Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
carlsson
macrumors regular

Is it possible to simulate use over some days?

I have struggled with a Mac Pro since this summer. We have had strange problems and I think I have nailed it down to the HDD's.

Now everything is reinstalled with new drives, and I would like to perform a simulation before I leave the computer back to the client.

Is there some kind of simulation software? I'd like to stress the disk, CPU, graphic card etc etc, simulating a normal use.

I know there is Tech Tool Pro, but is there anything else that can do this (I'm not a fan of TTP)?

Thanks,
/andreas
carlsson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 PM   #2
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

There's probably fancy official software doing that, but I imagine you could pull off the same just by using Handbrake (free) to convert a large batch of videos from one format to another. That should work all cores of the CPU and the drives.

To work the GPU you could start a video and leave it on a loop setting or with a large queue of videos to play.

You can run Memtest or Rember in a loop to work the memory.

I've never done all three at the same time, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
carlsson
macrumors regular

Good suggestions. Thanks for that!
carlsson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:31 PM   #4
jonnymo5
macrumors 6502

Check out Sikuli to do some simple automation. I've used it for a few things I wanted to do quickly. Shouldn't be hard to do things like move files back and forth, keep pressing play on a video, etc.
jonnymo5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:22 PM   #5
theSeb
macrumors 603

There are thousands of ways to do this. One of the simplest is to create a workflow using the Automator app, which comes with OS X, and then run it. If you have lots of images you could create an automator workflow to add thumbnails or resize lots of images and then run that workflow multiple times. If you have the Pixelmator app, then you can use the Watermark Images action. Effectively you'll be performing a batch action over and over again.

This particular action is the most stressful that I've used and will stress the CPU, memory and hard drive.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro