Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Southend on Sea, Essex, UK
Switched on machine and i heard the tone. Then i heard the just fading out end of the tone again and the screen stayed white, no boot. Pushed power button, same thing. Unplugged at the back, powered on and that sorted it. However I remain nervous. Has anyone else ever had this problem or know what might have happened? :confused:

Mac Pro 2008 2 x 2.8ghz quad core. 10.6.8 8gb ram (8x1gb sticks)

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I had the same problem on my 2008 Mac Pro but after many happenings I discovered something very interest. I use the ATI 5770 video card that has a display port on it. I then have an older Dell display that has a disport port on both. So I connected the two display ports together. Then I ran into the no boot (after a storm power out) problem (just like what you described) and found if I disconnect the display port cable (from either the Mac or the display) the 2008 Mac Pro would boot right up! Then reconnecting the cable and everything work.

So if you using the display port to a monitor try disconnecting it (before the 'bong' sound) and then reconnecting it after the 'bong' sound. This might help, Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.