Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:37 PM   #76
Jnesbitt82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
I seem to remember something along the lines "If you can't respect the man, respect the office.".

Has this changed at the hands of Republicans?
It hasn't been lost on the Republicans or Democrats. It doesn't matter which party is in office, they vilify the others candidate. Before Obama, people were threatening Bush, calling him a monkey, and doing downright hateful things to his image and pictures. Before Bush, people did he same crap to Clinton. The only thing that has changed is each time the line is pushed further and further into what should not be acceptable.
Jnesbitt82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:26 AM   #77
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnesbitt82 View Post
It hasn't been lost on the Republicans or Democrats. It doesn't matter which party is in office, they vilify the others candidate. Before Obama, people were threatening Bush, calling him a monkey, and doing downright hateful things to his image and pictures. Before Bush, people did he same crap to Clinton. The only thing that has changed is each time the line is pushed further and further into what should not be acceptable.
Very true, except now if its done against his holiness-the perp must be a racist-it's the only reason now.
stubeeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:56 AM   #78
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post
Very true, except now if its done against his holiness-the perp must be a racist-it's the only reason now.
Yet if it were done against the POTUS before Obama, you must be 'unAmerican'.

Seriously, you don't want to start this up.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:10 PM   #79
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Mocking the POTUS is definitely political, and that's just outside of exercising 1st Amendment rights alone.

BL.
I disagree.

Take a breath, Brad.... sometimes comedy is just comedy.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:17 PM   #80
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgara View Post
I disagree.

Take a breath, Brad.... sometimes comedy is just comedy.
I agree; sometimes comedy is just comedy.

But comedy also has a time and place; that type of comedy at an event that a couple billion people (both domestically and internationally) will be watching is neither the right time nor the right place.

What you're suggesting is like making jokes about the queen in the name of comedy during William and Kate's wedding. Not the right time nor place.

You don't get that.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:24 PM   #81
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
I agree; sometimes comedy is just comedy.

But comedy also has a time and place; that type of comedy at an event that a couple billion people (both domestically and internationally) will be watching is neither the right time nor the right place.

What you're suggesting is like making jokes about the queen in the name of comedy during William and Kate's wedding. Not the right time nor place.

You don't get that.

BL.
No, YOU don't get it.

The Superbowl is an entertainment event. You've said that yourself. Rodeo clowns are also entertainment, and have been at many venues. Why not add the rodeo clown to the Superbowl halftime show? It would be great.

Of course, I don't expect you'd have a problem if he wore a Bush or Cheney mask, would you?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:50 PM   #82
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No, YOU don't get it.

The Superbowl is an entertainment event. You've said that yourself. Rodeo clowns are also entertainment, and have been at many venues. Why not add the rodeo clown to the Superbowl halftime show? It would be great.

Of course, I don't expect you'd have a problem if he wore a Bush or Cheney mask, would you?
Yes. I would.

As I said, this being something that people all over the world would watch, having a rodeo clown run around with the mask of the POTUS or vPOTUS is more of a political statement than comedy. The Super Bowl is not the time or the place to make fun of political figures, when its purpose is to have fun and watch football.

This is a prime example of why people don't want politics in sports. You really don't get that, and it's very sad that you refuse to see that.

EDIT: If you really want that, you're free to hack Madden NFL 2012/2013 and add in your own rodeo clowns; just don't be surprised if people don't want to see the results of your work.

BL.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 02:18 PM   #83
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes. I would.

As I said, this being something that people all over the world would watch, having a rodeo clown run around with the mask of the POTUS or vPOTUS is more of a political statement than comedy. The Super Bowl is not the time or the place to make fun of political figures, when its purpose is to have fun and watch football.

This is a prime example of why people don't want politics in sports. You really don't get that, and it's very sad that you refuse to see that.
On the contrary, my eyes are quite wide open on this. It's not politics, it's comedy and entertainment. What's really sad is that you seem to see everything through a political lens.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:16 PM   #84
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
On the contrary, my eyes are quite wide open on this. It's not politics, it's comedy and entertainment. What's really sad is that you seem to see everything through a political lens.
Wait.. seeing everything through a political lens, in a PRSI forum!?!!?

Shudder the thought!!!!

You still don't get the embarrassment this would be in the eyes of the international world in the name of domestic free speech, unless you want a political bloodbath in the middle of a sporting event on your hands. If so, you should see some of the outrage during soccer matches.

Your view on that is too narrow.

BL.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:16 AM   #85
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Wait.. seeing everything through a political lens, in a PRSI forum!?!!?

Shudder the thought!!!!

You still don't get the embarrassment this would be in the eyes of the international world in the name of domestic free speech, unless you want a political bloodbath in the middle of a sporting event on your hands. If so, you should see some of the outrage during soccer matches.

Your view on that is too narrow.

BL.
Well, well, well... Look who decided to make the Super Bowl political.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/obam...er-bowl-sunday
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:30 AM   #86
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:

Yeah, that's about roughly as political as W. throwing the first pitch at the 2001 World Series. Which is to say it's not political in the least.

I swear, some people will take any chance they can get to gripe about Obama. If he were to tweet a picture of him eating breakfast, god forbid he slips up and orders Eggs Benedict, because IT TAKES A TRAITOR TO LOVE A TRAITOR LIKE BENEDICT ARNOLD!
Renzatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:31 AM   #87
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

LOL. The only ones who made the Super Bowl political are the cretins who are complaining about the Cheerios and Coca-Cola ads.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 08:53 AM   #88
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:

If Obama wished people a happy Christmas would that be political?
Eraserhead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #89
tgara
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Yeah, that's about roughly as political as W. throwing the first pitch at the 2001 World Series. Which is to say it's not political in the least.
But the photo was tweeted by the White House, and his political action group. That makes it political.

I liked the Coke ad, btw. Well done. Like many, I don't understand all the backlash. The best one was the Golden Retriever puppy and the Clydesdales in one of the Budweiser commercials, though.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:29 AM   #90
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
But the photo was tweeted by the White House, and his political action group. That makes it political.
Eh. It's the White House twitter page posting pictures of the president doing stuff. It's not trying to make any political statement about anything.

About the worst I can say about it is that it's a little self-aggrandizing, but it's hard to take Obama to task over that, since every president from Washington on has been guilty of doing the exact same thing.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 04:19 PM   #91
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

That's an interesting argument. So, if a politician sends out a picture of him/her doing something using their official communication system, that makes the communication and the event political?

If you think about it, that's a pretty wide net.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 04:25 PM   #92
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
That's an interesting argument. So, if a politician sends out a picture of him/her doing something using their official communication system, that makes the communication and the event political?

If you think about it, that's a pretty wide net.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure that George W. Bush and Laura Bush weren't in Sydney or Atlanta to get legislation passed for Medicare Part D.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:23 AM   #93
tktaylor1
macrumors 6502a

I don't see a tweet of Obama throwing a football making anything political. The only thing I saw that made a political statement was the guy who claimed 9/11 was caused by the government after he stole the mic during interviews.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ess-conference

Thats some mighty fine security, mighty fine.

I will have to say that his form throwing a football looks much better than his form throwing a baseball
Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:32 AM   #94
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:

Sometimes a twitter feed is just a twitter feed. The site seems to want the photo to be political due to the prior "if I had a son" comment, but I don't see how that one was really political either. Sometimes these things are picked over too much.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 05:32 AM   #95
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tktaylor1 View Post
I don't see a tweet of Obama throwing a football making anything political.
Those mom jeans sure make a political statement though.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 08:57 AM   #96
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Those mom jeans sure make a political statement though.
Yes, they look comfortable, if that's political.

The World hates South-paws anyway. Look it up.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:53 AM   #97
satcomer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tktaylor1 View Post
I will have to say that his form throwing a football looks much better than his form throwing a baseball
Looks like he throws like girl (sorry ladies).
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues