Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I find that quote humorous. Since when has blizzard produced anything in a reasonable timeframe? ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm getting all excited about playing Everquest Next Landmark, and I was just told about an online MMO called Wurm- a world building game similar to minecraft, without the annoying big blocks. It looks slick and it is platform independent meaning it will play on Mac, Windows, or Linux.

Anyone indulging? If so, I'd like to bend your ear!

wurm.20110524.2235_1.jpg

8268-550x-wurm.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let me know what you think

I'm still new to the game but so far it's a lot of fun.

Had a free key, but oddly had some trouble getting access to the game. I ended up putting it aside. Sorry for the delayed response. Right now there is absolutely nothing new/on the horizon MMORPGs drawing my attention.

I'm getting all excited about playing Everquest Next Landmark, and I was just told about an online MMO called Wurm- a world building game similar to minecraft, without the annoying big blocks. It looks slick and it is platform independent meaning it will play on Mac, Windows, or Linux.

Anyone indulging? If so, I'd like to bend your ear!

Landmark- Been there, done that. I think I prefer building on my own server, something I can control, like Minecraft where I can let that lay there for months, come back and not fear being evicted. ;) I'm spending a lot of time with Space Engineers (also not a MMO) but it has servers, and I'm keeping an eye on Blockscape , a Minecraft style building game that promises to be smooth, not blocky, but is in pre-release status and has not produced an update since attaining its pre-release status on Steam. I won't go there until I see another update...

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Looks like the next big thing for now has turned out to be the WoW: Warlords of Draenor expansion. WoW subs have climbed up to over 10 million again. :)

I know I am having a blast with it. The garrisons feature is just awesome. There are lots of treasures to find and plenty of rare named with nice loot too. Plus any loot you get has a random chance to upgrade on the spot to a rare or epic version of the item. It's the best WoW expansion yet.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Looks like the next big thing for now has turned out to be the WoW: Warlords of Draenor expansion. WoW subs have climbed up to over 10 million again. :)

I know I am having a blast with it. The garrisons feature is just awesome. There are lots of treasures to find and plenty of rare named with nice loot too. Plus any loot you get has a random chance to upgrade on the spot to a rare or epic version of the item. It's the best WoW expansion yet.

Not to mention the lore that has come back to the proper levels, after pandaria downfall, and the very well designed dungeons. Most dungeon boss encounters are really well made. Even the lack of mount flying adds to the atmosphere (I hope they'll keep it that way).

Seems that this might be one of the best expansions, although it certainly had the worst launch of all expansions so far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I've not played for years and years, don't really have a clue how I would jump back in. Just casually mentioning it, not seriously considering it at this point... Last time I was in I think the cap was 80... :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Armored Warefare- Beta signups in progress. I've been playing World of Tanks for 2 years. I'm excited by this! :D Cry Engine, definitely more colorful than WoT. Weather during battles is planned. Mac version... Unknown

armored-warfare.jpg

armored-warfare-1.jpg

0039327.jpg

Last edited:

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Had a free key, but oddly had some trouble getting access to the game. I ended up putting it aside. Sorry for the delayed response. Right now there is absolutely nothing new/on the horizon MMORPGs drawing my attention.

It's ok. Since then Carbine ended up ruining the game and their main producer quit the company.

For online games, I've been spending most of my time playing Marvel Heroes 2015, which is an Action RPG. Not an MMO, but it's fun as hell and free.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's ok. Since then Carbine ended up ruining the game and their main producer quit the company.

For online games, I've been spending most of my time playing Marvel Heroes 2015, which is an Action RPG. Not an MMO, but it's fun as hell and free.

Actually I misspoke as evidenced by my previous post, I am kinda excited by Armored Warfare, but this is not a MMORPG, just a MMO Combat game. :)

Last edited:

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I still see WoW being the big MMO for another 5-10 years while the genre as a whole kinda dies out, or at least gets smaller. Its such a huge undertaking and most companies don't have the time/money to do it right. On top of that, most try to get crazy with graphics while the industry seems to be regressing in that sense...cept for the few benchmark games obviously. WoW works on almost any computer, already has a sea of content for cheap, i'd say the sub model is the only thing still keeping it from being huge again. If something comes out that can actually compete with that they'd just get rid of the sub fee and do micro transactions anyway. Not saying MMOs are going away tomorrow, but the genre is definitely becoming more focused, smaller, and still far behind Blizzards flagship game. Even Blizzard said they tried to do too much with Titan and it was just too big so they cut it and are now making smaller pub style fun games. Even they couldn't beat WoW lol.

tl;dr I wish they would just update Asherons Call lol

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I still see WoW being the big MMO for another 5-10 years while the genre as a whole kinda dies out, or at least gets smaller. Its such a huge undertaking and most companies don't have the time/money to do it right. On top of that, most try to get crazy with graphics while the industry seems to be regressing in that sense...cept for the few benchmark games obviously. WoW works on almost any computer, already has a sea of content for cheap, i'd say the sub model is the only thing still keeping it from being huge again. If something comes out that can actually compete with that they'd just get rid of the sub fee and do micro transactions anyway. Not saying MMOs are going away tomorrow, but the genre is definitely becoming more focused, smaller, and still far behind Blizzards flagship game. Even Blizzard said they tried to do too much with Titan and it was just too big so they cut it and are now making smaller pub style fun games. Even they couldn't beat WoW lol.

tl;dr I wish they would just update Asherons Call lol

Shocking. I am sorely out of touch. Here is an article about Titan. Near future on Earth, fighting aliens? I got no warm and fuzzies from that idea. :p Cancelling Titan may give WoW more life as long as they can keep their subscription base.

