Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

View Poll Results: Is Phil ranting Ignorance, hate, or both?
Ignorance (He doesn't know any better) 14 18.67%
Hate (He's not stupid, just hateful) 4 5.33%
Both ... Mostly ignorant 40 53.33%
Both ... Mostly hateful 17 22.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:51 AM   #626
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
Phil is an inspiration to everyone
You're funny (maybe not to everyone).
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:16 AM   #627
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
What defines a true American?

Why, Hulk Hogan, of course. didn't you listen to his theme music?

Quote:
I am a real American
Fight for the rights of every man
I am a real American
Fight for what's right; fight for your lives
Bold for emphasis.

Doesn't appear that Phil meets that definition from the statements he's made. Some people in this thread as well.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:00 AM   #628
EvilQueen
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Flyfishing View Post
What rights am I advocating be taken away from homosexuals?
That's how she works. If you don't agree with her, then you are against everything and taking our rights away.

I do not share her views on most things.
EvilQueen is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:09 AM   #629
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
That's how she works. If you don't agree with her, then you are against everything and taking our rights away.

I do not share her views on most things.
And it's OK to disagree. Obviously I don't share your views on most things either.

However, SLC Flyfishing is doing nothing more than evading question after question. He knows what I'm talking about and instead of admitting it, he has chosen to avoid posting a response.

He got himself into a mess after accusing multiple posters here of being in favor of silencing those we disagree with. Not only has he been unable to back up his statements, he also has proven that he is guilty of exactly what he is accusing everyone of.
Moyank24 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:39 PM   #630
Rt&Dzine
macrumors 6502a

Ignorance and stupidity aren't necessarily the same thing.

Oh, and Phil isn't an inspiration to everyone.
Rt&Dzine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:26 PM   #631
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rt&Dzine View Post
Ignorance and stupidity aren't necessarily the same thing.

Oh, and Phil isn't an inspiration to everyone.
He is to other same thinking Christians. This is pretty much preaching to the choir and not bringing others to Christ. These Christians think people hearing his message are going to flock to a church because it makes them feel warm and cuddly to have a celeb agree with their beliefs.
but he actually just harms his mission to bring people to Christ and is just not smart enough to know this.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 02:36 PM   #632
Rt&Dzine
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve knight View Post
He is to other same thinking Christians. This is pretty much preaching to the choir and not bringing others to Christ. These Christians think people hearing his message are going to flock to a church because it makes them feel warm and cuddly to have a celeb agree with their beliefs.
but he actually just harms his mission to bring people to Christ and is just not smart enough to know this.
Right. He's an inspiration to some but I don't think he's even trying to bring others to Christ.

Last edited by Rt&Dzine; Mar 16, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
Rt&Dzine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:31 PM   #633
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he asked about his views on things? If so, I don't see what the problem is. It's not like he was shoving his beliefs down everyone else's throats -- people can believe whatever they want.
mrsir2009 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:48 PM   #634
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he asked about his views on things? If so, I don't see what the problem is. It's not like he was shoving his beliefs down everyone else's throats -- people can believe whatever they want.
He broke his contract with AE because he knew he had to have a publicist with him when giving interviews and his publicist wasn't there when he decided to spout off.

What he said in the interview was bad but his "sermons" were disgusting. He's free to say what he thinks but he's not free from repercussion.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:48 AM   #635
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I don't see how it makes a difference whether you're asked or whether you voluntarily put forth your point of view.

Once that opinion is put forth, then you have the right to respond to that opinion.

People can believe what they want. But that includes people who believe his opinion is wrong. They have the right to voice that disagreement.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:44 AM   #636
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Once that opinion is put forth, then you have the right to respond to that opinion.
Thatís what I think is really important. Who cares if he was asked. If he didnít want to risk criticism, he could have refused to answer. The minute you open your mouth, you put yourself at risk for criticism. The only exception would be if the presenter put someones words out of context or deliberately mislead people so that the actual context is irrevocably lost. That or itís just plain not the guys serious words.

If I am just spiting outright lies for the purpose of trolling for the point of satire and for the humor of it about all you can do is argue my effectiveness of said humor. Not much value overall and not worth it.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:08 AM   #637
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Lets stay on topic, if anyone wishes to discuss moderator actions then please use the contact us link
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:00 PM   #638
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
This really surprises me. But ratings for the premiere of Duck Dynasty are apparently are down significantly from last season.

Quote:
A&Eís flagship reality series clocked 8.5 million viewers Wednesday night, snapping a streak of ratings records and posting its first season-to-season drop. Among adults 18-49, the premiere averaged 4.2 million viewers, down 33%. Those are still huge numbers for a cable series, but the Season 5 opener was down from the showís Season 4 debut, which drew nearly 12 million to become the No. 1-rated nonfiction series telecast in cable history. It edged the Season 4 finale, which was watched by 8.4 million.
(Emphasis mine)
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:03 PM   #639
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post
This really surprises me. But ratings for the premiere of Duck Dynasty are apparently are down significantly from last season.

(Emphasis mine)
Interesting how this parallels Dog the Bounty Hunter, especially after he Dog dropped the N-word at someone, and got caught doing it. That was the catalyst that ended their deal with A&E. This could take that same route..

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:23 PM   #640
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Interesting how this parallels Dog the Bounty Hunter, especially after he Dog dropped the N-word at someone, and got caught doing it. That was the catalyst that ended their deal with A&E. This could take that same route..

BL.

I think you missed that part that said, "Those are still huge numbers for a cable series". A&E is still making a fortune. If DD isn't on their air next year, it will be because of the Robertson's walking after their contract ends.

Who the **** is Dog the bounty hunter?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 01:35 PM   #641
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I think you missed that part that said, "Those are still huge numbers for a cable series". A&E is still making a fortune. If DD isn't on their air next year, it will be because of the Robertson's walking after their contract ends.
Nope, not at all. Like I said, the same thing happened with them. Proportionately, they did have a similar trend: viewership was still high for them, but lower than their previous seasons after he dropped the N-word. After that, it dropped off completely, to the point where it relegated him to CMT.

Quote:
Again, my point proven.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:04 PM   #642
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:

Shows generally lose their audience after the premiere. I wonder how many tuned in expecting to see some of the controversy play out in this episode (which was apparently filmed before Phil made those deplorable comments).

Still - you're right about the numbers. Even with that drop off, the show is still generating revenue for A&E. As long as it does that, it won't go anywhere.
SwiftLives is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 05:30 PM   #643
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftLives View Post

(Emphasis mine)
Of course they are. They had a diverse audience. Most likely plenty of minorities and gays got turned off by his ranting.

----------

Quote:

He's a dog in Hawaii who cries for the bounties he captures. Very emotional.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 08:13 AM   #644
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Think "The Fall Guy", add twice the plot-holes and let Jody gain 30 years and 100pounds...

Bug-Creator is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues