Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I've heard the yellow tint on the edge of some new ipad displays disappear over time. Is this true?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
No, it doesn't.

This adhesive/glue theory has been circulating for years despite the fact that it's untrue. The bonding of the digitizer and glass is completely seperate from the display which sits a few milimeters below and is seperated by air. The yellow/pink/green tint issues are a result of the color filter on the IPS display which impacts the iPad like countless other IPS displays from other manufacturers.

It won't get better. Return and replace.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
No, it doesn't.

This adhesive/glue theory has been circulating for years despite the fact that it's untrue. The bonding of the digitizer and glass is completely seperate from the display which sits a few milimeters below and is seperated by air. The yellow/pink/green tint issues are a result of the color filter on the IPS display which impacts the iPad like countless other IPS displays from other manufacturers.

It won't get better. Return and replace.
Are you sure? Because I've seen quite a lot of iPads with this yellowing.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Can anyone on this forum claim that they started with a yellow tint on part of their ipad display which disappeared over time?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Are you sure? Because I've seen quite a lot of iPads with this yellowing.

I'm positive. And I'm not disputing the yellowing issue because I've opened dozens of ipads (1,2,3,4 gen), iphones, ipad minis, and rMBP that had this notorious IPS yellow tint.

The other thing each of those devices had in common was the yellow did not improve even slightly over weeks, months, years.

This issue is directly related to color filters and polarizers. But I'm sure plenty of Apple reps have told customers to wait a few weeks...you know, until the 14-day return window has closed.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Can anyone on this forum claim that they started with a yellow tint on part of their ipad display which disappeared over time?

I can confirm the opposite! The tint does not fade away, its a bad screen, you should get it exchanged, as I did, for one that does not have the yellow tint. It appears on all iPad models and whether your particular model has it is the luck of the draw. My replacement is all white. I have seen yellow tinting on many iPads since the first one. It is not a glue issue as the screen is not laminated like the iPhone 4 and upwards. Go to an Apple store and have it exchanged if it bothers you.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Obviously if the tint is really bad and doesnt go away its an issue. However in many cases around here its a case of the OCD heebie jeebies!:) My iPad 4 has the SLIGHTEST tint on a corner and is barely barely noticeable. Im a designer and deal with color every day. Sometimes it will keep you more sane to just let it be if its that minor.

A pic would be helpful to see too OP!

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Can backlight bleeds cause yellow tinting on white backgrounds?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Obviously if the tint is really bad and doesnt go away its an issue. However in many cases around here its a case of the OCD heebie jeebies!:) My iPad 4 has the SLIGHTEST tint on a corner and is barely barely noticeable. Im a designer and deal with color every day. Sometimes it will keep you more sane to just let it be if its that minor.

A pic would be helpful to see too OP!

This is actually a picture of my last one which I had replaced for the same reason. The replacement has a similar yellow tint to the left of the screen when held in portrait. I've also noticed there's some backlight bleeding there so I don't know if that's what's causing this or if that's just a coincidence. I'm trying to decide whether I'm being too OCD or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,038

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
This is actually a picture of my last one which I had replaced for the same reason. The replacement has a similar yellow tint to the left of the screen when held in portrait. I've also noticed there's some backlight bleeding there so I don't know if that's what's causing this or if that's just a coincidence. I'm trying to decide whether I'm being too OCD or not.

Can you attach a non blurry picture?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Can you attach a non blurry picture?

This is on auto brightness in daylight. You can see the yellow tint all down the left hand side, particularly towards the top of the left hand side. It's visible on both a white and black background. It looks worse at night when the ambient lighting is dimmer. I notice this during normal use which is what annoys me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 719
Last edited:

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
This is on auto brightness in daylight. You can see the yellow tint all down the left hand side, particularly towards the top of the left hand side. It's visible on both a white and black background. It looks worse at night when the ambient lighting is dimmer. I notice this during normal use which is what annoys me.

Much better image! Now that I can see it I had a similar problem with my iPad 2. Was it annoying, yes. But not enough to exchange it though I did anyway because of screen burn-in (very very annoying). Its up to you. Personally it doesn't look that bad to me. Maybe a tad OCD because overall it looks pretty good. Just be prepared to get a screen with something else wrong like dead pixels or something. But who know maybe you will get one with nothing wrong.