Titan's death may leave Blizzard's future in the hands of Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm

World of Warcraft expansions expected to arrive more quickly in the future, Blizzard says

Smaller pub style fun games- have a title or any info on this? Hearthstone, a card playing game? :rolleyes: Subscriptions based games as a rule appear to be dead. WoW is still able to buck that trend... ;)

Last edited:

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
... i'd say the sub model is the only thing still keeping it from being huge again. ...

Indeed, concerning Titan, it seems they couldn't actually keep up with their own current flagship.

However, for the quoted part, WoW is back on being huge (although, even on their lowest period of active subs, it was still huge compared to anything else). Latest expansion raised the active subs back to 10 millions.

Looks like that the only way to kill WoW (even for Blizzard itself) is to shut down the servers :p

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Heroes of the Storm is a lot of fun. the day after i resigned up for WoW, i got a alpha invite for Heroes of the Storm. I never played the DotA maps back in the WC3 days so its new and fun for me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Indeed, concerning Titan, it seems they couldn't actually keep up with their own current flagship.

However, for the quoted part, WoW is back on being huge (although, even on their lowest period of active subs, it was still huge compared to anything else). Latest expansion raised the active subs back to 10 millions.

Looks like that the only way to kill WoW (even for Blizzard itself) is to shut down the servers :p

It was reported that Blizzard shoved $50m into the Black Hole named Titan before pulling the plug. Pocket change to them. ;)

How many people today buy WoW for the first time and play it from L1 I wonder... With the subscription model basically dead, except for WoW, I can see them milking it for another decade as long as the numbers hold up. Truly a one of a kind game.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
It was reported that Blizzard shoved $50m into the Black Hole named Titan before pulling the plug. Pocket change to them. ;)

If Blizzard will put PvE with gear system in Overwatch they will earn billion times more than they put in it.

So far its a brilliant game with phenomenal graphics. But lacks only PvE, for me.

Put in it Raids with Gear and you have another great MMO that will live loooong time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If Blizzard will put PvE with gear system in Overwatch they will earn billion times more than they put in it.

So far its a brilliant game with phenomenal graphics. But lacks only PvE, for me.

Put in it Raids with Gear and you have another great MMO that will live loooong time.

Looks like a cross between Unreal Tournament CTF and Team Fortress. Lately I've been toying with UT 2004 through Steam. :)

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah, my dream is coming true, but, will truly come to life if they will give PvE with gear system.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I recently started Elite Dangerous a space sandbox game that I believe hopes to compete with Eve Online This started as an ED post, but it's too general, too rambling so put it here. Figuring out if a space sandbox is for me. I'll compare Elite Dangerous to 3 other MMO games- Worold of Warcraft, World of Tanks , and Eve. Hopefully I'm not sounding like I've turned into Mr Negative over night, but this is how I see it.

I'm an Elite Dangerous newb. When you first start out in ED you'll be impressed with the Space Stations, but after a short while they will become routine, like a trip to the grocery store. In my first 5 or 8 hours I've played Elite Dangerous, not counting a good hour setting up my joystick, the majority of my time has been mostly looking at the bulletin board or the commodities page, researching where the best trades happen, and making a decision on mission or commodity with the hope of pulling in some big money instead of a paltry 1200 credits. Have to get this ship upgraded! :) Tieing for first place, might be running through the combat tutorials multiple times which are the most fun I've had. The second most time I've spent is droning through black space looking at only a destination marker In the far distance, covering emmence distances, but there is nothing to see while doing this (so far). I've seen the Eve screenshots and based on the celestial sights, Eve beats ED hands down for pretty. The forth most time is being impressed with space stations and learning how to dock efficiently. The least time was being interdicted by a pirate in route and fighting him until System Authorities appeared to assist. This was the most fun in game. Somehow I still got that bounty.

In WoW you have a fairly consistent intriguing and varied environments with lots of NPC interaction and tons of quests. Can you mine and craft? Yes. Huge death penalty? No. Honestly interactions/fighting during quests are very repetitive. What keeps me going with WoW, when I do play it? Environment, lore, and story. Last time I played was 2 years ago and I figure they might get 6 months out of me this time. Total play time approx 3 years. Subscription.

