Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you own an iMac with Seagate's ST31000528ASQ HD?

• Yes, it is quiet with no loud clicking noises.

Votes: 114 52.8%
  • Yes, it is loud but it is working fine.

Votes: 74 34.3%
  • Yes, I get long pauses when transferring data or opening applications.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • I did but I returned it because it became defective due to the hard drive's failing.

Votes: 16 7.4%

• Total voters

chrissyb

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Sorry to bump the thread...

I'm having the same mysterious runaround. I don't understand which replacements we can use - there are places recommending the exact drive without the "Q". I'm assuming the "Q" has something to do with being apple badged - but then that makes you wonder about firmware updates. I think some people have raised this concern, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

Is there anybody who can simply recommend a like for like replacement?

My drive failed after two years - but has been noisy for the last 6 months. :confused:

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I had to return mine it was so loud. They made sure I had a new Hitachi drive. The new HD didn't have any of the old problems.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Will Apple replace free?

Will Apple replace one of these drives just because it is noisy? I doubt it but thought I might ask if anyone has tried.

Mine is coming out of standard warranty in a few months and has made disconcerting sounds since I had it. They are not loud but they worry me. My dad taught me about cars "where there's noise there's wear."

MichaelMacXP

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
S.M.A.R.T. failures this week

For the ST31000528ASQ in my late 2009 27" iMac. It's telling me it can't be repaired.

Bummer for a 1.9 year old computer...

punker2099

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
I want to know from people's experience who own an iMac with a Seagate drive?
I hate Seagate as a hard drive manufacturer and with my luck I received my iMac i7 today with a Seagate ST31000528ASQ Drive.

I have read horrible reviews about loud clicking noises and people's hard drive failing.

Do you own one?

1. Has your drive failed?

2. Does it make loud clicking noises?

3.Do you get long pauses and the beach ball every once in a while or when loading an application?

4. Do you get errors when transferring data?

YES!! EXACTLY THE SAME SYMPTOMS THAT LED TO THE END!! :mad::mad::mad:

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
In my iMac, the temperature sensor broke after 25 months, the Seagate HDD itself was still working OK. The HDD was replaced under AppleCare and it makes the same faint grumbling noise as the previous one, which by the way doesn't bother me at all.

revat

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Mine failed. Not under apple care. I called apple and they refused to help apparently I am not part of the recall. Interesting because the drive is not three years old, and would have been under warranty from seagate if it was in a PC. I replaced it with a SSD. I took the circuit board off the HDD and left the thermal sensor plugged into it, while connecting the power and the SATA cables into the new SSD. I was able to use the bracket that was on the original HDD to mount the SSD and the circuit board from the original HDD. No fan issues. I used http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-trim-support-for-all-ssds-in-os-x-lion/ to enable trim. Seems to be working great.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I actually had WD Black and that one started to go bad so Apple Care replaced it with this particular Seagate model. The very first thing I noticed was the difference in noise between the two. The Seagate is noticeably louder both when idle and under full load.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Letter from Apple

I got this email recently. Did anyone else get the same? It looks legit but I don't recognize the email address.

"From: Apple <News_Asia@InsideApple.Apple.com>
Subject: Important information about your iMac.
Date: October 25, 2012 11:47:36 AM GMT+07:00
To: <removed>

Dear iMac owner,

Apple has determined that certain 1TB Seagate hard drives used in 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMac systems may fail. These systems were sold between October 2009 and July 2011.

Our records show that you have an iMac with an affected 1TB Seagate hard drive. Apple will replace your hard drive with a new one, free of charge, under the iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program.

Please choose one of the following options to get a replacement hard drive.
•
Apple Authorised Service Provider — Find one here.
•
Apple Technical Support — Contact us for local service options.
Apple recommends replacing your affected hard drive as soon as possible. Before you go in for service, please back up your data. Learn more about backup options.

Additional Information

You will need to have the original Mac OS installation discs that were shipped with your iMac in order to reinstall your operating system, other applications and any backed-up data after your hard drive is replaced.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iMac.

Apple will replace affected 1TB Seagate hard drives, free of charge, for three years from your iMac’s original date of purchase or until 12 April, 2013, whichever provides longer coverage for you. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and provide extensions to this program as needed.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Apple Inc."

The drive in my 2010 iMac was about to fail (SMART message in Disc Utility.app, delays, freeze-ups and beachballs etc.) and I replaced it with an SSD less than a month ago. When I got the email I called the authorized reseller in Ho Chi Minh City (there is no official Apple store) where I had made the change and they said that if I kept the old drive that I could bring it in and they could give me a replacement and put the SSD where the optical drive is now. My only new cost will be a USB DVD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.