Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
What I'm wondering is... at some point, should I write my own programming language that has all those features I miss when I change from language to language?

I haven't read other replies so you'll have to forgive me if I'm just repeating what others have said, but $^#@ no.

The only reason you should do this is if you have a lot of funding behind you, a very strong core team dedicated to the job, and a reason beyond "this code writes funny."

You can't write a language that is good for everything. If you have a problem to solve and don't think any language is available that adequately solves the problem (not perfectly mind you), AND you can fulfill the other above criteria, go nuts. Otherwise, my personal opinion is that you'd be wasting your time.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I haven't read other replies so you'll have to forgive me if I'm just repeating what others have said, but $^#@ no.

The only reason you should do this is if you have a lot of funding behind you, a very strong core team dedicated to the job, and a reason beyond "this code writes funny."

You can't write a language that is good for everything. If you have a problem to solve and don't think any language is available that adequately solves the problem (not perfectly mind you), AND you can fulfill the other above criteria, go nuts. Otherwise, my personal opinion is that you'd be wasting your time.

Well... not wasting their time perhaps. Doing it properly (i.e. not just a syntax-level reskinning of an existing language) is a pretty great educational experience.

I wouldn't expect to produce something generally useful though, true.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
It's Nil, nil and NULL.

:rolleyes:

The way you can blend C and Obj-C (and C++) is both a blessing and a curse. It makes writing valid Obj-C code easier for people leaping from C or C++, but then it also makes it less likely that you'll use some of Obj-C's features (IE, using enumeration blocks instead of for loops.)

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Well... not wasting their time perhaps. Doing it properly (i.e. not just a syntax-level reskinning of an existing language) is a pretty great educational experience.

I wouldn't expect to produce something generally useful though, true.

Very true, an exceptionally wonderful learning experience if that is what you are doing it for, but in terms of the OP wanting to blend parts of different languages they liked together, I still believe a waste of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.