Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
msugarpants
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
JBOD questions.

Hi fellow fanboys. I have a mac mini with Mnt. Lion, and a bridged apple router setup (main one in upstairs closet and another connected to the mac downstairs). With that, I have about 6 terabytes worth of 'stuff' spanned across 7 different hard drives totaling 10th. Nothing is currently backed up. I am getting two 3 terabyte drives on black friday (100$ costco!). With that, I want to create one JBOD with 8tb out of the two 3tb drives and a 2tb drive. That will give me growing room. THEN, with the remaining 6 drives that total 8tb, I want to create a backup that stays up to date when changes are made (none of this includes my 320gb mac mini drive and its external time machine backup). This is not an ideal system, but its a lot more cost effective than two 8tb drives (wife put a 200$ limit on me, haha).

First, is this even possible? two JBOD systems using 10 total external hard drives, all different flavors.

Secondly, is there any smart way to do this? maybe connecting one to the router upstairs or maybe having them connected to separate surge protectors that I can turn off to save some electricity and wear and tear? I am looking for suggestions from some experienced JBOD users.

Thanks
Mike
msugarpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:17 PM   #2
msugarpants
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
anyone?

yeah, I thought this might be a unique situation
msugarpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
monsieurpaul
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Hello,

Your situation is not unique, just a bit complex. If I have understood correctly:
1) You have actually 7 HD for a total of 10 TB filled with 6 TB of data, none of it backed.
2) You are adding 2 HD of 3 TB each and you want to create a setup with a networked (I'm assuming this) JBOD backed up by another JBOD.

Why do you want JBOD ? Do you really need to have folder bigger than 3 TB? Because if one of your HD fails, you may lose all the data in the JBOD.

I don't know what is your budget, but what I would do in your case (and what I did at a smaller scale in my home) is to get a 4-bay NAS (no RAID) for primary data and put the remaining HD in USB enclosures plugged to the NAS for backup. Search this forum, there are countless thread about setting up NAS and backup solutions.
__________________
Proud maker of QRbeam and MemoClip for Mac, alrm for iOS.
monsieurpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:11 PM   #4
msugarpants
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Thank you, monsieurpaul

Thanks for that. You are understanding correctly . So, it looks like I am good to go as this can certainly be done, right? As for budget....I'm married and the wife doesnt want to drop a penny more than the 200$ I mentioned for the set up. So, although your idea is great....its not doable at this point. However, I will look into what you suggest a bit more and consider the safer option, which would likely be cheaper in the long run anyway.

Question, though: You said if i have a drive that fails, I will lose everything in the JBOD, correct? I thought that I only lose what is on that disk but the rest of the JBOD remains in tact, no?

I appreciate the help
mike
msugarpants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
ibarnett
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by msugarpants View Post
Thanks for that. You are understanding correctly . So, it looks like I am good to go as this can certainly be done, right? As for budget....I'm married and the wife doesnt want to drop a penny more than the 200$ I mentioned for the set up. So, although your idea is great....its not doable at this point. However, I will look into what you suggest a bit more and consider the safer option, which would likely be cheaper in the long run anyway.

Question, though: You said if i have a drive that fails, I will lose everything in the JBOD, correct? I thought that I only lose what is on that disk but the rest of the JBOD remains in tact, no?

I appreciate the help
mike
I believe you are correct.
They are totally independent drives.
ibarnett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
FireWire2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Confuse !

Quote:
Originally Posted by msugarpants View Post
...

First, is this even possible? two JBOD systems using 10 total external hard drives, all different flavors.
...

Thanks
Mike
Mike you are confusing me...

Isnt that JBOD is JUST a BUNCH of DRIVE? the mode you refer as Concatenation (SPAN, BIG).

YOU can SPAN as many drives as you ever want, but one of those drive going bad you will have a tough time, but not impossible) to get you data back.

With multiple drives and big volume, it's prefer to have a RAID5

But in your case you have diff size and make, you consider have a set of SPAN volume to back up the data or back the important date, just incase
FireWire2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 AM   #7
monsieurpaul
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWire2 View Post
Mike you are confusing me...

Isnt that JBOD is JUST a BUNCH of DRIVE? the mode you refer as Concatenation (SPAN, BIG).

YOU can SPAN as many drives as you ever want, but one of those drive going bad you will have a tough time, but not impossible) to get you data back.
My mistake, I confused JBOD and SPAN. So drives are independent in JBOD.
__________________
Proud maker of QRbeam and MemoClip for Mac, alrm for iOS.
monsieurpaul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
FireWire2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurpaul View Post
My mistake, I confused JBOD and SPAN. So drives are independent in JBOD.
Yes, You will see Individual drives in DU
FireWire2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Tags
carbon copy cloner, external drives, jbod, super duper, time machine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jbod solution Foxdog175 Mac Pro 4 Dec 12, 2013 01:56 PM
Resolved: Expand JBOD? AT0MAC OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 9 Aug 11, 2013 04:11 PM
JBOD enclosures cohen777 Mac Peripherals 10 Jul 23, 2013 08:47 PM
Mountain Lion JBOD questions nrajack Mac Peripherals 19 Apr 6, 2013 09:28 PM
2x512GB JBOD SDAVE Mac Pro 6 Feb 20, 2013 10:03 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC