Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you believe the 5th gen iPad willstart out with 32GB?

• Yes

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 35 53.8%

• Total voters

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
No, I don't think it's time to cut the cord on all 16GB devices, but I do think they'll release the full sized iPad with base model having 32GB. It'll be one way they create a "premium" value for the full sized iPad over the mini as a way to differentiate the two products. They'll offer 32GB, 64GB and 128GB in the full sized iPad, and continue to offer 16GB, 32GB and 64GB in the mini this year.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
it would be nice if Apple made the 32gb the base model but it probably won't happen.

or alternatively, lower the price on the 16gb version and adjust the prices downward slightly on the rest of the models but again, it probably won't happen.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2012
it would be nice if Apple made the 32gb the base model but it probably won't happen.

or alternatively, lower the price on the 16gb version and adjust the prices downward slightly on the rest of the models but again, it probably won't happen.

It would be nice, but I don't see them having $399 16GB iPad unless they always just use previous years 16GB for that price point, and use 32GB for current gen. a $399 current gen 16gb would eat away at iPad mini's market share a little bit, except those buying it specifically for form factor.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/pages/New-iPad-32-GB-4G-Carries-364-35-Bill-of-Materials.aspx
It's not a $100 loss for them building wise. In 2012 it was an estimated $16 difference, and the way storage prices have been dropping. I'm assuming it's a bit smaller of a margin this year.

128GB LTE @ $929 can't be selling well. I bought my open box MBA for $935... Price is getting to close to MBA MBP pricing and for the price I think most would go with a laptop. Something's gotta give :)

Funny enough flash prices have dropped flat in 2010, yet Apple pretends they didn't and continually overcharges customers for capacity. The 128gb model should easily fit the 64gb price point but alas Apple plays us for dumb and adds 100 charge for the extra 64gb space.

iPod touch is even more hilarious, same price points for 3 years in which 2 of the years the product hadn't even changed.

Apple is looking for profits, if people continue to buy the 16gb model they'll continue to milk the cow.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Funny enough flash prices have dropped flat in 2010, yet Apple pretends they didn't and continually overcharges customers for capacity. The 128gb model should easily fit the 64gb price point but alas Apple plays us for dumb and adds 100 charge for the extra 64gb space.

iPod touch is even more hilarious, same price points for 3 years in which 2 of the years the product hadn't even changed.

Apple is looking for profits, if people continue to buy the 16gb model they'll continue to milk the cow.

Flash prices have dropped, yes. But Apple's pricing of the extra storage depends on what the customers are willing to pay. And since it's practically impossible to upgrade it post-purchase, many customers are willing to pay even more upfront for the extra storage. Of course Apple takes advantage of this, they would be stupid not to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.