Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 26, 2011
A friend of mine wants the 5s but has Straight Talk. She has the money to buy the phone without a contract but doesn't know whether it'll work or not since Straight Talk isn't officially offering the phone. I'm not familiar with Straight Talk since I use Verizon, but I've done a little research and it looks like all you have to do is cut down the SIM card and change the APN settings? And the T-Mobile version of the 5s that's being sold on Apple's website is unlocked, yes? That's what I've read on here.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Phan0121

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2013
Minnesota
Probably? I would check what bands straight talk uses and if it's available on the 5s.

Also, I'd have her get the verizon b/c the gsm sim is unlocked and it will work with any provider who uses gsm. She then also has the option to use verizon with the CDMA side of the phone if she wants to. Basically gives 3 of the big 4 carriers and any other GSM carrier

----------

Theres a few posts about the t-Mobile Verizon not being unlocked. I think you absolutely need to buy the t-mobile simless for it to be unlocked.

Or avoid the headache and go with the verizon 5s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.