Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I think Apple is quite nervous about releasing an iPad Mini with Retina. I'm fairly certain the new Mini will not have a Retina screen and the iPad 5 will have the new bezel.

A Retina Mini would KILL the iPad. Straight up, the iPad will be killed by another iPad. It's like if you have this extremely badass sports car that costs $200,000 and there's a $120,000 version that's just as fast but only has two seats and gets slightly better gas mileage.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think Apple is quite nervous about releasing an iPad Mini with Retina. I'm fairly certain the new Mini will not have a Retina screen and the iPad 5 will have the new bezel.

A Retina Mini would KILL the iPad. Straight up, the iPad will be killed by another iPad. It's like if you have this extremely badass sports car that costs $200,000 and there's a $120,000 version that's just as fast but only has two seats and gets slightly better gas mileage.

Some people want the R8 with the V12.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Some people want the R8 with the V12.

Well the ModBook Pro is still taking orders but takes a long time for the tablet to be ready. I see what you're saying though.

Anyway, the point is Apple was caught off guard with how WELL the Mini sells. It is outselling the regular iPad. I'm sure they don't want to completely kill the iPad, it's one of their pride and joys.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I find a smaller tablet to be redundant..I've found no real reason to carry around a tablet in day to day life. They are cumbersome for productivity and just a extra device to carry around if I need to use it for something such as quick internet look-ups..my 4.2" phone is perfectly suitable for on the fly internet browsing and small tasks.

I use a tablet mostly at home, would rather have the larger iPad than the smaller one. Even at work I'd rather work with a 9.7" screen than a 8" screen.

Obviously this is just an opinion. I also strongly believe the mini outsells the iPad right now because there is a substantial price difference between the two. $500 for a bare 16GB is really ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I prefer the mini now over my 3 for many things, esp. bedtime reading and on planes. But I prefer my 3 when I can sit it on a table like and more long term reading. Ultimately, I like having both a "full" size and a mini, so I know I'll upgrade to one of each when the time comes. (Only way I'll buy another mini is if it's Retina though AND is same weight or less.)

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I will go for the mini again... nothing can beat its weight/dimensions advantage when lying on the bed :p:cool:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I do not see the size changing from 9.7 inches for the display. Too many folks like the smart case and covers and I am sure would not want to have to buy something else.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
It really just depends. I don't mind the size and weight of those icky 8.9 and 10" Samsung tablets. If Apple can get the iPad 5 in that same ballpark, I would consider it.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
For me it's not a question of the PPI but the scale of the fonts. I'm happy with the Mini just now (I have a 4 too) but it bugs me that in a lot of apps the fonts are too small, like Google Currents for example.

The screen of the Mini actually looks a bit better for bigger fonts. That's my gripe about my iPhone 5 too. But maybe that's a 40 something moan!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It's always strange to see so many people thinking the Mini will destroy the full size iPad. It reminds me of the people who said that the full size was absolutely necessary, that Apple would never sell a Mini, and if they did, it would be a complete flop.

The fact is that there is plenty of room in the iPad market for two sizes. One isn't going to completely destroy the other.

nerdybooboo

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
West coast PST
1) if the full size ipad becomes thinner and lighter wth the same screen real estate, i will upgrade from my iPad 4.

2) if the iPad mini 2 has retina display, i will buy it too

one (iPad) is a lonely number lol :p:apple:

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Having both a regular and mini tablet at home, I currently prefer the regular. A slightly smaller and lighter version would definitely be a plus. I have been thinking about getting a mini for myself too, get the best of both worlds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.