Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
To be frank, the OP probably did this to prove to themselves that the coating is durable and posted to help people out, and probably doesn't give two ****** if you believe him or not.

G.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
So I got an iPhone 5 with a rear camera defect and I'm set up to receive a warranty replacement. In the mean time I thought I'd investigate all the rumors of scratching the coating off the aluminium as my phone will be replaced with a perfectly new one anyways.

I've pretty much done everything possible to scratch the phone within reason:

- carried it in a pocket with a ring of sharp keys every day (which scratched my iPhone 4 in the first 2 days fyi)
- dropped it onto the floor a few times
- physically hit it against countertops
- dragged the side against a peice of plywood
- dragged the metal tip of a pen across the side
- played hockey with it on a wood floor
- dropped it 3 feet onto marble floors repeatedly
- thrown it across counters at every opportunity
- dragged a penny across the edge HARD

And my report is that there are no scratches or paint peeling off at all. Apple did a very good job.

I looked through a few threads and saw the pictures of the coating coming off. My theory is that if the coating does come off, it's a deffective phone. Several of the phones have shipped with partially applied coatings brand new, so if it does come off it's probably on a thin spot.

Just thought I'd contribute. Anyone else finding the coating especially durable?

Imagine if you are refused s replacement now because they realise you have been abusing it and tell you it is accidental damage.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
OMG, cannot believe people (want to) believe the op post. The same people would probably die of a hart attack if it were true and he showed you the phone in question...

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
White or black iP5?

Surprised no one's bothered to ask. Troll accusations aside it's been said to make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.