Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

IS anyone else having this problem with Safari?

Safari won't open

This is the first time that this has happened and I honestly don't know what to do.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:18 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Restarted your Mac yet? Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?
Can you post the "Show Details" info?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Restarted your Mac yet? Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?
Can you post the "Show Details" info?
Hi Sim, Yes I did and the problem still persists. How do you want me to post the details?

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Hi Sim, Yes I did and the problem still persists. How do you want me to post the details?
You press the Show Details button, click on the text that is now visible, press CMD+A, then CMD+C, then post a reply and use the button ([code] tag) and press CMD+V.

But I am probably not able to decipher the report, someone else might though. Did you update to 10.8.3 yet and does it happen since then? And I presume from your answer, it also happens in another user account?
Have you tried deleting "com.apple.safari.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
You press the Show Details button, click on the text that is now visible, press CMD+A, then CMD+C, then post a reply and use the Image button ([code] tag) and press CMD+V.

But I am probably not able to decipher the report, someone else might though. Did you update to 10.8.3 yet and does it happen since then? And I presume from your answer, it also happens in another user account?
Have you tried deleting "com.apple.safari.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?
I'm still running Lion 10.7.5 so this might have been caused by the latest updates I downloaded. I think this because of what it says under the Dyld Error Message section:

Code:
Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: __ZN3JSC16InternalFunction12vtableAnchorEv
  Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/Versions/A/WebKit2
  Expected in: /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/JavaScriptCore.framework/JavaScriptCore
 in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/Versions/A/WebKit2
I also have Java disabled on in Safari but now can't even up it to make any changes. I will try deleting the playlist to see if that does anything.

Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

As the error message says: "you may need to reinstall the application".

Assuming that your Private Frameworks have got corrupted somehow, you would be best to reinstall the OS.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:58 PM   #7
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
As the error message says: "you may need to reinstall the application".

Assuming that your Private Frameworks have got corrupted somehow, you would be best to reinstall the OS.
Well that's awesome because I was planning on doing that anyway. So I have actually just been ordered to do something that was already on the list.

Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well that's awesome because I was planning on doing that anyway. So I have actually just been ordered to do something that was already on the list.
Are you being sarcastically ungrateful for free advice offered? It reads that way, and it's not the best way to proceed with people who are trying to help you.

You haven't been "ordered" to do anything. And you didn't mention previously that reinstalling was something you were going to do.
Quote:
I honestly don't know what to do.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:07 AM   #9
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Are you being sarcastically ungrateful for free advice offered? It reads that way, and it's not the best way to proceed with people who are trying to help you.

You haven't been "ordered" to do anything. And you didn't mention previously that reinstalling was something you were going to do.
I was not being sarcastic or ungrateful at all. And true, I didn't state that I was planning on re-installing, but it wasn't relevant to the situation because my desire to reinstall the OS was based on the fact that I was preparing it for sale and didn't want some new and crazy problem with Safari messing it up.

And yes, I understand that I wasn't technically ordered to do anything, but it seems like both the problem report and you strongly recommended it; along with my need to prepare it for sale made reinstalling the OS a necessity.

It's just a shame that only was your impression incorrect, but also that someone decided to give you an up-vote for your post.

RedCroissant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:39 AM   #10
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It's just a shame that only was your impression incorrect, but also that someone decided to give you an up-vote for your post.
In that case, apologies for the misunderstanding. Best of luck preparing your Mac for sale.

Last edited by benwiggy; Mar 18, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:16 AM   #11
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
In that case, apologies for the misunderstanding. Best of luck preparing your Mac for sale.
No worries now. And I did sell it on Sunday! I miss it though because now my iBook G4 is my main machine and I have had to make other changes as well. I also(yesterday) traded my iPad mini(white,16GB, WiFi only) for a first gen iPad because the mini couldn't be charged OR synced. In exchange though, I got a 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G, a black leather case, a firewire 400/800 cable, and $40.

The past few days is a lot like going back in time for me. I sold my iPhone 4S, my Intel iMac, and my iPad min. Now I have an iBook G4, a 1st gen iPad, and my 30GB video iPod from 2006!

RedCroissant is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help