getting the Monolith sub. That beast shakes my foundations!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
To be perfectly honest I myself can't tell the much difference. It's just that the 684's are floor standers were as the 685's are mounted on a stand. I think they call them bookshelf speakers. I think it depends on the size if your room. The 685's are adequate for most rooms. The biggest difference was getting the Monolith sub. That beast shakes my foundations!

Thank you for your reply. Very interesting.

I suppose that here, that what I really would like to know is which of of the two of them take up more space? (Most rooms in modern apartments are quite small). (Also, aesthetically - always a plus with the B&W - which of them do you prefer?)

And, is there any significant difference between them re actual performance?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Ok. Performance wise, not much difference. Space wise, ditto. The cabinet size is the same although the 684's are obviously taller. Here's some photos I just took with my guitar standing on the floor for comparison. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406413777.846922.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406413788.690739.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406413803.372863.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ok. Performance wise, not much difference. Space wise, ditto. The cabinet size is the same although the 684's are obviously taller. Here's some photos I just took with my guitar standing on the floor for comparison. View attachment 482496 View attachment 482497 View attachment 482498

Wow. You have obviously taken a lot of trouble in putting together a response; my profound and grateful thanks, indeed, that is most kind of you.

Well, as a fellow B&W enthusiast, you know that that wonderful design fusion of form (fantastic aesthetics) and function (amazing sound reproduction) both matter enormously. Right; you have given me much food for thought.

kyriostrife

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Can anyone give me a good suggestion for wireless, noise cancelling, over the ear headphones for <$400?

I know I know... wireless and noise cancelling means two strikes against the sound quality already. Not expecting superb sound quality whatsoever. Just want something I can workout in and that I can travel with.

I already have m50, ue6000, v-moda lp, and ue custom IEM at home, so I'm willing to forgo sound quality for the aforementioned features. Over the ear is important for comfort. Don't want in-ears anymore.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Which headphones are the wooden (right most) pair? the gray device behind the headphones, what does it do?
Hopefully TMRaven doesn't mind me answering for him.:p

Based on the lineup, it looks like the latest HiFiMAN HE-560 Planar Magnetic headphone: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=197#

The gray devices behind the headphones are both a headphone amplifier (top) and Digital-to-Analog Converter unit (bottom). These look to be the Schiit Asgard amplifier and the Schiit Bifrost DAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.