Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
And how would you browse pages, interact with roll down menus, follow links in text? This would be a horrible experience...

oh no, sorry i had not made myself clear.
to use this feature one would connect a Keyboard and trackpad over bluetooth.
and enjoy a browsing experience from the couch.

you make a valid point in regards to using the browser with only the remote.
thank you for your input.

lja

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Airplay no longer works ?

Installed 5.2, now airplay doesn't work from my (or the GFs) iPhone/iPad. :mad:

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Seems this update introduced a ton of bugs to my apple tv. Netflix errors, and hulu plus left and right.

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone else have the issue after updating where iTunes in the cloud doesn't show all of your music purchases? It only shows approx. half of mine.

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
The new Bluetooth doesn't work on my 3rd gen.

I already have my iMac's Bluetooth keyboard, I don't need another do I?

The Bluetooth section of my 3rd generation Apple TV says "Searching" with the circular spin lines after that. However it doesn't do anything after that.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

The Bluetooth section of my 3rd generation Apple TV says "Searching" with the circular spin lines after that. However it doesn't do anything after that.

Did you verify that the keyword isn't paired with the iMac. That can create issues using it with something else. If it is still connected, disconnect it and try again. See if that solves it

----------

I assume they want you to utilize iCloud as opposed to your local system for this. I know it doesn't fix the issue of ripped movies, since they don't yet match our own personal video content at this time.

Would be nice for Apple to at least offer that option too.

Studios would never allow it. And certainly not without requiring Apple to charge like $100 up a year (on top of the $25 for music). And would probably make them restrict matched videos to the SD versions. And that would be just for movies. Get the nets in this as well and it would be another $100 up a year for shows as well. Restricted to SD and geographies. No uploading either. If its not in local store, no go.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Settings > iTunes Store > Accounts > Add New Account

Then when you want to switch accounts, you go back there and you'll see "Switch to Account" with the ones you've added listed.

It's a relatively new feature. I think it was added with the previous update.

It would be nice if you could see everything from all accounts on one list regardless of source (just divided by media type). So the only reason you might have to go there is to select which account to buy something from.

----------

Apple might need to be involved depending on how the TV app is written. For all we know Netflix provides the API and Apple writes the software.

It would be the other way around. That said there are ways in the SDK to create controller links between iOS devices so it is likely possible to do so with a device and Apple TV or could be if someone big like Netflix asked.

I say submit the idea to Netflix. If not within their main app, then perhaps a Netflix Remote app. If enough folks do it then perhaps it will happen. Submit the idea of a controller mode for Apple TV apps to the device copy to Apple as well, in case it isn't in the SDK.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Will we ever get the ability to play iTunes Extras on our Apple TV 2/3???

When the studios get their heads out of their butts. They don't want to allow this because they want to keep selling discs. It's moronic.

If they had a real clue they would allow it and also add more features to basically everything (TV shows included). Really let folks have a choice between digital or disc. Such things would make the same as disc prices not so insane. And if they want to something a little more indie like how Warners did their apps they need to make the movies appear independently for those that want to watch the movie on a device without the other stuff.

But the guys in charge of my industry are stupid and see everything as hurting the (insanely outdated) ratings or making it easier to pirate.

----------

Can I ask a question. Do any of your with Apple TV have issues with the AirPlay default being stuck on OFF every time you turn on your TV?

It drives me nuts that I have to go into settings to turn it ON before it works each time. I am curious to know if it is only me, or a common issue. Thanks.

We had that happen a couple of months ago with the one that we have in the production trailer. I restored it off our laptop and it hasn't had any issues again

----------

Absolutely correct. If the media companies would be willing to work out some deals, I am sure Apple would be all over it.

I disagree. I don't think that Apple really wants iTunes Video Match at all. what they want is more likely to get folks off buying discs completely. And with a few tweaks like better quality, pricing etc they could reach it. Maybe at some point in the future they might work on some kind of match system but it is probably a second tier, even fifth tier, concern at this point.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
Not sure what the advantage of this would be. Wouldn't any TV in a home entertainment setup already have connected speakers? Does anyone actually even make dual stereo speakers for airplay (not the single box that booms out "stereo")?

Please someone...explain.

My atv is connected directly to a preamp via optical, which in turn feeds a huge power amp. Never once does audio pass through a tv or hdmi cable. In fact, my tv is a plasma monitor without speakers.

Now I can finally play audio from YouTube movies without having my tv on.

Previously it wouldn't play without the hdmi video handshake.

Rejoice!!!

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
Did you verify that the keyword isn't paired with the iMac. That can create issues using it with something else. If it is still connected, disconnect it and try again. See if that solves it.

I tried to turn the Bluetooth off in my iMac but that didn't work. If you can unpair the keyboard, how do you do that? Thanks.

Last edited:

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I tried to turn the Bluetooth off in my iMac but that didn't work. If you can unpair the keyboard, how do you do that? Thanks.

With the keyboard within range, click on the Bluetooth icon in the iMac's menu bar. In the menu list, you should find the keyboard (along with any other BT devices such as a mouse). Click it, and select Disconnect. This should "unpair" the keyboard, allowing you to pair it with the Apple TV.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Click it, and select Disconnect. This should "unpair" the keyboard, allowing you to pair it with the Apple TV.
That won't unpair the keyboard. You need to go into System Preferences, Bluetooth and remove it from that list to unpair it.

MacSince'85

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012

If it is a white plastic BT Keyboard (A1016) and not the aluminum newer style it won't work with an iOS device.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4112

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.