Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flapflap

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
All the people who think that using this would be retireing, impracticle or look hillarious, are misunderstanding how this works.

You can use your arm for gestures but you don´t have to!

This detects your finger- and wrist movement, so you can do all the gestures while resting your hand in your lap.
Holding your arm in a certain position to control your mouse or trackpad is more retiering than this trust me (and a trackpad/ mouse is nearly unusable on the go).

Last edited:

Tifetup

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
umm....just a little white lie...

I LOVE this product more than anyone and think it should be the future of gaming. I also understand the video is obviously partially faked, but I also am a massage therapist and have to call BS on the:
"What sort of precision does the myo have?

The MYO senses gestures and movements in two ways: 1) muscle activity, and 2) motion sensing. When sensing the muscle movements of the user, the device can detect changes in hand gesture right down to each individual finger. When tracking the positioning in space of the arm and hand, the device can detect subtle movements all directions."

Ever hear of a muscle called Extensor Digitorum?
It's on the back of your forearm and attaches (controls) the middle and distal phalanges of the fingers (read multiple fingers) which explains why many people can't be like Spock...lol (live long and prosper)
Notice how they use the "sign of the horns" gesture and no one is pointing using a middle or even two fingers other than the index and pinky...you know why????

...because there are two muscles dedicated to these fingers, extensor indicis and extensor carpi ulnaris...and this is just the dorsal forearm...
I just hope everyone is ready for a little disappointment...think of Kinect...:eek:

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Just think of all the RSI problems this thing is gonna cause. Looks cool, but I don't think think it'll be practical in the long run.

No such thing as RSI when using the MYO. I've been around deaf people who sign all day and not get tired much from it, so I'm very familiar with this culture.

Also, as a fencer, I don't get RSI when using my weapon against another opponent. My hand and arm gets stronger over time when practicing in class and in tournaments. In other words, fencers put their blades high up, pointed at the opponents' neck without dropping down that much.

And those weapons are not even heavy at all.

But you can get RSI when typing all day or using the standard mouse if used incorrectly. RSI affects those who work long hours in a certain pose or stance without taking a break or using incorrect form.

It's one reason why I NEVER, EVER use Apple's bluetooth keyboard for my desktop and rely on Microsoft Natural Ergonomic keyboard which is very helpful for touch-typing and comfortable to use. Sure, it's big but it bother me not. So if you're going to be typing or coding for hours, go with an ergonomic keyboard. Don't for 'purty' looks. Go with what functions well.

And as a graphic designer/artist, I use the Wacom with the stylus which makes it easier for me to manipulate images or digitally paint, using the short keys (I'm referring to the Intuos 4 model which is excellent). The Cintiq, on the other hand, is on the luxurious and expensive side and is one of the most coveted and sought after device by creative professionals/agencies.

But I'm sure it won't surprise me if Wacom introduces a tablet using their own brand with a touch-screen on a cheaper scale while retaining their trademark pressure sensitivity and stylus. The reason I say this is because they had a survey over a year ago questioning Wacom users about exploring possibilities into that realm.

I'm aware they have licensed Microsoft using their tech for stylus and pressure sensitivity uses (I think Surface Pro and Samsung are the only ones so far with this tech).

Anyway, point is that the MYO is a great concept along with Leap Motion that they are the next frontier of motion computing. RSI should'nt be a problem because it's not designed to be used all day.

Minority Report is already here and the production folks of that film KNEW about this coming around the corner years ago.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
The concept is cool, but in practice it wouldn't be that valuable as it would wear you out (try lifting up your arm and flex your forearm for 5 seconds, and you'll see how tiring that can be).

A deaf friend of mine says that you don't know what your talking about. It would be no different than talking to another human in sign language. To expand on my friends point; Stop being so lazy.

He also says that this is awesome, because Siri cannot understand him, and this would be a good alternative if Siri were to come to the mac.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
i sometimes get twitches in my muscles (mostly bicep and tricep) i wonder if that would render this product useless to me

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Who's done your research on that? It's a very unqualified statement to make and could be argued that it's been disproven based on the preorders from this thread alone.

You might not want to wear one, other people will make up their own minds.

I think some of the negative criticism on this product come from people unable to expand their minds to the possibilities.

Disproven by this thread? What a joke - only a couple hundred, maybe a thousand have pre-ordered, but as you are probably aware, there are a couple billion people around the world.

Think of it logically - the device is not sharable, meaning it is not practical for a social environment like video games; it needs to be on your arm, which gets in the way of clothing. It don't provide any major benefits to existing control over small screen devices, so that rules out mobile use. For TV/video games, Kinetic type technology is wireless and controller free. Leap controller is wireless and has significant resolution. I only see this device being used in certain circumstances or being incorporated into something more multi-functional ... like an iWatch or something else.

And as for wearable devices; bluetooth headphones have generally not taken off (they've done OK, but not spectacularly). Watches, less and less people are wearing them. What you can do with this controller, you can do with any other technology - without the clumsy armband.

----------

All the people who think that using this would be retireing, impracticle or look hillarious, are misunderstanding how this works.

You can use your arm for gestures but you don´t have to!

This detects your finger- and wrist movement, so you can do all the gestures while resting your hand in your lap.
Holding your arm in a certain position to control your mouse or trackpad is more retiering than this trust me (and a trackpad/ mouse is nearly unusable on the go).

Instead it will make you look like you have the twitch... Myo *cough* clonus... Myoclonus Ha Ha. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOPwQZJoC4E

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Disproven by this thread? What a joke - only a couple hundred, maybe a thousand have pre-ordered, but as you are probably aware, there are a couple billion people around the world.

Think of it logically - the device is not sharable, meaning it is not practical for a social environment like video games; it needs to be on your arm, which gets in the way of clothing. It don't provide any major benefits to existing control over small screen devices, so that rules out mobile use. For TV/video games, Kinetic type technology is wireless and controller free. Leap controller is wireless and has significant resolution. I only see this device being used in certain circumstances or being incorporated into something more multi-functional ... like an iWatch or something else.

And as for wearable devices; bluetooth headphones have generally not taken off (they've done OK, but not spectacularly). Watches, less and less people are wearing them. What you can do with this controller, you can do with any other technology - without the clumsy armband.

----------

Instead it will make you look like you have the twitch... Myo *cough* clonus... Myoclonus Ha Ha. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOPwQZJoC4E

All the points you made are garbage. People on this thread want it, meaning people want to wear it. Your point on 'people' not wanting to wear it is completely unfounded.

I think you need to open your mind beyond using this as a pc controller. The video itself should give you a clue on its uses. The major benefit this brings beyond other controller devices is the fact it can be used for many different purposes. Bluetooth headphones don't do much other than allow you to connect to receive audio. This can be used for much much more.

Less people are wearing watches? Are you on a wind up as that's just a stupid thing to say.

Are you 12 years old?

Flapflap

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Think of it logically - the device is not sharable, meaning it is not practical for a social environment like video games; it needs to be on your arm, which gets in the way of clothing. It don't provide any major benefits to existing control over small screen devices, so that rules out mobile use. For TV/video games, Kinetic type technology is wireless and controller free.

Ok here we go thinking "logically":

1.Of course it is shareable, just take it of and give it who ever you want.

2.Are you wearin Latex-Suits all day?
This wouldn't get in the way of any regular clothing.

3.This has a huge advantage over any Touch Screen device, cause you can use it blindly, wich is extremely relevant on the go.

4.Can you Control the Kinect while only moving your Fingers, can you use it mobile?
This can do both, its a device you can use and pair everywhere.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
A deaf friend of mine says that you don't know what your talking about. It would be no different than talking to another human in sign language. To expand on my friends point; Stop being so lazy.

He also says that this is awesome, because Siri cannot understand him, and this would be a good alternative if Siri were to come to the mac.

Exactly! I know many deaf people who sign all the time and never tire of it. And yes, I know that Siri is a problem for most of the deaf individuals because of the accentuation of their voices. A bit surprising that Apple has'nt gotten sued because of that.

I'm all for motion control than voice since it's more sensible than the latter. I don't mind using the mouse/trackball-pad or touchscreen either since I can use either mode. And I don't see voice controlled OSes being perfected until 25 to 50 years from now. Maybe 20. I'm not referring to just using Dragon dictation but for the entire use of the OS while in motion or driving (a far sensible reason for using voice activation to reduce any danger..of course there's that automated car of the future that's coming around the corner).

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
All the points you made are garbage. People on this thread want it, meaning people want to wear it. Your point on 'people' not wanting to wear it is completely unfounded.

I think you need to open your mind beyond using this as a pc controller.

People are the global people as in the masses, not a handful of geeks on this thread.

We can revisit this thread next year, and I can assure you, very few people will own a Myo, and even fewer will still be using it.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
People are the global people as in the masses, not a handful of geeks on this thread.

We can revisit this thread next year, and I can assure you, very few people will own a Myo, and even fewer will still be using it.

But you've done zero research on this and cannot make a claim that people will not wear it.

You can assure nothing. Saying you can makes you look stupid.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012

From what I can gather about the technology, it requires detection of muscle movement. So if you actually try flexing your forearm, it's going to take quite a bit of energy to send signals. That wouldn't be something that you could keep up for more than even a dozen seconds.

If the MYO were simply accelerometers, I would totally agree that it wouldn't be a problem, especially in light of sign language users.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
From what I can gather about the technology, it requires detection of muscle movement. So if you actually try flexing your forearm, it's going to take quite a bit of energy to send signals. That wouldn't be something that you could keep up for more than even a dozen seconds.

If the MYO were simply accelerometers, I would totally agree that it wouldn't be a problem, especially in light of sign language users.

except it isnt controlled by "flexing your forearm." The video, and all the info, implies that it is hand motions that control Myo, it simply detects the movements in the muscles of the forearm. It does not require awkward forearm flexing and counter-intuituve motions.

Most of the motions for input are basically ASL motions. end of story.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
I would not want to use that for a first person shooter. I don't want to have to hold my arms up, relaxing on armrests with keyboard and mouse is how I want to control my character, at least until they come up with a direct brain interface where I can control the character with my mind alone.

To your point, hopefully they release something that lets you control your game without any physical movement. Perhaps they'll even be able to include something that feeds you fast food without you having to lift your poor arms to pick it up. Lastly I should hope there is a way they can manage this while you're in a lying position, because sitting up can be such a bitch on the core.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.