Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metuljceek10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hey :)
I have my DSLR Nikon D3100 for one year now and I have Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens. But I figured out this lens is not enough for me.
I really like to buy a lens that is good for shooting landscape (from closer, I don't want to make wide angle shots) and shooting objects from really close (like blossoms, grass, insects and other small objects in details). What I really like to shoot are flowers, small insects, drops on the grass, wheat ear, portraits, sunset (the sun should be big, not just a small dot on the picture), old ships at the seaside, dolphins jumping out of the water, family shots at the holidays...

I decided to buy one telezoom lens and one macro lens. I'm thinking to buy Tamron SP70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD (as a telezoom), but for macro lens I'm divided by Tamron AF SP 90mm F/2,8 Di Macro 1:1 and Tamron AF SP 60mm F/2.0 DI II LD (IF) Macro 1:1.
Tamron 60 has better aperture, but you need to shoot object from closer. What is better advantage - better aperture or bigger focal length?

If you think some other lens is better for what I need, please tell me. And please tell me about your experience with lenses I mentioned above. I'm high school student, so I have to look at the price, too (not more than 900€ for both lenses).

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you think some other lens is better for what I need, please tell me. And please tell me about your experience with lenses I mentioned above. I'm high school student, so I have to look at the price, too (not more than 900€ for both lenses).

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

I'm quite new to this so I'm not going to be able to advise you, but I was pointed to a this website http://www.dpreview.com/products/lenses by one of the more established guys on here and it helped me with my choice of camera. Maybe it will help you pick some lenses to.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Fast aperture isn't so important, because at 1:1 scale you'll usually want to shoot with as small an aperture as possible - otherwise you'll only have a tiny slice of the subject in focus. Using a flash becomes quite important.

As an alternative, how about something like the Sigma 150mm macro plus a flash? Or, if the zoom is important, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 plus some extension tubes for macro?

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I have the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 and it's a rockstar lens for the money! Only downfall is it doesn't have image stabilisation, so you can't just walk up to something, focus and shoot handheld if you want super sharp pictures! A good tripod and head will go a long way, as will macro tracks/rails.

I have discovered that the 90mm Tamron whilst designed to be focused some 290mm away from things, also has a much closer focal point of about 60mm from the end of the lens that brings things much closer again and still with good focus.

The other thing to think of if you are going to use a macro lens is to work from live view on your camera with it as magnified as you can get to check your manual focus is tickety-boo! Don't bother with autofocus at all.

A macro ring light to place on the end of the lens will help your shots freeze to a certain extent also.

If you get extension tubes, make sure they have the contacts to allow aperture control from your camera. If you check fleabay they can be got for under $50!

Most of all, have fun and enjoy the exploration to this side of photography. There are some amazing resources on the indynet if you look for them. No Cropping Zone is a fave of mine.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Tamron makes some good lenses. I have the 28-75 f /2.8 as the usual lens on my Canon 7d. Top quality if you ask me. For my macro work I like around 100 mm. Mine is the 100 mm f/2.8 L from Canon and you just can't get a sharper lens, at least on a Canon mount. My all time favorite film lens was s 104 mm Nikor 2.8. The 1:1 in those lens specs means that the image the lens will give in the viewfinder is the same size at the object being photographed. You can get really close with a 1:1 lens regardless of the focal length. The longer lens will let you get really close without getting really close, though. Dosen't make sense, but trust me on that.

Tl;dr: Go with the 90mm Tammy.

Dale

metuljceek10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Thank you all for answers! Now I decided to buy Tamron 90mm F/2.8. I still don't know wether to buy Tamron 70-300 or not. Maybe 90mm would make shots close enough to me, I will make some and figure out. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.