Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:57 PM   #26
azguy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post

How about the reason is because someone who just bought a mini at the beginning of March might be totally pissed if a retina mini comes out a month later?
I think some practical information might be in order here.

The Apple Stores specifically seem to have quite a bit of leeway on an individual basis when dealing with returns/exchanges.

To your point, I suspect that if you bought a mini, and the mini with retina came out a month later, they would probably exchange it for you. The probably part of this would be based on how you treat them.

In other words, if you are nice about it and ask and instead of demand and have not returned six other items to the store already they will likely take care of you.

Personal anecdote to that point.

I bought a macbook pro about 2 years ago that died about 6 weeks after I bought it. I took it in expecting just to get it fixed. As I was doing that I asked a couple of questions about how to get along while I waited for the repair. The tech paused, said "hold on for a few minutes", walked in the back room and about 5 minutes later came back with a brand new unit.

Can't say that will always happen, but it did for me and is one of the things that keeps me buying Apple
azguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:01 PM   #27
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
And how would you know what my personal finances are?

How about the reason is because someone who just bought a mini at the beginning of March might be totally pissed if a retina mini comes out a month later?
Why else would one go through this trouble then?

You can always sell it and upgrade. Buy the new one (if finances weren't a concern), or just enjoy what you have. Not like it will stop working
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:47 PM   #28
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuyMac View Post
I just love the attitude from people like you - "highly unethical behavior". Who are you to tell him what is or is not unethical behavior? How about you just answer the OP's question and keep the ethics lecture to yourself??
Says the person who is now off-track and lecturing someone else.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Why else would one go through this trouble then?

You can always sell it and upgrade. Buy the new one (if finances weren't a concern), or just enjoy what you have. Not like it will stop working
You're being ignorant. Not everyone finds it easy to take the time and trouble of selling a device (which will ALWAYS be at a loss).

Also, even if finances aren't a concern, not everyone finds it palatable to throw out $400 about a month after shelling out the first $400.

I think it's so funny how people jump to conclusions and then assume that they have to be right. Lots of people don't want to spend more than they have to for lots of reasons.

Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:22 PM   #30
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Someone somewhere probably went through several returns but more so if the device had dings, scratches, dust under the glass, it did not function properly, etc. etc.

But I doubt anyone is going to admit to just keep on returning waiting on the next gen. FWIW, I do not think it is coming out soon BECAUSE the current mini is selling very well so .......
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 05:26 PM   #31
laflores
macrumors regular

Isn't that what Steve Jobs used to do with his personal car?
I read in his biography that he got a new card every 6 months, so he didn't need to get a license plate.
laflores is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:57 PM   #32
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuyMac View Post
That isn't even close to an accurate analogy. You are trying to insinuate that I'm no different from the person offering unsolicited advice. All I'm saying is keep the conversation on point. Answer the questions that are being asked, not the ones that aren't. If the question had been "how many times can I return items, and do you think that is an ethical thing to do?", then it would be perfectly appropriate to chime in with your opinion. If the OP wants to buy and return something 100 times and there is no policy to prevent it, that's for him/her to decide if it is ethical or not.
Note OP:

Quote:
What's to stop someone from, say, buying an iPad mini today and returning it over and over until the mini Retina comes out?
In MY opinion, ethical ramifications. Please go into the other threads of people asking how to pirate app. Then point out that the OP did not ask for opinions to all the people telling him it is wrong.
dextr3k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:24 PM   #33
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextr3k View Post
In MY opinion, ethical ramifications. Please go into the other threads of people asking how to pirate app. Then point out that the OP did not ask for opinions to all the people telling him it is wrong.
Well, in my opinion, if people ask for help in pirating apps, then it is sufficient to point out that it is against the rules of MacRumors Forums to ask for or give help pirating apps. There is no need to lecture people that pirating is ethically or morally wrong.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:21 PM   #34
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by laflores View Post
I read in his biography that he got a new card every 6 months, so he didn't need to get a license plate.
Also unethical.

