Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlist

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I am trying notify.app, but I'm not able to get it to work just quite right for outgoing mail through my two Yahoo accounts. Does anyone here have a menubar application to recommend for email notifications on Snow Leopard (10.6.8)?

lawlist

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I have been using Notify.app since earlier this afternoon. It cannot send e-mails with Notify.app with either of my Yahoo accounts, but it receives e-mails okay from Yahoo. Notify.app receives and sends well with Gmail. When the Notify.app is configured to open up an e-mail with my default Mail.app client, it marks the e-mail as read -- which overrides my user preference of don't mark as read (TruePreview add-on). So if I do not send an e-mail using Yahoo with Notify.app, and if I do not open up my e-mails from Notify.app with my Mail.app, it is a workable solution.

I bought Sparrow today, but it automatically marks e-mails as read and doesn't show the read / unread count in the inbox.

The mailtab option in iTunes recommended by cuestakid is a wonderful option for people with only gmail accounts.

lawlist

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
I now have MacBiff and Notify running in the menubar, and like both. I have been unable to obtain a copy of MailCue 2.0.4 and/or a license because the developers discontinued supporting it earlier this year.

lawlist

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Well, more than a year has gone by and there is still no solution . . . Sparrow sucks, and Notify doesn't work with Mountain Lion. I'm going to have to write a letter to the CEO of Apple. Such a simple thing . . . let Mail.app run under the hood and send notifications to the notification center.

lawlist

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
It is a good day for the Mac world!!!

Mail Call (in the App Store) is a suitable replacement for Notify.app. It's missing a few bells and whistles, but the basic functionality is already there.

MacBiff was also updated at the end of 2012.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.