Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:40 AM   #1
bsharrah
macrumors member

Converting Email - PC to Mac

Will be getting a Mac Mini this week (refurb 2011) after only ever using a PC. I have always used Outlook for email and have saved emails from years past that I prefer to keep. I do not want to run Windows on the mac but I can purchase Office for Mac 2011 for $10 through my employer. Would this be my only option in order to keep my emails? Any tips or tricks involved with transferring my emails over? I may be naive but I am just assuming I can export my emails to a .pst file and import them once Office is installed on the mac.

I also have other office files (word docs, excel spreadsheets, publisher docs, etc.). Can these be transferred over and accessed without installing Office for Mac? Sorry - just not sure how all this file conversion is going to work.
bsharrah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

If you use Office for work, then a copy of it for Mac is the way to go. Pages and Numbers ( the Mac equivalent of Word and Excel ) will import office files, but its not an elegant or reliable way of doing things.

Outlook for Mac is full of bugs...I gave up with it in the end, but there are plenty of other ways to organise your email. I use Thunderbird which is a free email client from Mozzila...it has calendars appointments, etc. all plugin and all work well.

You can create local folders on y our Mac to store the emails you wish to keep, but Office For Mac is going to be a must have for you. I had to buy two copies at full price, wish I could get it for $10
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:15 AM   #3
bsharrah
macrumors member

I do not plan to use Outlook for my email. I just want to have access to all these old emails if I need them in the future. I have an iPad and iPhone, and prefer just using the mail app because they sync with each other. If it weren't for wanting my email history preserved, I would not bother with MS Office at all.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
bsharrah
macrumors member

Question - I purchased MS Office for Mac through my employer and it included Lync for Mac. Can anyone tell me what is Lync? Trying to determine if it is even something I want to download.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharrah View Post
Question - I purchased MS Office for Mac through my employer and it included Lync for Mac. Can anyone tell me what is Lync?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lync
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
bsharrah
macrumors member

Thanks. Definitely not something I am interested in installing.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help