There are so many threads with people going back 40 or more times to get a perfect screen. Just dont fall into that trap.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
It took 4 tries for me to get a good screen on my iPad 4. The first 3 had yellow tints, but the 4th is perfect. The screen is a warm white but there is no yellow anywhere. I would exchange your iPad and try for a better screen.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Much better image! Now that I can see it I had a similar problem with my iPad 2. Was it annoying, yes. But not enough to exchange it though I did anyway because of screen burn-in (very very annoying). Its up to you. Personally it doesn't look that bad to me. Maybe a tad OCD because overall it looks pretty good. Just be prepared to get a screen with something else wrong like dead pixels or something. But who know maybe you will get one with nothing wrong.

There are so many threads with people going back 40 or more times to get a perfect screen. Just dont fall into that trap.

So are there more iPads with defects than iPads without defects? Most display iPads in store don't seem to have issues.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So are there more iPads with defects than iPads without defects? Most display iPads in store don't seem to have issues.

No not really, plus it depends on what you consider a defect. Some of these "problems" are well within spec for Apple. No 2 screens are always alike. Plus Apple uses LG and Sharp(I think). They used to use Samsung as well. A lot of this is simply a matter of perspective.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
No not really, plus it depends on what you consider a defect. Some of these "problems" are well within spec for Apple. No 2 screens are always alike. Plus Apple uses LG and Sharp(I think). They used to use Samsung as well. A lot of this is simply a matter of perspective.

I thought all ipad 4 screens are LG or Samsung. So yellow tints, image retention etc are all within spec?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I thought all ipad 4 screens are LG or Samsung. So yellow tints, image retention etc are all within spec?

iPad 3 used LG and Samsung panels; iPad 4 uses LG exclusively.
IR is considered an in-spec issue by Apple (as evidenced by the rMBP response) but YMMV at the Genius counter.

I swapped 3 iPad 4s before I found an all-white, evenly lit display.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
iPad 3 used LG and Samsung panels; iPad 4 uses LG exclusively.
IR is considered an in-spec issue by Apple (as evidenced by the rMBP response) but YMMV at the Genius counter.

I swapped 3 iPad 4s before I found an all-white, evenly lit display.

Whats your definition of "all-white, evenly lit"?

S

syd430

There are zero that are perfectly even. Some are worse than others. I went through many 3's and 4's a while back for various reasons. I know that there are indeed some that have an uneven tint that you just never get used to no matter how much you try and ignore. Then there are ones that are not so bad and are easily forgotten about within a few days. Never try to get a completely perfect one because it probably doesn't exist.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I had 3 iPad 4s and they all seemed fairly uniform to me, or maybe not enough to notice or care??

The iPad 3 had this problem a lot more often (literally every one I saw had it). I figure they got the issue down pat now.

If you're some anal retentive OCD person, it'll bother you, I stopped caring long ago. Even dust in the screen doesn't bother me as at any given time there's usually about 60000000 finger prints all over my screen and many specs of dust on top if the screen and even that doesn't bother me much (can't even see the dust between digitizer and LCD unless you look for it)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I had 3 iPad 4s and they all seemed fairly uniform to me, or maybe not enough to notice or care??

The iPad 3 had this problem a lot more often (literally every one I saw had it). I figure they got the issue down pat now.

If you're some anal retentive OCD person, it'll bother you, I stopped caring long ago. Even dust in the screen doesn't bother me as at any given time there's usually about 60000000 finger prints all over my screen and many specs of dust on top if the screen and even that doesn't bother me much (can't even see the dust between digitizer and LCD unless you look for it)

Theres dust in some of them?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
There are zero that are perfectly even. Some are worse than others. I went through many 3's and 4's a while back for various reasons. I know that there are indeed some that have an uneven tint that you just never get used to no matter how much you try and ignore. Then there are ones that are not so bad and are easily forgotten about within a few days. Never try to get a completely perfect one because it probably doesn't exist.

So Apple must consider this in spec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.