Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:07 AM   #28
hogo
macrumors regular

The watch cometh.
hogo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:41 AM   #29
carlgo
macrumors 68000

A truly flexible screen could make for a fabulous Apple-esque TV set. If the color, etc was good of course.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:28 PM   #30
gm713
macrumors newbie

How about an iPad Nano that wraps around your wrist, doubles as a watch?
gm713 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:48 AM   #31
Moonjumper
macrumors 65816

OLED is still maturing as a technology, IGZO is at an even earlier stage. Both have great potential, but there is no guarantee that anything will come of it. It makes sense to be developing both if it is affordable (and Apple does have the money). Backing all horses means you will always get the winner.
Moonjumper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:42 PM   #32
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816

It's a good thing that Apple and LG don't have a no-hire policy.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:26 PM   #33
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
An OLED display contains fish semen. You be the judge.

Good luck on getting a straight answer on what the "O" in "OLED" means though. Most sources simply define it as "genetic material".

Oh yes, here's an old article I can cite. Cheers: Salmon Sperm Used to Intensify LEDs Grossify Everyone
You're probably trolling, but as a med student I can tell you that there are several known substances that have been found in...errr let's just say awkward places in flora and fauna.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:09 PM   #34
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
You're probably trolling, but as a med student I can tell you that there are several known substances that have been found in...errr let's just say awkward places in flora and fauna.
I'm trolling? Here's how MR defines it:
Quote:
Trolling. Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned.
Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products. Also, what do flora and fauna have to do with anything whatsoever?
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:17 PM   #35
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm trolling? Here's how MR defines it:

Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products. Also, what do flora and fauna have to do with anything whatsoever?
Geez they just found out at a certain substance in salmon sperm enhances OLEDs. That doesn't mean they use salmon sperm.

My point was, that a lot of beneficial substances have been found throughout various excretions from plants and animals.

Or: did you ever wondered how they made your flu shot?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:37 PM   #36
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Geez they just found out at a certain substance in salmon sperm enhances OLEDs. That doesn't mean they use salmon sperm.

My point was, that a lot of beneficial substances have been found throughout various excretions from plants and animals.

Or: did you ever wondered how they made your flu shot?
They do use salmon sperm. It's readily available and prior to OLEDs, the stuff was thrown out. It was considered waste in the fishing industry. Plenty of nasty things are used everywhere, certainly, but once you know how it's made, it's tough to go back to the time where you didn't. Don't see why I should have to explain this to you, but oh well...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Trolling gets you banned. Quoting gross facts relevant to the article does not. Call me crazy but I do not want salmon sperm in my mobile products.
As long as you don't break the screen, and it doesn't smell at all, you don't really have to deal with it. Hell, they could use cow snot for all I care, so long as it produces a nice image.

Though I do have to admit that, in this situation, ignorance was kinda blissful.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:45 AM   #38
Sayer
macrumors 6502a

This is probably for a new project that will take two to three years to reach fruition, if at all.

Most likely it's for some future "wearable" technology ideas brewing inside Apple as with all other major tech companies who can afford the research.

OLEDs have horrible burn-in problems and tend to literally decay after a year or two, not the best thing for long-term use like a computer display (or TV).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:18 AM   #39
eXoticon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
Having seen IGZO, I have 0 interest in OLED.
What do you mean? IGZO and OLED are technologies related to different parts of the display and they can be used together.
eXoticon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:02 PM   #40
Galatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
They do use salmon sperm. It's readily available and prior to OLEDs, the stuff was thrown out. It was considered waste in the fishing industry. Plenty of nasty things are used everywhere, certainly, but once you know how it's made, it's tough to go back to the time where you didn't. Don't see why I should have to explain this to you, but oh well...
They didn't use salmon sperm per se. They extracted the saDNA out of it and combined with a substance so it became water unsollutable.
The point he was making with the salmon sperm was that you could use an otherwise waste product for this, but for a mass production it is just not feasible and definitely not as efficient as simply using a PCR to quickly produce lots of DNA.
Galatian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:33 PM   #41
michealwillard
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Good luck on getting a straight answer on what the "O" in "OLED" means though. Most sources simply define it as "genetic material".

Oh yes, here's an old article I can cite. Cheers: Salmon Sperm Used to Intensify LEDs Grossify Everyone

So you're saying they can make an edible phone?
michealwillard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:20 PM   #42
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwillard View Post
So you're saying they can make an edible phone?
You eat salmon sperm?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:34 PM   #43
dbyway
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Is it bad that as soon as I hear the words: LG and Screen I think of image retention? rMBP...
I had that but mine was a Samsung screen.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:14 PM   #44
doelcm82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So does water, according to W.C. Fields (explaining why he preferred to drink gin).
doelcm82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion