Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
My family decided to buy my grandparents a mac mini this Christmas. Since it was my idea, and I'm setting it up, I made the purchase and had it shipped to me. I used my education discount (I am a student). The sale went through and it will arrive on Friday.

If the grandparents bring it in for servicing and Apple realizes that this was purchased using an education discount, what can Apple do at that point?

In other words, am I out of the woods yet?

While what I did is not entirely honest…as far as Apple is concerned, isn't it conceivable that I bought it for my own use, but later elected to give it away to a family member?

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
My family decided to buy my grandparents a mac mini this Christmas. Since it was my idea, and I'm setting it up, I made the purchase and had it shipped to me. I used my education discount (I am a student). The sale went through and it will arrive on Friday.

If the grandparents bring it in for servicing and Apple realizes that this was purchased using an education discount, what can Apple do at that point?

In other words, am I out of the woods yet?

While what I did is not entirely honest…as far as Apple is concerned, isn't it conceivable that I bought it for my own use, but later elected to give it away to a family member?

The warranty is tied to the machine, not the buyer. Your grandparents will be fine.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
You are allowed to purchase on a student discount and give as present or deliver directly from the apple store to anyone. It was just restricted in the terms how many computers you could purchase per year. Don't know if that restriction is still in the terms, but you have done the purchase right. They or you can add apple care also. Happy computing. :)

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for the feedback all. I now have peace of mind.

The mini came today. I've got it all rolling. I wont want to give it up.

Now comes the task of teaching two people in their 80s how to use it.

This is their first real computer. The fossil running Win98 doesn't count.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.