Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:14 PM   #51
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
Who would you like to vote for then?.
I like what the SWP has to offer.

[[QUOTE=Eraserhead;17192770What has Galloway actually achieved? I can't think of anything really.[/QUOTE]

He denounces the political system. That alone should give him a place in parliament...

Last edited by rovex; Apr 25, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:19 PM   #52
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovex View Post
I like what the SWP has to offer.

[

He denounces the political system. That should give him a place in parliament alone...
Swappies,got nothing to offer at present and exploding internally in the most spectacular way.That's not to offend many of the earnest young members who at least are trying but Trotskyism is not really a starter.
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:33 PM   #53
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
Swappies,got nothing to offer at present and exploding internally in the most spectacular way.That's not to offend many of the earnest young members who at least are trying but Trotskyism is not really a starter.
I won't dispute the severity of the rape scandal, but you'd be hard pressed to claim lab-con are averse to any wrongdoing of the sort. Regardless, that shouldn't take anything away from its policies. Honestly, i wouldn't want this country to go after another helpless state, would you?

Didn't intend to derail the thread, but anyway.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:21 PM   #54
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
A lot of the criticism should be levelled at none other than the War Criminal Donald Rumsfeld, who was the Public Face of Aspartame™ and chief apologist for their fraudulent testing regime. Google him.[COLOR="#808080"]
Yes, him too. I am so glad he is not in DoD. He was too high on his horse but knew he was in for it when Pelosi became the go to person in line to be Speaker. It's amazing how quiet and anonymous he became.

Last edited by 63dot; Apr 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:00 PM   #55
rovex
macrumors 65816

http://theweek.com/article/index/243...ss-destruction

Interesting use of 'WMD'.

My toaster exploded the other week, little did I known i was in fact toasting with a WMD.

Last edited by rovex; Apr 26, 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:29 PM   #56
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
http://theweek.com/article/index/243...ss-destruction

Interesting use of 'WMD'.

My toaster exploded the other week, little did I known i was in fact toasting with a WMD.
What does this have to do with the original topic? Your toaster exploded sure, but you didn't place it in the middle of a bunch of families to harm them when it exploded. Therefore its not a "weapon".
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:36 PM   #57
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
What does this have to do with the original topic? Your toaster exploded sure, but you didn't place it in the middle of a bunch of families to harm them when it exploded. Therefore its not a "weapon".
If the article is to be believed, "any explosive" device is a WMD, regardless of impact. My toaster exploded, the impact was minor (dent in the wall), but if I or anyone had been hurt, that would make it a WMD.

After all, we're talking about pressure cookers here.
rovex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:44 PM   #58
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
If the article is to be believed, "any explosive" device is a WMD, regardless of impact. My toaster exploded, the impact was minor (dent in the wall), but if I or anyone had been hurt, that would make it a WMD.

After all, we're talking about pressure cookers here.
A WMD is a weapon that can kill and bring significant harm to a large number of humans and/or cause great damage to man-made structures.

From fbi.com

Quote:
Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) are defined in US law (18 USC 2332a) as:

“(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title (i.e. explosive device);
(B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
(C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title)(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.”

WMD is often referred to by the collection of modalities that make up the set of weapons: chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE). These are weapons that have a relatively large-scale impact on people, property, and/or infrastructure.
In this case the pressure cookers were made to be explosive devices intended to cause harm to as many people as possible.

But I think this belongs in another thread don't you?
obeygiant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:49 PM   #59
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
A WMD is a weapon that can kill and bring significant harm to a large number of humans and/or cause great damage to man-made structures.

From fbi.com

In this case the pressure cookers were made to be explosive devices intended to cause harm to as many people as possible.

But I think this belongs in another thread don't you?
The article states the impact of the explosion is not taken into account. Did you even read the bloody thing? I think it's a bit of laugh to be honest.

Quote:
By law, a WMD can be "any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas," including bombs, grenades, and mines, regardless of their blast potential
My toaster was an explosive device, Potentially i could of been injured. I don't see any difference, if we were to go by what Boston prosecutors claim as being a WMD.

Last edited by rovex; Apr 26, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 02:59 PM   #60
lannister80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Like a fertilizer plant.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:58 PM   #61
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Like a fertilizer plant.
nope.
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:36 PM   #62
63dot
macrumors 601

I tried the Floyd Rose licensed versions and I found that it's a case by case basis. There's no blanket statement applicable.

The low end Floyd licensed on the affordable 100 series ESPs basically get the job done but only have a slightly better tuning stability than a Kahler which does not lock at the bridge. But an Ibanez Edge tremolo, also licensed by Floyd Rose, is better than any Floyd Rose product out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_Edge

It's not always about tuning stability though. I don't overuse the tremolo so I get by with a non-locking, old school Bigsby tremolo, as pictured in my avatar (ESP/LTD Viper electric guitar with aftermarket Bigsby)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:32 PM   #63
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
I tried the Floyd Rose licensed versions and I found that it's a case by case basis. There's no blanket statement applicable.

The low end Floyd licensed on the affordable 100 series ESPs basically get the job done but only have a slightly better tuning stability than a Kahler which does not lock at the bridge. But an Ibanez Edge tremolo, also licensed by Floyd Rose, is better than any Floyd Rose product out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_Edge

It's not always about tuning stability though. I don't overuse the tremolo so I get by with a non-locking, old school Bigsby tremolo, as pictured in my avatar (ESP/LTD Viper electric guitar with aftermarket Bigsby)
Are you sure this is in the correct thread?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:49 PM   #64
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
...unless you're a wheat product.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 08:40 AM   #65
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Are you sure this is in the correct thread?
It does seem to be slightly OT.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:15 AM   #66
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
It does seem to be slightly OT.
Oops, but not any more off topic than exploding toasters.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 01:38 PM   #67
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I don't object to the drones per se - we are at war (a dirty one at that). But I'd like drones to fire sniper bullets that hit only an identified person rather than taking out a an entire building. I'd also like our government to think the consequences of using drones through. We have the drones now. What happens when terrorists have them? I think we have opened Pandora's Box....
Sorry to activate an old thread, but it seems my fear was not wholly unrealistic (see BBC story claiming terrorists in Iraq have been found making chemical agents while in possession of model airplanes, presumably to deliver the toxins). Model airplanes might not count to some as 'drones', but filled with a nerve or biological agent they could cause quite a lot of damage, and we will have very little moral high ground to stand on. Mark my words - using drones was a short-sighted tactical move that will backfire badly. I do wish our leaders would learn to think a few steps ahead...

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues