Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drumminator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Maine
Hi everyone, im new to joining macrumors but ive often come here for info on problems im having.Well this is a new one for me.So i was using my mac pro and it just froze;i got the wheel and nothing was responding i had tried installing and opening a torrent of osx mountain lion (i know stupid me ) shortly after thats when it froze .so i held the power button to force shut down. go to turn it back on and i get the prohibited symbol.
PLEASE HELP !!:eek:
Thanks !!

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Try booting from your original OS X install disk and see if you can reinstall that version of OS X.

And not to be too chiding, but next time just spend the $20.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you have a 2009 Mac Pro or earlier (assuming you really have a Mac Pro and not a MacBook Pro), get the 19 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD from the Apple Online Store.
Or use another Mac to download and buy OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and make a bootable installer out of it.

No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

PS: To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

drumminator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Maine
this leads to problem # 2, the computer wont stay on long enough to open the disk tray (maybe due to wireless keyboard not being able to connect ?) is there a way to open the disk tray manually ?
thanks again !

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

First, while it's bad to illegally download stuff, it's highly unlikely (read nigh impossible) that the torrent was the cause of the problem.

Second, while the Mac is completely off, click and hold the (wired) mouse then turn on your Mac. Keep holding the mouse button until the drive tray opens.

Loa

drumminator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Maine
so i got an install disc in but when i go to install it after selecting english it says osx could not be installed on this computer, is there anything i can do from the disc utility to get it running ?
thanks again !!

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
so i got an install disc in but when i go to install it after selecting english it says osx could not be installed on this computer, is there anything i can do from the disc utility to get it running ?
thanks again !!

You are using the restore disk from the wrong system. You must use the one that came with your system, or order the correct recovery media from Apple.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

From the installer, you can access Disk Utility (in the menus) and reformat your drive. Of course, ***this will erase everything on your drive***.

Then again, simply re-installing OS X on a drive that already has a OS on it is risky business.

Do you have a good back-up on what's on your disk?

Loa

drumminator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Maine
yea i have everything backed up in a few places, i wiped the disk and am going to try and restore from a backup hopefully that works.
thanks !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.