Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rutledjw

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
I purchased an iPhone ~3 months ago (right when they came out) and I'm having some intermittent, odd errors. I'm on AT&T and live in the Denver area (in case it matters).

When on the highway, the iPhone has a very hard time keeping a network connection. The only reason I care is I use Siri to call folks & that kind of thing - no, I'm not one of those texting road-hazards. Also, the wireless sync is CERTAINLY a moving target. It will start, but sometimes fail, and then cannot see my MBP until I reboot both the phone & recycle the wireless on the MBP (which is a brand-spanking new bada$$ machine, let me tell you).

NONE of this is consistent. Overall, I'm very happy with the phone, but stuff like this gives me pause just because it smells a bit like a latent issue that could portend an early device death. What do the fine folks here think?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Take it to apple or call them and explain what's happening. They'll probably give you a new phone

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Rather have a working refurb...than a non-working out of the box...;)

This exactly. I've never understood why so many people take issue with receiving a phone that has been verified as having no defects over something out of a shiny new box that has potential for having hardware defects.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
This exactly. I've never understood why so many people take issue with receiving a phone that has been verified as having no defects over something out of a shiny new box that has potential for having hardware defects.

I don't disagree with the basic premise of that argument, of course. But what I do disagree with is if I wanted a refurbished phone I could have jumped ship from Verizon to AT&T and got a refurbished iPhone 5 for $99 with a new contract. I wouldn't have had to pay $199 for a new device, which I had all of 33 days, before being given a refurbished replacement anyways. See where I'm coming from? A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. Better in my pocket than Apple or Verizon's.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
In my experience Apple's refurb phones are less likely to have issues and they look brand new so I don't see the problem either. I've had to replace every one but my original and 4 and the refurbs worked perfectly the entire time I had them.

To the OP, are you on LTE yet? I'm still on 4G in Colorado Springs and don't have issues while driving.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
In my experience Apple's refurb phones are less likely to have issues and they look brand new so I don't see the problem either.

Agreed! My daughter bought a referb iPhone 4 and it works perfectly and is, to all extents, identical and indistinguishable from a brand new one.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Agreed! My daughter bought a referb iPhone 4 and it works perfectly and is, to all extents, identical and indistinguishable from a brand new one.

Maybe on the 4 or 4S they're less distinguishable, but the 5 is an entirely different monster due to building materials. Glass can chip, shatter, or crack. While aluminum scratches extremely easily. And most of the time a lot of this scratching is happening at the factory before the phone ever reaches it's owner.

MassTownie

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
StL
My kids have refurbished phones, able to upgrade to 32Gb at the same price for the 8gb when the IPhone4 first came out. Have been great phones.

This being said...I would be a bit concerned if I bought a brand new one and was handed a refurbed one after it broke...I get it.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Maybe on the 4 or 4S they're less distinguishable, but the 5 is an entirely different monster due to building materials. Glass can chip, shatter, or crack. While aluminum scratches extremely easily. And most of the time a lot of this scratching is happening at the factory before the phone ever reaches it's owner.

Pardon? :confused:

From what you say, I assume you have personal experience of Apple's refurbished iPhone 5? Do you really think Apple would supply a refurbished phone with a cracked screen?!

You refer to "most of the time a lot of this scratching is happening at the factory before the phone ever reaches it's owner". Methinks you are taking reports on such issues reported in Macrumors et al a little too literally. As a proportion of the total sale of iPhones, these "complaints" represent a minute minority.

nancyfromafrica

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Johannesburg
these days they create phones with thousands of functionalities and forget to keep the most important function of all that it to connect to a network. Cameras, games, music, where is the phone in all this an iphone 6 should be one which can connect to the farthest network, it should be able to connect to a network in Korea while you are sitting in Africa.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Pardon? :confused:

From what you say, I assume you have personal experience of Apple's refurbished iPhone 5? Do you really think Apple would supply a refurbished phone with a cracked screen?!

You refer to "most of the time a lot of this scratching is happening at the factory before the phone ever reaches it's owner". Methinks you are taking reports on such issues reported in Macrumors et al a little too literally. As a proportion of the total sale of iPhones, these "complaints" represent a minute minority.

I disagree. And I never said anything about a refurb having a cracked screen.

rutledjw

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Hey, thanks for the responses, folks! I'm going to get a genius appointment and see what they think. I just don't want to end up with an ENTIRELY dead phone in precisely 13 months! (i.e. post warranty).

To the OP, are you on LTE yet? I'm still on 4G in Colorado Springs and don't have issues while driving.

Sometimes - I spend a lot of time on 4G (which is still a big improvement over 3G), but LTE coverage is still sporadic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.