WOT has short encounters, a variety of maps, and a relatively small death penalty which consists of repairing your tank. In the bottom half of tiers you'll always make money. In the upper tiers not always the case, but if you kicked ass in the battle, you'll make money, sometime relatively large amounts of money even though your tank explodes. A tier 9 tanks costs about 17000 silver to repair, while rewards for a battle can vary from a loss of -17000 to a gain of 75-100k, for 15 minutes of work. There are no quests, just raw PVP using strategy and teamwork to kill the other team. Always exciting, frequently frustrating when you team is composed of idiots. Total play time 2 years and still going. And I don't have a tier 10'tank yet. This is because I'm playing about 30 different tanks. No subscription but paying premium ($9/month).

When I compare ED to Eve, Eve has a subscription which for me is historically bad. No subscription is usually better although I'll acknowledge that WoW is the absolute best in what it has accomplished in the MMORPR arena, with a subscription. I don't think mining will hold me in either game.

Both Eve and ED can have HUGE death penalties. For myself, this is a turnoff although they can be somewhat mitigated. Not sure about Eve if a large mega ship is blown up. It seems like Eve allows for large group efforts, huge battles and territorial conquest, while Eve is mostly going it alone, unless you band with a group of friends or a guild. You can create a private server (in-game), but other than conraderie, I see no compelling reason to work as part of a guild unless it is specifically to coordinate efforts killing tough pirates. But as I understand it, you can't even easily keep track of your partner. But even so, there will be no other real coordinated guild efforts. Last shot gets the bounty so be careful and switch off on who gets the last shot. Both of these games seem to big time sinks like many sandbox games are, if you are doing group battles, Eve is probably worse for time, but I acknowledge has a greater potential for a thrilling group experience.

Last night when I was considering what game to play, did I choose breaking out the commodity charts and hauling some fish from point A to B in the dark all alone earning some cash in ED? No, I ended up running around Pandaria for a couple of hours questing probably 10 quests, including running a 20 minute instance. Then I devoted a couple of hours in tanks, jumping into 15v15 PVP battles within 30 sec of logging on- very focused.

Enough of my rambling. Where does that leave me with ED? I don't know. It does not mean I'll likely be playing Eve. I keep going back to the ED combat tutorials cause they are fun, but there is not so nearly as efficient means in game to experience this. Obviously I need to figure out bounty hunting in short order if I am going to be playing ED for some period of time. I recently downloaded Starpoint Gemini 2, a solo space game with I presume to include a campaign. Now would be a good time to mess with that for a comparison. Maybe I need my hand held in the vastness of space. :p

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Well, 2 months later here's my take on Warlords of Draenor/WoW...

I leveled my main to 100, didn't complete Nagrand and don't really feel like bothering with 5 hubs worth of quests just to see the end cinematic and get an item that isn't useful to me at this point.

My garrison is fully built out and self sustaining. I've reached the point where I just login and run the apexis crystals daily to get an epic cloak because it is the only slot left that I have a 630 blue in. I hit over 645 ilvl in both feral and resto specs and just need the cloaks to hit the savagely epic achievement but I am finding it hard to care. I also pickup the various work orders, herbs and ores then hearth to Warspear to put them in the bank supposedly for alts to craft with maybe someday.

I got 3 alts into garrisons at level 90 just collecting free guild resources I pick up every couple of days. They each have about 5k now. The cap is 10k. My main has about 5k and growing faster than I spend them on missions.

Speaking of missions, I have all 5 followers I needed working the buildings in my garrison and another 20 are leveled to 100/epic and are all at 645 plus for gear so they can do any and all missions including the highmaul raid ones.

I did the legendary quest up to the 680 ring. Just collecting stones now to get the upgrade to 690.

It was fun reaching this point and just doing LFR raids once a week to see the content and get some upgrades. It was fun running all the heroics at least once and passing the silver proving grounds in both my specs. However, now after just two months it has become routine and boring really. I meant to cancel this month and missed it by an hour accidentally. lol

I guess I'll give it another month and maybe I'll have some fun with the alts or something but somehow I just feel burned out on the repetitiveness of it all.

I was about 25 hours into KOTOR for Mac (thanks Aspyr!) when Draenor hit and hadn't touched it since. The other night I fired it up, reacquainted myself with it and played a bit. It was fun too. In this single player game I felt like there was purpose and story to unfold, etc.

Anyway, that's my story about WoW.

I am considering Elder Scrolls Online but I probably should just play Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim instead. The persistent worlds of MMOs with vast interesting places to explore and populated by other real people appeals to me though and is what has kept me coming back since I began playing them well over a decade ago now. Anyone have any comments about ESO? Maybe I should try Diablo III. I know it isn't an MMO but I wonder what the multiplayer is like in that, if any of it is cooperative or is it all just pvp.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone have any comments about ESO? Maybe I should try Diablo III. I know it isn't an MMO but I wonder what the multiplayer is like in that, if any of it is cooperative or is it all just pvp.

Played both ESO betas when released for Mac. I didn't join the final release because of not enough time available, but I read that it now has established a stable player base and going fine. The footage I've seen on youtube and streaming channels from the final release (e.g. dungeon instances) look really unique.

D3 becomes quite repetitive after a while. I've read that they have lately added a few more playing modes/options so it definitely worth to check it out (especially since now loot system is not the big mess it used to be).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.