Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
My iPhone 5 keeps switching from one brightness level to another.

Like once in a while I will change it, and then randomly it might revert back to a previous brightness setting.

Has anyone experienced this type of glitch and inconsistency?

It's kind of annoying...

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
My iPhone 5 keeps switching from one brightness level to another.

Like once in a while I will change it, and then randomly it might revert back to a previous brightness setting.

Has anyone experienced this type of glitch and inconsistency?

It's kind of annoying...

Yes, I've had this a few times when unlocking from the lock screen. I had to change the brightness back up in the settings. :( I have auto brightness off BTW.

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Happens to me sometimes. Only on the lockscreen. I relock the phone and wake again to fix it.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yes, I've had this a few times when unlocking from the lock screen. I had to change the brightness back up in the settings. :( I have auto brightness off BTW.

I would get this same issue, but since I've had auto brightness on I haven't noticed it now that I think about it.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
It happens both with auto brightness off, or on. It's not an auto brightness thing. The whole brightness setting literally changes across the drag bar.

And usually seems to go to a previous point it used to be at shortly after being changed.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Between this and the inconsistent alert behaviors I'm starting to get a bit peeved at the software designers in charge of these elements.

Just like what's his name got fired maybe these guys should face a bit of the ol "we'll go ahead and pay you for today but..."

I mean how hard is it to make, in an era where our computers send us to Mars, how hard is it to make it ring when you get a text and to stay that way. Or to not spastically change your brightness meter.

I dunno how programming works, but I know relative to how many pieces of software execute simple things flawlessly, that this is well within reason to ask that it works how its supposed to just work.

I mean this is quite ridiculous.

My old Palm Treo would ring when it was time to ring.

Step your quality control up Apple. And it's been years time this ringer thing happened and STILL happens?!

Who do they have to fire to make sure this gets solved?

S

syd430

Er it's not a bug. It's the brightness adjusting to changes in ambient light. Auto brightness works differently in ios 6. You have to "train" it at different preferred levels in order for it to learn how it should adjust in certain conditons. You will also see the slider moving towards that preference if you have the settings open.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011

Happens to me sometimes. Only on the lockscreen. I relock the phone and wake again to fix it.

I have the same thing happen to me....like jrodsep said, just hit the sleep button again and then wake it back up. No need to go into the settings when this happens. Definitely annoying though.

----------

Er it's not a bug. It's the brightness adjusting to changes in ambient light. Auto brightness works differently in ios 6. You have to "train" it at different preferred levels in order for it to learn how it should adjust in certain conditons. You will also see the slider moving towards that preference if you have the settings open.

When you don't have auto-brightness on, and it randomly dims the screen when unlocking the device, it most certainly is a bug.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
I have something similar. If I click the lock button too quickly my iPhone's brightness will go from 100% to the minimum you can set it to until you go to settings where it shows the bar still at 100% but when you touch the bar the brightness goes all the way back up.

Samz87

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
same issue with brightness

I have been having the same problem with brightness suddenly going to low - really annoying and just started for me. July 2013

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Apple is aware of this problem - it has to do with the light sensor on the device being defective. I've had mine replaced once and two other people I know have had theirs replaced as well for the same problem.

You should make a Genius Bar appointment and get it replaced while it's still under warranty.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Happened to me at the lockscreen several times, it's been there since iOS 6.0

I also believe it's a software issue. My iPhone 4 has the same issue and it worked before. I don't think it's specific to the iPhone 5.

My 3GS on the other hand works as it always has been.
Maybe the hardware sensor for the 4 and 5 is the same and the 3GS uses an older sensor and different software drivers.

Spaz De Andrew

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
Please thumb this up so the people can see;

It's either a bug or some kind of feature, activated by pressing the lock button and the home button in rapid succession. Not too fast or it will take a picture of the screen, but slightly slower.

Have your iDevice on the lock screen yet awake, then press lock and home button quickly. This will dim the device until the next time it is locked.

Hope this solves the question,

-Spaz De

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.