Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
About me:
I'm 26, finishing up my last three quarters at UCSD this fall. I'm studying engineering. As far as gadgetry goes, I have:
13" MacBook Pro Classic
iPod Touch 16GB (The no-camera one)
Nexus 4

What should I throw in my backpack? What has made college easier for you?

My contribution:
Japanese highlighters!
http://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Mildli...hlighter-Pen-5-Cool-Refined-Color-Set/pd/4867

You might be asking, "Dude what's wrong with regular highlighters?"
Well these are easy on the eyes. They also have unique colors like brown and grey. The other cool thing is, they have a very subtle hue to them so it makes it like you printed the page with a colored background on the writing.

Here's an example picture of traditional highlighters (Credits to loving-each-day.com blog):
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5096/5568672798_9f611ce4da.jpg

And the Japanese Zebra Mildliners:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5138/5568673672_808828b96e.jpg

As you can see, the Mildliners are subtle, easier on the eyes, less glowy but definitely give you the notion of importance.

My second recommendation:
Cheap laser printer-
Dual sided printing? No.
Color? Also negative.
So what's the advantage? Cheap refills. Even on $1500 industrial grade stack printers with the university, you have issues with dual sided printing. It's annoying to print dual sided and have a paper jam or some error in the set up.
90% of the stuff you print for assignments doesn't require color.
But what you DO get as an incentive, is a refill for your laser toner for about $4.50 which gives you literally over a thousand pages.

Look into either the Brother 2240 or if you can find one, a used Brother 2140. Requires modifying the toner cartridge and a starter kit, but single handedly the best investment I made in the last four years of school. I bought a Brother 2140 for $49.99 and I've refilled it twice through college: I've taken three writing classes, three lab classes which require printed reports, and I've printed every syllabus, class schedule and other peoples' assignments as well.

SilverOath

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
I'm in graduate school, and also taking some pre-med stuff on the side...

Last Semester...
MacBook Pro Retina 15
Microsoft Surface Pro (I'm really enjoying taking notes electronically).

This Summer/Fall...
MacBook Air 13
Note 8.0 (Notes)
iPad 2 (eBooks) - hopefully switching to a iPad Mini once I can get a cheap one off CL.

I wish I still had my Surface Pro -- I only used it for OneNote and really found it revolutionary. It had much better digital stylus functionality and precision than the Samsung Note 10.1 / 8.0. It allows me to take really good notes in Physics, Calculus, and Chemistry. Unfortunately some jerk decided to mug me... I didn't use it for anything else and opted not to replace it and got a cheaper Note 8.0 which works well too... however it requires a little pre-planned management for spacing, but it's much lighter and has better battery longevity.

dmarcia

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Sydney
I'm in my 3rd semester of Network Security class,

Last semester:

Backpack:
2012 15" rMBP
iPad Mini 64 Gb
iPhone5 64 Gb

Room:
2012 13"MBA

This semester

Backpack:
2013 13" MBA
iPad Mini 16 GB (the last one get stolen)
iPhone 5 16 Gb (the last one was sent to my dad overseas)

Room:
2013 Alienware 17

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I'm not a college student, but overall, I think you have some good advice regarding laser printers over inkjet. I disagree about the double sided printing though. It saves a lot of paper and weight, which is really helpful when you are printing lecture slides/ reading materials for a full course load.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Last semester:

Backpack:
2010 15" MBP
iPhone 4 32gb

This semester

Backpack:
2013 15" rMBP
iPhone 5 16gb

What can I say, it's been a good year :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
My second recommendation:
Cheap laser printer-
Dual sided printing? No.
Color? Also negative.

I'm not a student but teach part time (Electrical Engineering). From dealing with a flood of paper (assignments to students and reports from students) I've gotten it down to ZERO with all my handouts sent electronically and reports required in PDF (or DOC). I'd done this on my own initiative for years but the college now strongly supports this. Hopefully more schools and instructors will follow. It's really a waste of trees.

That said, if I were to be buying a printer now, it would certainly be a monochrome laser printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.