Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WolverineKS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
COMMAND + F2 :) Yes I did that but still noticed some problems:

Cable used: Thunderbolt.
MacBook model: 15" Macbook Pro Retina Display.
iMac Model : 27" Late 2012 Model, these thin ones!

What I did: Connected them with thunderbolt, pressed Command+F2 on iMac's keyboard.
Result: Yes I had the control of my MBP on my iMac display.

Issue: I could NOT use Mouse or Keyboard of my iMac now. I still has to use MacBook's mouse and keyboard. Which is ridiculous! When I do the switch obviously I want the full control. I can't put MAcbook under my arms start typing on its keyboard and see the results on the iMAc display.

Are these other things to do to fix this that I am not aware of ?

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
COMMAND + F2 :) Yes I did that but still noticed some problems:

Cable used: Thunderbolt.
MacBook model: 15" Macbook Pro Retina Display.
iMac Model : 27" Late 2012 Model, these thin ones!

What I did: Connected them with thunderbolt, pressed Command+F2 on iMac's keyboard.
Result: Yes I had the control of my MBP on my iMac display.

Issue: I could NOT use Mouse or Keyboard of my iMac now. I still has to use MacBook's mouse and keyboard. Which is ridiculous! When I do the switch obviously I want the full control. I can't put MAcbook under my arms start typing on its keyboard and see the results on the iMAc display.

Are these other things to do to fix this that I am not aware of ?

Have you disconnected the thunderbolt cable connecting the two? Why did you connect the two in the first place? To be able to control your MacBook Pro with your iMac? It seems that you have to enter another Command series again to disable whatever the heck you've enabled, lol.. Good luck.. If I were you, I would call Apple, I'm sure they'd be able to get your straightened out a lot faster than someone on here would. As you at talking directly with Apple then, but on here, you're waiting for a response.

WolverineKS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
Ok got it working:

turn off both devices.
connect them with thunderbolt cable
turn on MacBookPro AND keep holding the "T" key on its keyboard. You will see it will go to a disk mode with some thunderbolt icon showing on its screen.
Turn on your iMac AND keep holding the OPTION key on its keyboard. You will see it will show you some hard disks on the display. Pick the one that is for the MacBookPro.
Done! Now Nothing from iMac is running in the background, iMac's peripherals are working for MacBookPro AND EVEN better: you are using CPU Power and RAM of your iMac to run MacBookPro.

NOTE: to turn off, don't just unplug the thunderbolt cable, first shut down the computer, then unplug the cable.

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Ok got it working:

turn off both devices.
turn on MacBookPro AND keep holding the "T" key on its keyboard. You will see it will go to a disk mode with some thunderbolt icon showing on its screen.
Turn on your iMac AND keep holding the OPTION key on its keyboard. You will see it will show you some hard disks on the display. Pick the one that is for the MacBookPro.
Done! Now Nothing from iMac is running in the background, iMac's peripherals are working for MacBookPro AND EVEN better: you are using CPU Power and RAM of your iMac to run MacBookPro.

NOTE: to turn off, don't just unplug the thunderbolt cable, first shut down the computer, then unplug the cable.

Glad you got it straightened out! That would freak me right out if I had something like that happening with my stuff. I'd be in the classic "Awe dangit, what did I do now?!" lol

Zoidberg79

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Ok got it working:

turn off both devices.

This seems like a great solution.

Why has no one else suggested this. It actually gives you the power of your iMac while still being able to use you macbook while on the go.

The only negative I can see is the danger of accidentally disconnecting the thunderbolt cable before shutdown.

No more need for a macbook dock!

No more need to plug in usb keyboards into my macbook :):):)

leonardokeke

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
Ok got it working:

turn off both devices.

leonardokeke

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2015
I don't understand what you mean in the highlighted sentence. iMac's power and RAM plus Macbook's or single iMac CPU power and RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.