Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
There used to be something parents said to children when they lifted something up, "Is it heavy? Then it's expensive, put it down".

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
well, I've been using my iPhone 5 since launch day. at first, I was so used to carrying the iPhone 4 which was a ton heavier, but felt fine. so then the iPhone 5 was too light. now that I'm used to it, some days, I feel like its too heavy.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Whatever weight, u will get used to it, the human body is amazingly adaptable.

However I must say the 4/4s' heft make them feel like something substantial, like when you are given a piece of jewelry, you bounce it a big on your hands and the weight tells you... oh yeah, this is the good stuff. :)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Honestly you just really get used to it. At this point I feel like it could actually shed more weight and still feel as good, if not better. The 4 feels unnecessarily bulky now. Just how technology progresses.

Masterkevj

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2013
Too light? I see both sides of the argument. I started with a 3GS and had each one after that. I actually got a Galaxy Note 2 before picking up the iPhone 5. I have to say Apple is sticking to a few old principles. People aren't as concerned about smaller, thinner, lighter as we were a few years ago. So maybe that's causing the backlash. Personally I was very surprised at how light the iPhone 5 is and yes, even a little concerned. Almost thought they handed me a non working floor model or something but it's the real thing. I do miss the heft of my 4s and how solid it felt. I could feel my $199's worth. With the 5, tapping out messages gives hollow feedback. It does feel fragile but I'm sure it's durable. I opted for black/slate and already have a few scuffs on the back. If my 4s had LTE, I would have stuck with that. I just hope Apple wows us with the next iPhone. It's gotta be something more.....

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you feel like you're holding three pieces of paper stapled together in your hand, just put a case that's not 'Ultra Thin' on your iPhone, for example the Spigen Slim Armor Case (the 'slim' is relative to really bulky cases like an Otterbox) or the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer.

Problem solved.

I also remember people complaining about the flat, non-ergonomic design of the iPhone 4, which similarly was solved with the bumper that had a top and bottom lip and provided a better grip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.