Show me an ethical CEO and I'll show you a unicorn.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:26 PM   #35
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Two Apple stores in my area are very liberal.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:52 AM   #36
Enjoylife1788
macrumors 6502

Quote:
How is that relevant. He used to changed his cars every six months so that he didn't have to get a number plate. In fact he had to buy a 100000 dollar or so car every 6 months. It was he who had to bear the money for the luxury of not having a number plate. He didn't use to send the car back.
Enjoylife1788 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:24 PM   #37
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

If you keep doing it, the next thing apple send over to your place is some iThugs to set you straight!
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:55 PM   #38
maflynn

[MOD NOTE]
Lets stop the bickering and keep things civil
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:56 PM   #39
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I don't understand the hostility and name calling OP.

Devices do not come out every month as your above post is implying. Apple's policy of 30 day returns partially covers the concerns of new hw being released. Not sure why you think you should be able to buy a device now and get a newly updated one a year later by returning it over and over.

A few things I thought I would add as an alternative strategy and insight:

1) Use your credit card. Alot have benefits that offer price protections and things of this nature that extend beyond 30 days

2) Apple can deny you as a customer. There is no "right" that that you have that forces Apple to keep serving you if you prove to be more of a burden then they are willing to tolerate.
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:17 PM   #40
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I don't understand the hostility and name calling OP.

Devices do not come out every month as your above post is implying. Apple's policy of 30 day returns partially covers the concerns of new hw being released. Not sure why you think you should be able to buy a device now and get a newly updated one a year later by returning it over and over.

A few things I thought I would add as an alternative strategy and insight:

1) Use your credit card. Alot have benefits that offer price protections and things of this nature that extend beyond 30 days

2) Apple can deny you as a customer. There is no "right" that that you have that forces Apple to keep serving you if you prove to be more of a burden then they are willing to tolerate.
All very good points. But can you please read the entire thread first? I have already stated that I've decided not to do this because of the moral implications involved. I don't get why people need to continue to pile on.

If you feel bad that you weren't able to scold me prior to my realization that this is wrong to do, sorry. But we can probably all move on now.
Luis2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:50 PM   #41
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
I was just curious. The Apple Store says you can return any item within 30 days, no questions asked.

My question is, how many times can you do this? What's to stop someone from, say, buying an iPad mini today and returning it over and over until the mini Retina comes out?
If the store says that you can return goods, then they have to accept any returns. They can of course refuse to sell anything to you, which I suppose they would do at some point.

----------

Quote:
Apple doesn't mind if you buy an iPad, sell it on eBay after a month, buy another one, and so on. Nor did Steve Jobs' car dealer mind at all. Probably every month he sold a new car for $100,000 and bought a new one for $70,000.
gnasher729 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:53 PM   #42
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

I would think that returning something over and over might lead to them making a note on the account or whatever they use.

At best buy I returned my iPad 3 three times because of dust under the screen, yellow screen, etc.

After the third time they told me that I would be unable to return ANYTHING for 3
months, which is when I decided to never buy from them again. Frys has better inventory and they price match.

I mean, I could understand not accepting returns on that particular item, but they basically labeled me a serial returner when the real problem was the product quality.
Han Solo 1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:54 PM   #43
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

I find it fascinating and hilarious when people discuss ethics in relation to large corporations.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
If the store says that you can return goods, then they have to accept any returns. They can of course refuse to sell anything to you, which I suppose they would do at some point.

----------

Apple doesn't mind if you buy an iPad, sell it on eBay after a month, buy another one, and so on. Nor did Steve Jobs' car dealer mind at all. Probably every month he sold a new car for $100,000 and bought a new one for $70,000.
Jobs leased his cars. He did take a loss on them though
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:42 PM   #44
mac jones
macrumors 68040

There's one in every crowd

Unfortunately, that rule doesn't to apply to Mac Rumors.

There's too many to count
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:05 AM   #45
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
I would think that returning something over and over might lead to them making a note on the account or whatever they use.

At best buy I returned my iPad 3 three times because of dust under the screen, yellow screen, etc.

After the third time they told me that I would be unable to return ANYTHING for 3
months, which is when I decided to never buy from them again. Frys has better inventory and they price match.

I mean, I could understand not accepting returns on that particular item, but they basically labeled me a serial returner when the real problem was the product quality.
I couldn't see them doing this at an Apple store though, to be honest. Have you tried?
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad