Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
scooter2525
macrumors member

Used iMacs on Amazon

I'm looking through the listing here on amazon for used imacs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
The pricing is varied. I imagine that the ~$800 ones have something wrong or aren't worth buying. But maybe I'm missing something?

Has anyone had experience buying an iMac this way? How did it go?
scooter2525 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
SMOP
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter2525 View Post
I'm looking through the listing here on amazon for used imacs.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
The pricing is varied. I imagine that the ~$800 ones have something wrong or aren't worth buying. But maybe I'm missing something?

Has anyone had experience buying an iMac this way? How did it go?
The $800 ones are scams. You cannot check out with those items as it gives an error. Most of the time if an Amazon username is an email address it is a scam. The scam seller is hoping you contact them directly, so that they can bypass Amazon.
SMOP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:15 PM   #3
henryonapple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOP View Post
The $800 ones are scams. You cannot check out with those items as it gives an error. Most of the time if an Amazon username is an email address it is a scam. The scam seller is hoping you contact them directly, so that they can bypass Amazon.
even if it is a scam, AMAZON will always back their customers if something is fishy about an order.
henryonapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
SMOP
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryonapple View Post
even if it is a scam, AMAZON will always back their customers if something is fishy about an order.
If you complete the order outside amazon, I am not sure if they will back you. Notice how all the ridiculously low priced iMacs all have email addresses as usernames.
SMOP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
henryonapple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOP View Post
If you complete the order outside amazon, I am not sure if they will back you. Notice how all the ridiculously low priced iMacs all have email addresses as usernames.
oh yes, definitely order through Amazon's marketplace, not an outside transaction
henryonapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:22 PM   #6
dancj
macrumors regular

I got my iMac (21.5" 2.7ghz 2012 model) a few months ago through the Amazon marketplace - and the whole thing went really smoothly - and the iMac still has over two years of AppleCare which the seller transferred to me.
dancj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Slow Programmer
macrumors regular

Try BHphotovideo.com. They have much better deals on new iMacs (2011) and no shipping charges.
Slow Programmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:44 PM   #8
scooter2525
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Programmer View Post
Try BHphotovideo.com. They have much better deals on new iMacs (2011) and no shipping charges.
I have a ton of points built up on amazon.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:07 PM   #9
scooter2525
macrumors member

So I email the name to ask questions. They really wanted me to buy directly from them and not through amazon. Based on it being shady, I wouldn't want to buy through them. But not wanting to pass up on potentially a good deal, I tried through amazon, which gave me an error. So I called amazon to ask why it wouldn't ship to my US home address. They investigated. And now I can't find that deal online any more... Hmmmmmmm Anyways, so this is the correspondence with the "seller".

Quote:
I see you have 2 27inch imacs for sale on amazon. Why are they so cheap? Do they come with a warranty?

3:17 AM (16 hours ago)

to me
Hello,
the Apple iMac MC814LL/A 27-Inch Desktop (NEWEST VERSION) is in new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' as the box has been opened), comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, US model,1 year full warranty. It has not been used. The price is $804.99 including delivery.If you are wondering why the price is lower than the usual,it is because we have some promotional prices before holidays.Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Many thanks

1:42 PM (6 hours ago)

Who is the 1 year warrenty through? Does it have the original box?

Sent from my iPhone

5:57 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
yes,
I am not listed on the amazon website anymore because my stock is about to end , if you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Many thanks
and when asking questions through amazon, here is the response I got.

Quote:
Hello,
Sorry but I've been getting dozens of messages regarding the imac, so for the sake of my schedule I'll only discuss via email.
Let me know what you need in my e-mail:
I assure you communication will never be an obstacle between us.
Please let me know asap.
Thank you

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac