Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syavno

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
I'm still using an early 2008, 15" MBP. Waiting on the slim chance that :apple: will release a 15" MBA. Anyone else think it'll happen? :eek:

There was that one possible rumor (a year or so ago), following an Apple quarterly earnings conference call.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Judging by the UNEVEN-gate and UNALIGNED lids and hinges-gate posts, I don't think u want an Air 15" until it's made of something stiffer than aluminum.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
<0.1%. It would make no sense as far as product line differentiation, would be a low volume seller, and would not justify Apple's development and production costs on a profit basis compared to other products. Also, it would compete with rMBP 15, which honestly, is extremely thing as it is. Plus, as a product, it's kind of pointless in my opinion. An Air that large of a screen size would lose a lot of its weight advantage, to the point where you might as well get the rMBP, and the footprint would be ginormous. Kind of defeats the purpose of an Air.

syavno

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
<0.1%. It would make no sense as far as product line differentiation, would be a low volume seller, and would not justify Apple's development and production costs on a profit basis compared to other products. Also, it would compete with rMBP 15, which honestly, is extremely thing as it is. Plus, as a product, it's kind of pointless in my opinion. An Air that large of a screen size would lose a lot of its weight advantage, to the point where you might as well get the rMBP, and the footprint would be ginormous. Kind of defeats the purpose of an Air.

I see your point. The weight difference between the 13" rMBP and MBA is 0.61 lbs, and the difference in thickness is 0.2 cm. It seems logical that a 15" MBA would have very similar weight/thickness specs to the rMBP. In that case... perhaps I'd be satisfied if the 15" rMBP experience a drop in price. :rolleyes:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I quite like the form-factor of the 15" Samsung Series 9 netbook. I would buy it if Apple released something like that: a 15" MBA. I don't need a discrete graphics card. Although the retina display looks great, for me it's not a worthwhile if I have to compromise battery size and weight; I'd rather have less battery and a thinner computer than a retina display.

On that note: notice that the 15" Samsung Series 9 has user-replaceable RAM and mSATA SSD, but is thinner than a MBA. Just sayin' :p

help4desk

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2013
I'm still using an early 2008, 15" MBP. Waiting on the slim chance that :apple: will release a 15" MBA. Anyone else think it'll happen? :eek:

There was that one possible rumor (a year or so ago), following an Apple quarterly earnings conference call.

Never say never, but right now it seems unlikely.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Why would you buy a 15" Air where the 15" rMBP wouldn't have too much size/weight difference.

It could be a cheaper 15" Mac. Dual core CPU, integrated graphics. Possibly even longer battery life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.